Sleeping without a bedroll

Rifleman

Well, until we are able to collect pine boughs and use them as emergency bedding, the only way I'm sleeping on the cold stone floor of a cave is if someone knocks me out!

You'd be surprised at quickly stone can swipe heat away from your body.  I've slept on both concrete and rock ledges before with just pair of blankets for a bedroll.  In both cases, I had to get out my sleeping bag just to conserve enough heat to maintain my body temperature and have any chance of sleep; and it was mid-summer, too!

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Muk_Pile said:

Well, until we are able to collect pine boughs and use them as emergency bedding, the only way I'm sleeping on the cold stone floor of a cave is if someone knocks me out!

You'd be surprised at quickly stone can swipe heat away from your body.  I've slept on both concrete and rock ledges before with just pair of blankets for a bedroll.  In both cases, I had to get out my sleeping bag just to conserve enough heat to maintain my body temperature and have any chance of sleep; and it was mid-summer, too!

I agree, it's extremelly difficult to sleep without something even at a higher temperature.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, vancopower said:
21 hours ago, vancopower said:

+10 for emergency bedding it should be implemented immediately. 

+10 for emergency bedding it should be implemented immediately. 

but you should explain why :) or it's an empty +10!

4 hours ago, togg said:

but you should explain why :) or it's an empty +10!

I can not do it without using foul language. :) 

I died so many times in interloper trying to get from DP to CH, and it is all because there is nowhere to sleep btwt them besides cars which are cold and can not heal you back up. Is this a good enough reason?

5 hours ago, vancopower said:

I can not do it without using foul language. :) 

I died so many times in interloper trying to get from DP to CH, and it is all because there is nowhere to sleep btwt them besides cars which are cold and can not heal you back up. Is this a good enough reason?

Well, sleeping without bedroll will surelly be colder than a car! What you're asking is to basically destroy the game :) To get from DP to CH you have to be rested and make fires a long the road. And avoid wolfes...

12 hours ago, vancopower said:

As long as the temperature is above 27 Fahrenheit / -3 Celsius inside a vehicle, you can catch some ZZZs and rest for an hour at a time without having to really worry about freezing; although you won't recover a lot of health this way, you can still refill a good portion of your fatigue bar, which will really help you out as you run the gauntlet of wolves to the Misanthrope's House where you can safely rest and begin your recovery.  The truck in the transition zone is a good choice, since it close enough to the mine entrance for you to run to incase a blizzard rolls in and it is closer to Coastal Highway than the truck that is on Desolation Point, so you will have less ground to cover with more energy.

Also, if you manage to collect 5 pieces of cloth, the weather outside is nice, and the temperature is above 25 Fahrenheit / -3 Celsius, then you can safely build a snow shelter and use it to both warm-up and catch a few hours of sleep at a time.  Personally, I'd recommend you build it near the mine entrance at Desolation Point, since Coastal Highway and the transition zone at the other entrance of the mine is regularly patrolled by wolves, while the Desolation Point mine entrance is never harassed by wolves.

• Upvote 1

I just build a toasty warm coal fire outside the car or truck in Crumbling Highway and sleep in 1- or 2-hr stretches.  If the wind has shifted I build a new fire on the now-sheltered side (often with a brand or fire-lit torch -- no extra matches needed) and sleep some more.  Works great.

Edited by Ruruwawa
  • Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

I just build a toasty warm coal fire outside the car or truck in Crumbling Highway and sleep in 1- or 2-hr stretches.  If the wind has shifted I build a new fire on the now-sheltered side (often with a brand or fire-lit torch -- no extra matches needed) and sleep some more.  Works great.

under the hood of the car is a great place to stick a fire, it rarely (if ever) blows out. Just open up the hood and warm up the engine! ;)

28 minutes ago, ElvisHunter said:

under the hood of the car is a great place to stick a fire, it rarely (if ever) blows out. Just open up the hood and warm up the engine! ;)

Wow, great tip.  I've stored meat there before (it's like RPing a New York City homeless person), but never thought about building a fire there.

I once slept in a tent, in a sleeping bag, in the middle of summer (granted, it only reaches around 19°C on average during the summer) and woke up the next morning absolutely freezing because my body heat had been drained by the ground beneath, and so I probably dropped a full degree in my core body temperature. When I put my hands into cold water to wash my face that morning, it felt hot.

I know in an emergency, you sleep wherever you can, but my IRL experiences tell me that some form of insulation is vital 

Edited by EternityTide
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

I've always wondered if that worked, but in 100s of hours of game time and multiple 200 day runs, I have never tried it. :D

Not being able to sleep on the ground with nothing but your clothes has always seemed strange to me as well. It was pointed out that sleeping on the frozen ground would sap you heat very quickly, but, when you're dying from exhaustion, not being able to pass out anywhere, like a cabin with no bed, is odd.

• 3 months later...

I don't understand why you cannot sleep at all without a bedroll or bed? You should be able to just lie down some place an try to sleep. I'd say it would take longer to get your energy back than using a bed, and no bonus protection from the cold...Risks dying in your sleep more.

• 3 years later...