Sleeping pills?

Reahs

have you ever stood in your base fully rested with 9 hrs left of the night and you cant do anything cuz its dark and wolves will rekt you if you go outside

well add sleeping pills so you can take a nap anytime

good/bad?

say what you think here below

I                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              I                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             V

15 hours ago, Reahs said:

have you ever stood in your base fully rested with 9 hrs left of the night and you cant do anything cuz its dark and wolves will rekt you if you go outside

well add sleeping pills so you can take a nap anytime

good/bad?

say what you think here below

I                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              I                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             V

You can waste time - its next to the sleep function. But yes it would be good when u want to get better condition but isnt tired

Personally, I like the idea of sleeping pills: They'll allows to sleep even though we aren't physically tired and offer a threat as a tradeoff that doesn't reduce player agency. @cekivi made a good post about player agency recently, and this one seems to apply to it. Think about it: Sure, you can pop a pill or two to help ya sleep, but the danger is that a) you sleep longer than intended and b) you get addictited, which would be a mighty darn bad affliction :D bonus points for overdosing accidentaly, that'd make for some "here's how I died" stories....

28 minutes ago, EternityTide said:

Might have inadvertent effects on the long dark's ESRB rating

This is a valid point that'd have to be considered. I don't know about Canada, but Germany is pretty big on video game censorship - Fallout 3 had all blood removed, every WW2 video game comes without swastikas and so on. Games that are indexed by the BPjM (our version of the ESRB basically) can't be advertised openly, even though perchasing the game is legal for adults. The question here is - are sleeping pills considered drugs by the ESRB? If so, wouldn't painkillers, antibiotics and those emergency syringes whose english name I tend to forget? Or does their ruling only apply to illegal drugs?

Anybody here know more about the ESRB's rulings on that matter?

Welcome to the forums @Reahs! ^_^

At the moment, I don't think sleeping pills are necessary. Not from a ratings standpoint but just as one more thing to manage. Remember that you can pass time, read a book, craft items, repair clothing and everything else to get fatigued again. My personal problem is you should be allowed to sleep whenever you want but just with a much slower condition recovery. That way you can sleep 12 hours if you'd like but you're not going to restore 100% condition in that time.

Lastly, please try to avoid snide comments. No need to take criticism personally.

@Wastelander I am a big fan of player agency. I just think in this case sleep and fatigue need a design rethink and not an additional item to help manage them :winky:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-09-19 at 0:18 AM, cekivi said:

Welcome to the forums @Reahs! ^_^

At the moment, I don't think sleeping pills are necessary. Not from a ratings standpoint but just as one more thing to manage. Remember that you can pass time, read a book, craft items, repair clothing and everything else to get fatigued again. My personal problem is you should be allowed to sleep whenever you want but just with a much slower condition recovery. That way you can sleep 12 hours if you'd like but you're not going to restore 100% condition in that time.

Lastly, please try to avoid snide comments. No need to take criticism personally.

@Wastelander I am a big fan of player agency. I just think in this case sleep and fatigue need a design rethink and not an additional item to help manage them :winky:

its just that that you CANT do stuff when its night cuz its DARK thats why ITS A PROBLEM

please READ and try to undersand what i wrote

what we need is a third option 

Speep,sleep

rest,like sleep but you aint sleeping

pass time,just pass the time with some cards

Sleeping pills could be an antagonist to Cabin Fever mmm And then you would get a strong cabin fever after the effect ends, could be interesting but probably is not worth it adding a new object for a reason that specific. It would feel unclean, as for the water purification tablets lol

Archived