Crafting Flags or Other Markers

Joelle Emmily

I get lost in the real world, in-game, I get lost even more often. The ability to craft flags, or even just shoving a stick into the ground with some kind of marking on it, would be an enormous and realistic help in navigation. As it is, I set out a line of stick so I don't get lost in blizzards, but if I could craft a pointer, stick cloth on a wood, or something of that nature, it'd be a lot easier, and simplistic. An use less sticks.

This is a personal favorite subject of mine in the game so +1 from me all the way and if you feel like it look around this old thread where we went over several (a good part of them by me *shameless plug is shameless*) different implementations or ideas for this. :)

I too drop stuff to lay trails on occasion.  It's generally tinder though.

Not sure there's enough of a difference between dropping stuff like tinder vs crafting markers.  Besides, if we are going to be crafting little flags to me that sounds like using cloth.  If we are going to be using up cloth making little flags, won't we have a shortage for patching garments?  Doesn't that change how available cloth should be on every map?

Now, being able to hack a mark on a tree...that I think has some utility

The difference is just the fact that it's something actually designed for markings. It's not some random "Hey we can do this, why not use it for something else?" situation. You can drop sticks, tinder, rose hips or even burnt out flares, but what if we wanted to place something at a set location or direction? The game can already place all the items, why not add one that can be stuck in a visible location?

If you look up the thread I posted we had a heated discussion about ALL of this. :)

Also marking trees is also a sound idea, but it's 1) far less visible then a bright piece of fabric 2) probably much harder to implement a system that places a marking that aligns itself to the tree's bark then a simple items with a "can be placed on walls as well" exception. :3

It's a really good idea. It will not impact the game in any way. Just sticks with coloured clothes that you can craft. Those that like it will be able to use it and maybe it will add something to the space feeling.

They should last for 20 days.

On 9/26/2016 at 3:12 AM, Gaboris said:

The difference is just the fact that it's something actually designed for markings. It's not some random "Hey we can do this, why not use it for something else?" situation. You can drop sticks, tinder, rose hips or even burnt out flares, but what if we wanted to place something at a set location or direction? The game can already place all the items, why not add one that can be stuck in a visible location?

If you look up the thread I posted we had a heated discussion about ALL of this. :)

Also marking trees is also a sound idea, but it's 1) far less visible then a bright piece of fabric 2) probably much harder to implement a system that places a marking that aligns itself to the tree's bark then a simple items with a "can be placed on walls as well" exception. :3

look at what people did historically.  They didn't tie bits of bright fabric to sticks and make flags to mark the path.  They put blazes on trees (hacking a mark) and took naturally occurring items and placed them in threes to mark the path.

Why?  

#1 The logistics of carrying around little flags to mark you path vs marking with items found in nature

#2 experience.  Sticks stuck in the ground tend to fall and then you are S.O.L.   things left lying on the ground in a stable position but noteworthy because they were in artificially created clusters of items, that worked.

I guess my standard lense to look at things is 'how did people in the real world address these same problems 50 to 100 years ago (or even longer!)

I get your argument a lot, but there are good reasons why I don't want to give up my preference for flags.

On 2016. 10. 01. at 2:14 AM, akodo1 said:

#1 The logistics of carrying around little flags to mark you path vs marking with items found in nature

Okay then we don't carry "flags"(more like a stick with a pice of fabric tied to it since we never actual meant properly fabricated flags) around. Where do we find stuff to place then?

Small rocks are not in the game yet, sticks and rose hips aren't "everywhere" so we'd STILL need to carry those around or run to the nearest group of trees to collect several pieces.
After that drop and then drag them into a formation(or just drop several in one clump) so we know they're not natural and then that's a marker, but this only means that there's a need for a mechanic in the game that's missing.(This has been my strongest argument for flags since the beginning.)
That's the whole reason why we brought this idea up to begin with. We wanted to "standardize" marking our paths instead of just "getting around" the lack of it.

On 2016. 10. 01. at 2:14 AM, akodo1 said:

#2 experience.  Sticks stuck in the ground tend to fall and then you are S.O.L.   things left lying on the ground in a stable position but noteworthy because they were in artificially created clusters of items, that worked.

Reality check... Yep, this is a game... And now to NOT sound like a massive D(Sorry I had to get that out of my system.).

This game breaks realism in a LOT of cases for the sake of gameplay and mechanics so this is NOT a "Free win." argument. We all love this game for it's base in realism, but if we'd never let it deviate from reality it would become a pretty boring and tedious experience. :/

This is basically why I specifically pointed out that if the do implement something like this it would either be funny to stab a stick into a concrete wall with our bare hands or we'd at least have an exception like "placable IF snow OR ground OR wood"(I didn't want to write an actual IF statement) and as long as it serves the gameplay I'd say it would only help players to get the option.

On 2016. 10. 01. at 9:35 PM, togg said:

So we should mark trees??

Sure, we can, but my constant problem with that is that I think it would be much harder to implement a "mark" that can be placed anywhere on a tree no matter for the skin, mesh or the orientation of it.

P.S.: I'd also like to point out that I like the idea of alternate markings like piles of rocks, but those are once again new items added so we're back at same idea just with a different skin and maybe requiring "build time" instead of prebuilt stock.

• 3 months later...

If one keeps gameplay in mind, It might make the game easier to navigate. But to keep the gameplay more interesting ("subjective I know"), why not add a small chance that the marking flies away or is hidden under snow so you can not completely rely on them. I already use 3 sticks (Y shaped) to point the way to my shelter.

As a side note: It might also be more interesting if people would have to figure out the marking of terrain by themselves. In other words not have a designated "marker" item. People love to feel smarter than the game "intends". "Hah real life tactics rule!"

To this end I point out snow shelters.  They're big and hard to miss.  They eventually reach a point of ruin to where you can salvage absolutely nothing nor repair.  Which sucks but I see why.  For areas I truly get turned around in like pleasent valley aka the valley of windy death... I use snow shelters with the entrance pointed towards a standing structure or path that will lead me to cover from cold and wind.  I have only survived to the 50 day mark but I haven't seen them despawn yet.

Archived