Bears

mystifeid

My favorite bear is a TWM bear when it does a lap of 'Wing' valley. On an unassailable position, I can build a fire and wait for the bear with my bow. I line a long distance shot up with a mark on a tree so that when I miss, I can adjust the aim of my next shot after the bear finally resumes it's circuit of the valley. Most of the time it takes a couple of hits before one is critical but it is no fear bear hunting.

So I'm at DP in a new game and I've only killed the (interloper) DP bear once in a test build when it visited the Riken. The Riken shot is too easy so I'm glad that in 26 days there has been no evidence of it there. I decide to go looking for it.

Or listening for the crows as they give away it's position. It doesn't take long. The bear walks past the Hibernia entrance as I wait next to the door of a car. I shoot from a reasonable distance hoping that if I miss the bear will run off. Not far enough. I miss and the bear charges but I still have time to let fly another arrow and this time it is a hit. The bear reaches me too late - I'm already inside the car and can see the arrow sticking out of it. But it is not critical. The bear sniffs the car then turns around and walks away. Just you wait! I leap from the car and pump another arrow into it before ducking back inside the car. This has exactly the same effect except that I now see the bear sporting two arrows. We continue in the same fashion as I put another five arrows into it (and see my archery skill go up to level 3) until the last arrow finally produces the desired effect - the bear runs off looking like a pincushion leaving a blood trail.

Great. Seven arrows. Won't take long to bleed out but it's late so I go back to Riken to sleep. In the morning my stats tell me the bear is still alive. Unbelievable. Now I really need to drop it just to get my arrows back.

That afternoon, I inadvertently have the bear charge me again near the small Hibernia trailer yet once again I put an arrow into it's chest and I somehow manage to sprint back to the trailer door before the bear ends me. There is no sign of the bear when I emerge and I return to Riken.

The next morning, the bear is still not dead. I'm starting to think it's invincible. Superbear.

My food supplies are dwindling but I still have three arrows so I hunt, harvest and cook a deer that has re-spawned.

Eight arrows though. Gone. (Again). I think I need to find some birch saplings near Broken Bridge and the bear cave and in the afternoon of the next day I struggle through the weather and find four saplings. Strange though, no sign of the bear. I can't remember a bear that took more than a few hours to bleed out let alone the twelve hours or so that had elapsed when I checked on the morning of the previous day. It must be around. Best stay sharp.

Later that night though, I'm looking at something else in the stats when I see that the bear is in fact now dead. Hooray - cabin fever free arrows. Just need to find the carcass - in DP, no problem.

Over the next two days I scour as widely as the weather and my fatigue allow. No bear. I do find a small pile of five arrows on the road. Since I have seen a bear carcass ruin faster than this, I abandon the search and try to come to terms with balancing the loss of three arrows, a bear skin, ten guts, thirty plus cooking points and the resources required for four days survival against the peace of mind gained from the knowledge that Superbear will not bother me for quite some time.

I fail.

Our basic fault is that we believe the world to be the way it is portrayed by our senses. That we live in a certain world, in a certain way, that we play a certain game, that the game is obeying certain rules, and that by these rules we should be able to explain the phenonema we encounter. But are we perceiving things the way they truly... are? While you were not looking, Superbear might have shaken off five of the piercing arrows and taken flight, off towards the stars and ever onwards, leaving the heavy business of fighting for survival behind. Transfixed on the stars in the eternal distance, Superbear is flying, drifting through silent space... forever smiling... forever musing... about what that hapless survivor, ragged and tired, might think finding those arrows on the road...

2 hours ago, mystifeid said:

Where else are you supposed to aim?

Even though it is completely unrealistic The Long Dark follows the video game trope of head shots having a higher chance of criticals. The only criticals that I've received on bears have been a head shot with a rifle.

18 hours ago, cekivi said:

Even though it is completely unrealistic The Long Dark follows the video game trope of head shots having a higher chance of criticals. The only criticals that I've received on bears have been a head shot with a rifle.

ha say what, I just killed a bear with one shot arrow in my last game play :)

Mind you the poor beast was sleeping in my cave, so I thought I wake it up with a nice arrow shot to the butt. I had no idea what it would do, other than thinking it was just going to rip me to shreds. Anyways seems I got lucky and it ran off. (pilgrim play by the way). Usually they do attack you no matter what game play!

Anyways I new i shot it and wanted my arrow back along with all the food, fur and guts, slept overnight and in the morning finally found the beast not to far from my cave.

ouch that's got to hurt sorry dood.

screen_04f99192-235c-4335-8ac8-5196255b2

yeh hit the bulls eye I think :)

also on another topic - how much meat do we get off these bears? 40kg there abouts? wow to much I think, minimum should be maybe 3 x deer  or sim. so that would be around 28kg meat. If TLD introduce a grizzly bear different story I guess.

Archived