Can't find the bear carcass

Maikleeps

I shot a bear at least once as the marks on the ground clearly showed me. And I shot another 2 times at the bear. While chasing after him to get his precious meat the bear turned around, run towards me. I hit him again before he mauled me. When I woke up he walked away from me. I decided to take a nap to recover and look for the bear next day. I have been searching the bear everywhere I would expect him (dead or alive). I walked the bear's normal trail but could not find him. The blood trail had vanished too quickly.

Does anybody know how long a corpse will be there to be found before it disappears? What did I wrong? Where is the bear?

2 minutes ago, thekillergreece said:

The carcass may hold out there for like.. 3-5 days? You have to find him really deeper. Bears take very long to bleed out unlike wolves and till then, he might have been gone very far. Look for birds on the air cycling around, it is a sign of a carcass of an animal, it might hint you that the bear is there.

So it is possible that the bear, once hit, runs somewhere far away from his normal trail? Alright that's an explanation. Should go and search in a wider area.

2 minutes ago, Maikleeps said:

So it is possible that the bear, once hit, runs somewhere far away from his normal trail? Alright that's an explanation. Should go and search in a wider area.

I am not sure but it is very very possible. You might want to check his den as well but be careful. For wolves (Just an example), they would flee after getting shot/stabbed (provided they are bleeding) very far away from you. You could follow them and they would stop running away and resume casually walking, not returning back to the scene where it got stabbed, just walking casually. This might be a behavior bug or it's intentional because I thought wolves would hide very far away but I was wrong.

For bears, unsure. I never shoot at them unless I am desperate for meat or something. These beasts are strong. I wish you good luck :)

I've seen ravens circling bodies and pre-killed deer.

I have fought wolves and then either had to not track so I wouldn't die or tracked and lost them, then found the bodies days later.  Never saw any ravens.   I've of course lost more than i've stumbled upon, so if this raven trick really works great, but I have a great deal of skepticism if ravens actually signal corpses caused by the player vs game-placed corpses.

First, in comparison to wolves, there is no guarantee that bear will bleed out to death.

Second, even if bear will bleed out, it can take a lot longer than wolves and bear can move around for hours after bleeding started. Generally they do return to their spawn area eventually, and id suggest to start looking for a corpse in a circular pattern from point where you met that bear for the first time. But he can be anywhere on the map, in this case youre out of luck unless youre willing to spend next 3 days combing thru whole area. 

And corpses, unless it was changed, tend to stay put for 3 days, as long as it takes for meat to spoil completely.

• 2 weeks later...

Also consider listening out for the sound of agitated crows.  The sound is different from the other crow sounds in the game, and follows the bear , even when they are dead (but disappears when the weather turns bad, just as crows circling a carcass will leave in a storm).  The sound can be heard within a few hundred meters of a bear.  Following the noise has helped me track down more than one bear I have killed.  Also, try not to go inside before you are certain the bear is dead.  Doing so sometimes seems to "reset" the damage to the animal.

• 1 month later...

Bears will heal from gunshot wounds but if the arrow sticks in them I think they always bleed out eventually.   So pay attention to the arrow to see if it stuck in the bear.  When they are injured they run like hell and finding the corpse is part of the game.  Always shoot your bear close to a hiding place where bears will not go, such as the porch of a house or a guard station or the top of a rock the bear will have trouble climbing.  Pay close attention to see if your arrow sticks in the bear.  If it does, a search pattern will eventually find you the bear or the arrow depending on whether it already decomposed.  I don't recommend hunting bears with rifles unless it's going mad from an earlier injury and you're finishing it off.  Or unless you have awesome aim and can definitely hit him in his tiny black nose.

Also always cut out all the meat you can and lay it beside the bear's corpse, it will decomp much slower than if you leave it in the bear's body.

• 5 weeks later...

If you are not sure (after a mauling or going inside for some reason) if the bear is actually dead, you can check your journal.  The number of bear kills goes up instantaneously as soon as it actually dies (not when it gets wounded).  That way you can be sure your search is worth it.  I know I've wasted a lot of time searching for a carcass only to find it walking towards me.

On 10.12.2016 at 2:26 AM, fearofspam said:

If you are not sure (after a mauling or going inside for some reason) if the bear is actually dead, you can check your journal.  The number of bear kills goes up instantaneously as soon as it actually dies (not when it gets wounded).  That way you can be sure your search is worth it.  I know I've wasted a lot of time searching for a carcass only to find it walking towards me.

Of course! Very simple an precious answer! ;)

Archived