interloper or fix real concerns?

nicko

I seen a lot of posts about the new interloper which is awesome.

but my concern is do these interloper players give concern to other more important issues that should be addressed first? 

1. outdoor fires stacks (they do not stack well and hard to light)

2. brands ( can't re-add to a fire or gather)

anyway just putting it out there, will probably get banned again - have a good day or night :)

On 27.9.2016 at 4:09 PM, nicko said:

but my concern is do these interloper players give concern to other more important issues that should be addressed first? 

anyway just putting it out there, will probably get banned again - have a good day or night :)

This is still not fixed :(. man it is a not a big deal but it does bother me too.

My suggestion on fixing this mater is:

Increase the cost for making brands from 10 min to 20 min decrease in fire. Then you can harvest a brand for 1 stick.

burnt out campfire could be harvest-able too. you can harvest burnt up campfire for 1 tinder

This is simple mechanic and will fix this problem.

8 hours ago, togg said:

How are these important issues? I can't get it.

Different people apparently have a very different understanding of what is important. That's just how it is.:winky:

I personally don't care much (indeed hardly at all to be honest) about stacking campfires or the harvesting of brands either, but it's fine if other players do.

No-one on these forums gets banned for having a different opinion as long as they express it an appropriate and non-dismissive way.

On 9/27/2016 at 7:09 AM, nicko said:

These are both topics the design team is aware of. But as with any aspect of gameplay, when changing things it's a matter of finding the right approach that also doesn't cause other problems, which in turn take more time to resolve. In terms of campfires, we released a fix for occasional crashes players were reporting when too many burnt campfires caused a memory problem. So improving these systems is on our minds. :)

In any case thanks for your thoughts. 

2 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Different people apparently have a very different understanding of what is important. That's just how it is.:winky:

I personally don't care much (indeed hardly at all to be honest) about stacking campfires or the harvesting of brands either, but it's fine if other players do.

No-one on these forums gets banned for having a different opinion as long as they express it an appropriate and non-dismissive way.

I know different people have different ideas etc What I meant is that I don't understand the concern to begin with, it's not that I disagree. If you say "I can't collect burned branches" it's probably better to elaborate a little bit about it. Nobody is a mind reader (or writer lol)!

If those are concerns @nicko, i have a feeling you don't have much faith in the development of the game, or in the Hinterland Studio.
But if you do (not incase you do), allow me to apologise.
Don't misunderstand me, i'm not here to try and bring you down or flame bait you or anything, no all i'm trying to say is that those shouldn't be concerns, not for you, not for anyone.
The game is in Alpha, i bet Hinterland Studio Inc will make a great game, relax (if you aren't) anything you might be worried about, any concern you might have, the team will eventually fix those "issues".
Time is very important, i'm happy that Hinterland realises that time and effort is much more important than simply handing out candy each time someone wants to get some sugar (in most cases... ;))

You know what is a real concern? Never getting that custom difficulty, ha ha ha... ha... ha :( It's not funny :'(

Ps: Don't worry about bans, not the end of the world, i ended up moderating the same forums i had been banned on (several times). Sometimes some lessons are necessary, some words must be read or heard.
Don't worry 'bout all that.

~Hatchet

• 2 months later...

Who's to decide what should or should not be an concern for someone? I say that someone should decide for himself.

Saying the game is in alpha and those issues will eventually be fixed is a reply that can be used for every single bug report, comment or feedback. So maybe we should close the forum and hope for the best..?

I for one am annoyed by the campfire system as it is. You basically have 2 choices:

1. Light every fire in a new spot, cluttering the landscape with burned out fires, especially in places you visit a lot.
  2. Try to light each fire on top of a previous fire, but after a few fires it becomes hard to click on the burning fire instead of one of the old burned out ones.

I don't like either option very much and would like to see this changed. So yes, to me this is an concern.

I don't care for an even harder difficulty mode like interloper so, like @nicko, these campfires are a bigger concern to me than interloper. I get that this is not the case for a large number of players but that does not mean I should not speak up about what concerns me.

I guess I see the point about the campfires........ I like Vancopower's suggestion about harvesting a burnt campfire for 1 tinder!

The only place I see this being a real issue is the outside crafting table at the fishing huts on CH.

Harvesting brands or collecting them?? To me brands are a "very early game" item that I hardly ever use after I find some lamp oil, or get the ability to fish and harvest fish oil for the lantern, or to make torches.

I've got a 60 day run on Interloper going and I'll bet I couldn't find more than 3 or 4 brands on all my maps if I tried. To me personally, the brand, "while I'm glad it's in the game", because it's very important for early survival (first few days),  or a desperate situation when you don't have a torch or lantern, is a non-issue for me.

In my humble opinion......if you've got so many "brands" laying around that they are a concern, you need to re-think your game play.......quickly!

16 hours ago, cowboymrh said:

I guess I see the point about the campfires........ I like Vancopower's suggestion about harvesting a burnt campfire for 1 tinder!

The only place I see this being a real issue is the outside crafting table at the fishing huts on CH.

Well, I like to cook/ boil water outside because:

1. I can start the fire with the magnifying glass if I have one
  2. It helps prevent cabin fever

So around the bases I use there will be a good amount of burned out campfires in no time.

I don't really care how the burned out campfires disappear, be it through harvesting them, via an option to manually remove them or if they simply disappear after a few game days.

17 hours ago, cowboymrh said:

Harvesting brands or collecting them?? To me brands are a "very early game" item that I hardly ever use after I find some lamp oil, or get the ability to fish and harvest fish oil for the lantern, or to make torches.

I've got a 60 day run on Interloper going and I'll bet I couldn't find more than 3 or 4 brands on all my maps if I tried. To me personally, the brand, "while I'm glad it's in the game", because it's very important for early survival (first few days),  or a desperate situation when you don't have a torch or lantern, is a non-issue for me.

In my humble opinion......if you've got so many "brands" laying around that they are a concern, you need to re-think your game play.......quickly!

One way I use brands late game is to light a fire outside with the magnifying glass, than take a brand and use that to light a fire inside. This way I can save my matches for when I really need them. Or if I have lit a fire to keep warm while harvesting a carcass I take a brand so I can light a fire back at my base to cook the meat.

Another use for them is to keep wolves at bay. So yes, I do sometimes gather more brands than I care for in places I visit often. And I don't feel the need to change the way I play the game, thank you very much. Just because you don't use brands very much, doesn't mean others shouldn't either.

The most annoying thing about brands is that if you drop them inside, you can never move them outside because you can't pick it up. In a small space like Trapper's I find it very annoying to have a few brands lying in a corner. In larger buildings you can move them some place you don't notice them all the time.

On 18/12/2016 at 6:28 AM, elloco999 said:

The most annoying thing about brands is that if you drop them inside, you can never move them outside because you can't pick it up. In a small space like Trapper's I find it very annoying to have a few brands lying in a corner. In larger buildings you can move them some place you don't notice them all the time.

wops I didn't thought about that!

They fixed the campfire problem tough! You can restart them. Pretty nice solution.

Now I understand better the burned sticks problem too. The fact that you can't bring them outside the house is an issue. Minor than having a new wonderfull mode but still :P Easiest solution is that you can burn them in a fire with zero gain. Pretty neat.

The new campfire system also gives a little of emotions imho. When you discover one near a corpse, and you reuse it, pretty nice.

Archived