Item Weight, NPC's, Safe House building, Sleds, Tameable wolves and Dog sleighs.

KyrexGamez

- I don't like that the max carry weight is 60kg (this is waaaayyyy too little), considering most fully grown men weigh much more than this and most people could walk and a nice pace or even slowly jog with someone heavier than 60kg on their back. 

- If you are doing a haul from let's say the cache on top of Timberwolf Mountain, It took me about 3 trips up and down with a pack of about 50kg to collect all the stuff and the ropes melt your strength. Maybe add the ability to lower a pack down a drop rather than carry it down in hand.

- The next part would be sleds to help carry stuff that is too heavy.

- I know on the roadmap NPC's are due to be added into the sandbox, however it would be cool if you could create a community somewhere in the sandbox and have NPC's doing jobs and such (maybe send them on supply runs to gather material and they bring back random gear, also because eventually all the gear will run out and you won't even have the ability to repair knives to harvest from animals) This would also be good if you could have them as a companion and they could help you harvest animals to speed up the time. It would also be cool to see kids in the game and the ability to have a community where children are born and grow up ect.

- Safehouse customization is also another thing I saw on the roadmap, however, it would be cool if there was a way to build walls and gates to make a compound somewhere that is secure. Also the ability to remove the burned down houses or inaccessible buildings and building something where it once was (maybe a stable or boathouse or house, barn ect.) 

- It would be cool if you could tame wolves and have them as companions or maybe there are dogs roaming around (Husky, Alsatian ect). 

- Another way for travel and such would be a dog drawn sleigh that you can ride on and your dogs carry you around if you tame enough, the heavier the weight on the sleigh, the more dogs needed to pull it.

- I saw on the roadmap, running water was a thing, wondering if this fits in with the seasons, I saw spring was going to be added, it would be cool to see summer and autumn (I want to see the map without the snow in a much less hospitable environment, also to see the coastal highway sea melted. 

- Ability to salvage cars for scrap metal

- I also saw that in some regions according to the map, the sun seems to rise in the south and set in the north?

- Cows, Pigs, Sheep, Chickens to farm and lead them back to your safe house or compound. With the ability to breed them. Cows produce raw beef and leather, Sheep produce mutton and wool, pigs produce pork and chickens produce feathers (for arrows) eggs and chicken.

- Fishing rods

- A use for mountaineering ropes, currently I have scoured Timberwolf mountain of supplies and lugged everything back to the gas station is coastal highway, however I now have 11 mountaineering ropes and no use for them, maybe you could use them for safehouse customization in my point above.

- More weapons in the game, other than the rifle there is only the survival bow as weapons. It would be cool to see stuff like variations of shotguns, rifles, handguns and melee weapons such as machetes.

- It is a very empty region, possibly a new region that is more like a city, with a school, hospital, police station, fire station and such.

This is some interesting stuff, but I feel that it is added, it will make TLD like all the other survival games. The reason I love this game is that you never "conquer nature", you just survive it. In almost every other game, eventually you become an unstoppable force, but here, after tine, you are pretty much naked with rabbitskin mitts cooking their meat with sticks and the magnifying lens. I could just make a list of the things I'm worried about on the roadmap here.

NPCs in the Sandbox: Another big thing for me is that you're alone. In a way, having NPCs might ruin that. Let us disable them, or at the very least, make them rare.

Everything listed here pretty much falls under what I first said.

• Crafting for safehouse customization
  • Crafting for clothing customization
  • Gunsmithing & ammunition crafting
  • New travel options: Canoe, Horse
  • Planting

"- I know on the roadmap NPC's are due to be added into the sandbox, however it would be cool if you could create a community somewhere in the sandbox and have NPC's doing jobs and such (maybe send them on supply runs to gather material and they bring back random gear, also because eventually all the gear will run out and you won't even have the ability to repair knives to harvest from animals) This would also be good if you could have them as a companion and they could help you harvest animals to speed up the time. It would also be cool to see kids in the game and the ability to have a community where children are born and grow up ect. "

>> I think it's kind a dream. Unrealisable. But i wish it lol

Its a well established fact that protagonist is anorexic. Learn to live with it, there doesnt seem to be any fixes coming from that direction.

About NPCs and house customization. Id say we should be able to get as far as becoming friendly, but thats about it. Last thing this game need is a NPC companion system or even worse, some lame Sims type crap. Like us, they are just moving along, surviving. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are bad, but mostly, all of them, they are just confused and afraid.

Same with houses, making it into Minecraft would be the worse idea ever. Some customization, like crafting crude furniture like crates or makeshift beds or some kind of tapestry, house insulation, basic repairs for damage caused by environmental hazards would be nice, but most definitely not House-that-was-built-by-Will. Basic customization, yes, castle building, a no-no. That includes breeding or herding or anything of sorts, at least not in winter.

