The Hunted, part 2

cullam

So, I've only tried it once so far, but apparently getting mauled to death by the bear counts as winning? I died 23 hours in, when I missed my 6th or so shot on the bugger, and got murdered. And now I've got the feat for completing the challenge. Am I supposed to get that feat, or is there supposed to be a different end game? Who's tried this yet? 

Spoiler follows for those who haven't completed it yet:

Spoiler

I just completed it as described (i.e., track the Old Bear back to the den). Every time I shot the charging bear, it would run away from me, then set up a new patrol farther along the map. As best I can recall, it went from Trapper's to near Max's Last Stand, then railroad tracks towards camp office, then away from tracks towards Frozen Creek, then past the Unnamed Pond towards that little cabin with the out house, then Clear Cut, then past the Logging Camp, then down by the river near the bridge by Carter Hydro Dam, then along Frozen River back to Mystery Lake (close to the little island), and finally to a cave near the the Mystery Lake Western Access.

The cave is new, I don't remember ever seeing one there, so I assume it's the Old Bear's den. As I approached the cave entrance, the Old Bear charged out. I'm pretty sure my shot hit, but this time the bear did not stop charging, and mauled me. That's when the challenge completed and badge popped, saying it was over. So, is this the same path that everyone gets when you pursue the Old Bear? Do you fail the challenge if it mauls you before finding it's den? Is the den always in the same location?

12 hours ago, cullam said:

So, I've only tried it once so far, but apparently getting mauled to death by the bear counts as winning? I died 23 hours in, when I missed my 6th or so shot on the bugger, and got murdered. And now I've got the feat for completing the challenge. Am I supposed to get that feat, or is there supposed to be a different end game? Who's tried this yet? 

you don't die, you are dragged at the end of part 2 and you will find out where he takes you in part 3

17 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

@TheRealNFK: it's difficult to answer hidden questions without spoiling but the answer to your 3 last questions is: yes ;)

Thanks, I also found your video a few hours after I posted that. I guess I was just surprised by how it ended.

4 hours ago, togg said:

Am I the only one that found the difficulty indicator (5/5) not realistic? It was pretty easy. I don't get how you could manage to not make it.

I was surprised to complete it on my first attempt. Semi-spoilery:

Granted, it wasn't a speed run or anything, quite the opposite, I spent some time in the camp office, forestry tower, and the dam in between chasing the bear. Partly it's because my clothes were terrible (I left trapper's without a jacket or gloves), and partly just my usual survival habits. If I had known how it would end, I would have just trudged on regardless of whatever afflictions I was getting (hypothermia) or my condition loss.

5 hours ago, TheRealNFK said:

Thanks, I also found your video a few hours after I posted that. I guess I was just surprised by how it ended.

I was surprised to complete it on my first attempt. Semi-spoilery:

Hidden Content

I don't know how to use spoilers so I'll just say that I've done the opposit :)

11 hours ago, togg said:

Am I the only one that found the difficulty indicator (5/5) not realistic? It was pretty easy. I don't get how you could manage to not make it.

yes that was something I've pointed out in the test_build forum already but was not addressed (yet?) by the developers. I would give it 1, maybe 2 hatchets max compared to the 5 Part One has (rightly so).

Archived