Collecting Water From Fishing Holes

Joelle Emmily

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but it seems odd to me that you can't harvest water from your fishing holes. When I've gone ice fishing, it's been our primary water source. In fact, I've only ever melted snow once in my life, and I disliked it so much, I went down to the lake and spent an hour making a hole with the an auger.

2 hours ago, Joelle Emmily said:

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but it seems odd to me that you can't harvest water from your fishing holes. When I've gone ice fishing, it's been our primary water source. In fact, I've only ever melted snow once in my life, and I disliked it so much, I went down to the lake and spent an hour making a hole with the an auger.

Some of the fishing huts are on the sea. In fact most of them are placed on the frozen sea, so this should also be a factor for drawing water from holes. 

1 hour ago, Tbone555 said:

completely for this idea. however, it would be bad for your health drinking water from the coastal highway fishing huts. then again, there are other uses for salt water..

Do you mean perhaps drying out the water and using the salt for curing ;) I read that topic too.  There is another game of island survival in which you can construct water distiller and filter the salt water I guess that maybe someday this Idea could be implemented here, although with all the snow around I can not see why would anyone bother to construct that type of device. However do not get me wrong I support the idea of using fishing holes to obtain free water but only the ones on lakes.

• 3 weeks later...

Completely agree! I think you should be able to get water from waterfalls too.

Also, I was wondering, why there isn't possibility to make your own fishing hole anywhere on the ice area..? Isn't that usual way, to dig it with your hatchet? 

• 2 months later...
On 9/25/2016 at 11:44 AM, Joelle Emmily said:

I concur. I can drink from the toilet but not from a fishing hole. Hmmm. Odd indeed.

It only makes sense, but on the other hand, it would make collecting water a no brainer in ML, TWM and PV. However an option would be to collect non-potable water from these places, so the tablets and the fire would still be necessary. 

Maybe add a small risk for toxic contaminations (non-bacterial) that can not be boiled away, e.g. oil/gas spill. But then again the adverse affect would normally be noticable after you ingest a large amount of contaminated water (non-bacterial). I wonder are the some other possible contaminents that could be realistic threats? My earlier example feels very situational.

Archived