what do you do when you get lost?

AZHockeyNut

Snares work well for me if I'm staying in one place for a time. I always angle them so they point towards my shelter. If you're lost on a larger map, like in real life, you have to pick a landmark and just start walking. Sooner or later you'll reach something or the edge of the map and can then trace around to one of the transition zones. If you're lost in a blizzard the same thing applies: find a landmark (a road, stream or railroad) and follow it until you reach a shelter to wait out the storm.

When setting up shop in a shelter i usually mark the surrounding with many pairs of sticks, so that from every landmark around they point into the direction of the house.

Use double sticks to be sure not to follow some random stick lying around. Use sticks because they are abundant.

Example: Mystery Lake Office: Mark the railroad with sticks pointing to the office as an exit. Along the railroad drop stick-pairs pointing to the direction of the exit at every intersection.

This way you know where to go even in the thickes fog/blizzard.

First of all, full disclosure: The only map where I get lost on a regular basis is Mystery Lake. Roast me :D

What I do depends on why I got lost:

• Low visibility: Find an area that's shielded from the wind, light a fire, maybe build a snow shelter, go to the Winchester and wait for all this to blow over
  • Had to flee from wildlife: Same as above.
  • I fail at navigating: Try to find a vantage point or, if that isn't possible, follow my own tracks. If that doesn't work either, I walk into random directions until I find something

Most of my strategies revolve around being mindful of what I would do if a blizzard hit in the next few moments. So that means doing things like consciously choosing routes between areas that are constructed of easily navigable elements. A good example is Following the frozen river through PV to get from the Timber wolf mountain transition to the Coastal Highway transition. There are shorter routes, but  they run through a lot of land that is just snow and trees. If I hug the left bank I know I'll eventually hit the bridge where the rural crossroads houses are. I don't always follow the river, but I always know which side of it I'm on and I can make a dash for it if the weather turns.

I haven't experimented with dropped trail markers yet, that might help in some of the more difficult areas to stay. There are areas in PV,  ML,  and TWM that I don't have good knowledge of because they are missing navigable elements, so I'm never routing through them. Then again, they tend not to have much of use either. 

On 10/3/2016 at 0:10 PM, Wastelander said:

First of all, full disclosure: The only map where I get lost on a regular basis is Mystery Lake. Roast me :D

I am the same way.  It's impossible to get lost in transition zones.  DP is also impossible.  CH?  Just head downhill.  PV?  Find a creek then look for a bridge.  TWM - it's really just a series of ravines away form the lake.  But the area between Unnamed Pond, Trappers and the railroad tracks can still throw me off in a blizzard.  As always, when lost, go in a single direction until you see and landmark.  

48 minutes ago, Thurman Merman said:

I am the same way.  It's impossible to get lost in transition zones.  DP is also impossible.  CH?  Just head downhill.  PV?  Find a creek then look for a bridge.  TWM - it's really just a series of ravines away form the lake.  But the area between Unnamed Pond, Trappers and the railroad tracks can still throw me off in a blizzard.  As always, when lost, go in a single direction until you see and landmark.  

You're perfectly right but if you're in a bad shape finding the right direction fast can be crucial. In PV there are some big spots. And in CH if you're on the ice and start to get confused it can become messy.

On 10/5/2016 at 8:20 AM, togg said:

And in CH if you're on the ice and start to get confused it can become messy.

Yep.  I lay sticks out from certain fishing huts pointing toward the dock at the townsite.  In a blizzard, you have to start off in the right direction and never swerve.  I frequently will take my hand off my mouse.

19 minutes ago, Thurman Merman said:

Yep.  I lay sticks out from certain fishing huts pointing toward the dock at the townsite.  In a blizzard, you have to start off in the right direction and never swerve.  I frequently will take my hand off my mouse.

That's a really good idea. I will surelly do this map!

• 2 weeks later...

Just keep walking in a straight line. There is no where you cant reach in a few minutes. Eventually you will be somewhere. The maps aren't big enough, or the weather dangerous enough to kill you before you get somewhere you can easily recognize (a lake, river, road, fence) and follow it to safety.

I've gotten lost in a blizzard once and just walked clear across the map and followed a map edge to a cave

Archived