Internal Parasites - Interloper

fenn

I just contracted Internal Parasites while playing Interloper. Yes, it was a 1% chance. The first and last time I make this mistake. 

My question is this: if I do not have the resources to properly treat the parasites - a dose a day for TWENTY days - am I simply dead? I'm reasonably sure I could sprint around PV/ML and the rest of CH looking for Reishi Mushrooms but - is it necessary? Do I have to finish the treatment of all 20 doses in order for the ailment to be fully treated? Could I, say, finish 10 of the 20 doses and then suffer the consequences while the parasites run their course? 

I searched all of the Parasite information I could find and this is never addressed. I know I can miss a dose and the rest of them aren't invalidated. I simply don't know what will happen if I, say couldn't treat it.

• 6 months later...
On 11.10.2016 at 7:29 AM, fenn said:

Do I have to finish the treatment of all 20 doses in order for the ailment to be fully treated? Could I, say, finish 10 of the 20 doses and then suffer the consequences while the parasites run their course? 

I honestly don't know, because I never tried not to treat a parasite infection.^^

However, what I DO know is that I wouldn't advise you this strategy, even in case it's possible (which I doubt because the infection decreases your maximum health over time). On Interloper, a parasite infection becomes a pretty serious (and potentially lethal) handicap, especially during the last days of infection. You're going to be fully exhausted pretty much all the time and your condition will be at approximately 50-60% from maximum at best. Even a single wolf attack will almost certainly kill you under these conditions - not even to mention the massive problems to get rid cabin fever if it ever breaks out.  

Long story short: You should definitely collect these reishi mushrooms while your character is still in a more or less "good" shape. The longer you postpone the treatment, the worse it gets.

Some links to references on the parasite affliction.

Wikia Parasites

Gamepedia entry on Parasites

I could not find anything regarding Pilgrim or Voyageur mode differences. On Stalker you need 10 treatments and on Interloper you need 20.

This link suggests that parasites are not a problem on Pilgrim or Voyageur modes: Talk:Intestinal Parasites Gamepedia

This can be a severe problem especially considering the risk of Cabin Fever developing during recovery. I guess this is another valuable reason to build a snow shelter!

Archived