Spears/rudimentary version of tools/other thoughts

NisbetM

Looks like a bunch of people would like to see spears and I'll pile on.  If I can fix a lantern I should be able to sharpen a long stick into something that could be thrown (even with crap accuracy) at rabbits and something that would be more practical in real life as a walking stick / tool to fend off attacking wolves.

It would be nice to see more rudimentary version of arrow heads that don't require forging, but have the effectiveness or accuracy leveled.  Arrowheads found or forged could be highest accuracy/durability/effectiveness and the most basic version (knife-sharpened end) could be less effective.

As much as it would annoy me, if you wanted to make more realistic having player more accident prone when tired or take longer at fixing tools when cold, etc. might be worthwhile improvements to add some difficulty/reward for keeping your player in good health. Maybe you could let us eat snow, but this lowers our body temperature/gives slight risk for sickness.

On 9/2/2016 at 3:33 PM, NisbetM said:

Looks like a bunch of people would like to see spears and I'll pile on.  If I can fix a lantern I should be able to sharpen a long stick into something that could be thrown (even with crap accuracy) at rabbits and something that would be more practical in real life as a walking stick / tool to fend off attacking wolves.

I personally suspect that spears are simply not implemented because of game balancing reasons. Given the quantity of fallen tree limbs we find, they would make for a weapon with near-infinite uses. The same could said about makeshift arrowheads or, for that matter, rudimentary arrows: someone already mentioned (and illustrated) how easy would it be to improvised an arrowhead from common cutlery found, but currently ignored, in the houses.

I'm all for the walking stick, though, and I really hope that's what the new accessories slots (in the latest teaser screenshots) are for.

On 9/2/2016 at 3:33 PM, NisbetM said:

As much as it would annoy me

Isn't this why we play games? So they can annoy us? :winky: Welcome to the forums!

Archived