Bandaging

drmom

Out of leather? I think not. Leather is a very different material from cloth. Bandages can already be harvested from cloth, and cloth is prevalent in most furnished homes (everything from pillows to towels to curtains can be harvested for cloth) so I'd keep your leather safe, like the precious material that it is, as it is non renewable, and required to repair boots.

The primary use of a bandage is to apply pressure to a wound to stop bleeding and keep the elements off of it. This is easy with cloth bandages as they can be twisted and tied into knots, with leather... not so much. Leather is pretty difficult to work with, relatively rigid and doesn't allow a wound to 'breathe'. 

Its literally impossible. One of the primary requirements for bandages is that they have to be porous, allowing proper circulation of air and fluids. Otherwise were looking on  whole host of fun conditions, like gangrene for example. Hide is completely unsuitable for it. Hell, its more likely to cause secondary infection than simply leaving wound open.

38 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

Its literally impossible. One of the primary requirements for bandages is that they have to be porous, allowing proper circulation of air and fluids. Otherwise were looking on  whole host of fun conditions, like gangrene for example. Hide is completely unsuitable for it. Hell, its more likely to cause secondary infection than simply leaving wound open.

I suggest you to look up the definition of "literally impossible".

What you mean is that it IS possible to make a binding from leather, but it is just a very bad idea.

• 1 month later...

I think my point may have been missed. I envision a day when I have stripped all zones of all available cloth. Being attacked and bleeding is certain death at that point. An option to use a leather strip (maybe of the rabbit skins?) to stop the bleeding would potentially extend playable time. I get it, not the best, but certainly better than nothing! And exactly what I would do if I had nothing else. A chance of failure or increased chance of infection? Sure, that would work too. And the leather from skins/hides is renewable. I wasn't talking about the boot leather you get as a drop, rather leather in a general term. 

I'd prefer that they just keep creating more areas or allow modders to do so.

The "day" you vision is a really, really long way away.  Having played all maps the amount of time you are talking about is so long that it nearly does not matter for two reasons

1) The time is a REALLY Long time. Like if you were playing that long I doubt you're getting much joy out of the game.

2) The gameworld does not vary from game to game.  100 days before you run out of cloth in one game would not play much differently than 200 days after you start your next game.  In fact starting a new game would probably introduce a much needed variety into your painfully long play experience.

There is something about human nature that makes you worry about running out of those things int he game that do not renew, but as a practical point, the game is big enough now and we KNOW that they will add at least one more area so we good bro.

Archived