DOGS

Vinceofpyrenees

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

13 hours ago, Ape88 said:

Sure, or "Mark Territory. I believe British actor David Tennant was keeping foxes away from his garden by peeing along the perimeter of his yard.

To "mark territory" please drink more lemonade :) - it´s only works till -35°C and no blizzard allowed.

I think that special dogs should be in the game rare ones and normal ones the rare ones would be good in the fields they are usually good at and the rest you will have to train depending on age young will be ending lots of training but be healthier in every field as well as easier to get older will be experienced more but harder to train and tame since they could be semi feral others could be good only for meat as a last resort and let go of if you'll feel bad about doing that, one type I'd suggest is the chow dog that is a guard dog and can attack and sometimes kill or just scare off bears young and old this could be the best one and have a special intimidation factor that scares off all animals but only be Abel to do this and need training in all other fields. I also think that some dogs could be used for sledding which should also exist the classes should be hunter searcher defender and traveller hunter will collect your kill and kill mamed for you. Searcher would find food and items for you point you to loaded houses defender would attack animals attacking you and intimidate them too and traveller would be used in a group if 3 to 9 dogs with a sled to help you travel. These dogs would also be able to be trained to do other groups specialties to a point some will be hard to maintain and some will be easy traveller would be in place of a car but hardest to maintain and not as good as a car. Which brings me to expansive areas of openness, some cities large and small , some abandoned with some good and moderate loot and some enclaves with great goofs but at outrageous prices so that you can buy things by hunting and bringing back stuff this would be like in an endless mode where after you get to the end of the large expanse of wilderness you get to this area and can buy goods that replenish so that you hunt go sell stuff and buy goods like materials and equip

Various breeds of husky would not be uncommon in a place like Great Bear Island, and they'd even probably be used as work dogs! That means that for inventory, it should be possible to find or make a dog pack - basically a set of saddlebags. I've got some for my Newfoundland dog (another breed that can survive in the winter cold), and he can easily/safely carry 10 kg of groceries with them on. 

Here's a picture of one wearing a pack: 

DSC_0164.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:58 AM, Nyarlathotep said:

Can you harvest and eat them ?

I think it would play in nicely with the strong focus I see on morality and that leads me to the idea I saw of a emotion gauge , so eating mans best friend will have some rebuttal, you aren't without remorse. But I think that it shoul be an option to see ho far somebody would go to survive and feel it withou as little of a screen as possible.

On 9/14/2016 at 6:48 AM, Wastelander said:

Simple, give the dog a small backpack and make it a mobile container.

A wellbeing-system is on the roadmap, so that'd be a future-thing

Well, the devs will never please everybody - that's something noone has ever done before and noone ever will do.

Yep, that's a good idea.

I have to admit, the particular dog breed that was used against bears in Germany isn't bred anymore, so I guess you're right.

I know this is a late, late, late, late response, but the bears in game are black bears. Black bears, in most cases, are actually TERRIFIED of dogs. You don't need any special dog to scare away a normal black bear. Cats have even been known to scare those sons of biscuits. 

I like the idea of having/finding dogs in the long dark, but it might be difficult to keep a balance between lonelyness and game difficulty and usefullness of the dog.

Maybe they should just be like wolves, irritated and hungry, and attack the player? But if one should be able to tame them, then he should not be able to listen to many commands, but i also would like the thought of having a help for carrying items, especially because my character really doesnt seem to be able to get muscles by carrying things. If i would walk everyday with 30-40kg, after a vew weeks i could also carry them much easyier than my character, i think...

(hope you can understand my broken english)

I for one am not emotionally capable to deal with the loss of a virtual dog so it should be stealthy and it should always run away from danger. Keeping a wolf in stalemate as they growl at each other before it runs away when the wolf attacks the player should be its only combat role. Other than that, fetching a stick now and then and a snared rabbit could be useful.

On 1/18/2017 at 0:49 AM, cullam said:

Various breeds of husky would not be uncommon in a place like Great Bear Island, and they'd even probably be used as work dogs! That means that for inventory, it should be possible to find or make a dog pack - basically a set of saddlebags. I've got some for my Newfoundland dog (another breed that can survive in the winter cold), and he can easily/safely carry 10 kg of groceries with them on. 

Here's a picture of one wearing a pack: 

DSC_0164.jpg

Yes please!! :D

On 1/22/2017 at 11:55 AM, WillDakenzie2000 said:

I think it would play in nicely with the strong focus I see on morality and that leads me to the idea I saw of a emotion gauge , so eating mans best friend will have some rebuttal, you aren't without remorse. But I think that it shoul be an option to see ho far somebody would go to survive and feel it withou as little of a screen as possible.

Perhaps it could affect your character's mental state - and they are adding psychological impact into the game at some point, so it would easily fit in with this.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be interesting if you could find a small dog (chihuahua, ect.) that is for some reason still alive ( locked in house, and found the kibble maybe?) and have to deal with keeping it and endangering your well-being, or leaving it to die. I would end up keeping the thing, accidentally killing it because I don't know how to take care of dogs, and then not being able to continue with the game because I get too attached. Interesting idea though.

• 4 months later...

:) Its actually intersting how many people wold want a dog in a game. Fallout4 brought us Dogmeat and people LOVED him. Sims3 has a pets DLC which is huge success and now everyone is crying out for EA to make a pets package for Sims4! Skyrim has huskies and dogs and they make great friends and adventure companions.

There is something about a canine companion thats desired and wanted and adored and most people ( not all) want that.

The Long Dark is about survival and if Hinterland wish to firmly decide not to add any dogs as companions i will respect that as thats their given choice and right and i love this game with or without a dog. BUT i do feel pretty sure that IF they did decide to later add that as an option ( doesnt have to be compulsory for every player or play-through, maybe its something you get to choose to do or not) then i do think it would be well received and a great addition. :)

Archived