Like radial menu?

akodo1

The radial menu has been with us since April.  What do you all think of it so far?

Here's my impression: it's okay but there should be alternate ways to do everything in the radial menu AND they should rethink which items are immediately available.

I find myself always using the keyboard shortcuts for lightsource, backpack, start-fire, and weapons.  I rarely remembered to drop decoy with keyboard and I rarely remember to do it on radial, so that's a wash.  It seems okay for accessing the journal.  but I wish there was a shortcut key for that.  

I really dislike that I have to use the radial menu for sleeping-bag, especially as it's two-steps in.  If I have to use radial menu for sleeping bag at least put it as one of the main ones.  (make it a 9 slice pie with fire and sleeping bag having their own icon, put craft snow shelter under camp crafting.?)

It feels wrong and counter-intuitive to examine my injury using the radial menu.  I really wish that was back under the tab option.and/or a button when you open your backpack.  Honestly, that's important enough it should have a 4 method access.  First being shortcut key, 2nd being from the tab-to-see-condition menu, 3rd a button when you open up backpack, and 4th throug the radial.

I think you should also go back to having number shortcuts in addition to the radial, which would allow players the option to use whichever they like.

I'd suggest

5 = bed

6 = first aid

7 = stim

0 = crafting (with shelter under that option)

j = journal

I like the radial menu a lot.  It took me a while to get use to it, but I'd whine if they took it away now.  ;)

I agree some things are missing from both keybindings and the radial menu, but I don't agree with most of your list.  (I'm perfectly fine with the way bed, first aid, crafting and journal are right now.)

My top two missing UI interactions, by a very long margin:

1. Keybindings:  stim  (#5, maybe)
  2. Radial menu:  drink water 

Drink water is so frequently used and the alternative -- speluncking through my inventory -- is so time consuming I'd swap out just about anything in the top level of the radial menu to have this there instead.

I agree with coupling a key binding with items that are only in the radial menu as of now,

I also would like to be able to use a bandage from inside my inventory as well instead of having to stare at it and wonder where the "use" button is until i remember you have to use the radial menu for that now.

I however disagree with adding more buttons to the radial menu's first options because itd feel cluttered and harder to navigate. 

The e-stim shortcut key would be nice but it should require a pressing the key twice in a row to avoid accidentally sticking yourself while trying to drop a decoy or something 

8 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

The e-stim shortcut key would be nice but it should require a pressing the key twice in a row to avoid accidentally sticking yourself while trying to drop a decoy or something 

Currently you equip it one way and use it a different way.  Similar to lighting a flare or lantern.   I don't think any change is needed to put stim on a keybind.

I play on the PC with the steam controller and I freaking love the radial menu. If they got rid of it and you had to go into the inventory everytime you wanted to equip something, I would end up leaving a trail of dropped items (the open inventory and drop item button are the same). Saying that, I am not sure I would ever use the radial menu if i was using a keyboard.

Archived