Wolf. Taming. Impossible. Its not just hard or improbable, its impossible. Dogs on the other hand, yes, discussed a lot, quite realistic and could make great addition. Also, each dog would require about same amount of meat as player, depending on breed. So if youre thinking about building a kennel ,forget about it. Each need food, water, place to sleep, exercise, and is susceptible to a variety of medical conditions. If player would be able to maintain himself and even 3 dogs, then surviving alone wouldnt be a challenge in the slightest. Which kinda would defy whole point of the game. Id love to have me a husky - they are perfect for such game - low maintenance, sturdy, resilient, and they are excellent with sleds.

Sleds and skijoring would be fun. Altho it should be limited to either one or another(thru choice). If you think that 50kg dog will be able to pull sled with player sorry ass on it and another 100 kg of stuff, and that at 10-15 km/h, think again. Especially on rough terrain.

Yeah, salvaging metal constructs for metal would be great. Altho it was discussed be4 and nothing so far. Grab a hammer and saw and start stripping away on one of those wrecks. It would make car unusable as shelter and take fair amount of time to strip it, but its yet another activity for player to undertake and improve his "financial" situation.

Ropes could have a lot of usage later on, when spring arrives, from making rafts to building bridges.

Remington 870, sure, but "variation" of shotguns... Game loot table is simply not large enough to accommodate variation of anything of such kind.

Problem with city area is that it would have a lot of stuff in it. So unless it has some serious hazard(*yells* radiation, radiation) it would simply break the game. Making it loot-free would feel off, way 2 unnatural. Id rather have no city rather than some sorry excuse for one that has been stripped clean for "gameplay purposes".

There are plenty of alternatives, like airfield/plane graveyard for example. It features on of game concept arts, so its not really a stretch. There has been plenty of other ideas for interesting maps.

3 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

About NPCs and house customization. Id say we should be able to get as far as becoming friendly, but thats about it. Last thing this game need is a NPC companion system or even worse, some lame Sims type crap. Like us, they are just moving along, surviving. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are bad, but mostly, all of them, they are just confused and afraid.

Yep. Basically adult life without smartphones :D 

On 2.9.2016 at 8:33 PM, KyrexGamez said:

- It is a very empty region, possibly a new region that is more like a city, with a school, hospital, police station, fire station and such.

I'd actually like to see something like that. Something like this:

YA021345-1680x1050.jpg

1 hour ago, Wastelander said:

Yep. Basically adult life without smartphones :D 

I'd actually like to see something like that. Something like this:

YA021345-1680x1050.jpg

but we are in canadas wilderness 

how the FU** are you suposed to find a large town there??!?!?

On 02/09/2016 at 7:33 PM, KyrexGamez said:

- I don't like that the max carry weight is 60kg (this is waaaayyyy too little), considering most fully grown men weigh much more than this and most people could walk and a nice pace or even slowly jog with someone heavier than 60kg on their back. 

Wow. Hold on. One second.

60kg.

Please tell me you are mixing up your units and mean 60lb? I weigh 60kg (me being an exceedingly thin, 6 foot 2" guy, yes I am aware I am underweight).

I'm not weak, and despite my light weight, I can lift 80 kilos, however carrying 60 kilos on your BACK? And you think you can "jog" with that?

Look mate, Edmund Hillary was in the foothills of Himalayas, and in his book "High Adventure" he stated that he had difficulty carrying 40-45kg loads at low altitude. Progress with those kind of loads is slow, and you are damned well not going to be able to jog with that level of weight on your back.

1 hour ago, EternityTide said:

Please tell me you are mixing up your units and mean 60lb?

OP is refering to the fact that at 60 kg encumbrance the character effectively stops moving.

On 9/2/2016 at 3:33 PM, KyrexGamez said:

I know on the roadmap NPC's are due to be added into the sandbox, however it would be cool if you could create a community somewhere in the sandbox and have NPC's doing jobs and such

Wouldn't that make the game too similar to, say, Fallout 4? Surely I can't speak for Hinterland Games, but in my perception the game the devs have in mind is made of something else. It's mainly about lone survival; the struggle of man versus nature. Regarding plausibility, I'm sure that people in post-disaster situations could theoretically form communities, but perhaps there are not enough (willing?) survivors in the island for that.

Safehouse customization is also another thing I saw on the roadmap, however, it would be cool if there was a way to build walls and gates

I'm not pointing which way is the right one, but, curiously enough, that's the reason I still show some resistance in playing games like The Forest. Whenever I see the character "magically" building walls and fortresses, I remember how much I love how TLD allows us to feel we're putting some effort into doing/making things. That's why I love this game: I'm not looking for cool; I'm looking for diligent.

I also saw that in some regions according to the map, the sun seems to rise in the south and set in the north?

You mean according to the only official map?

Also: welcome to the forums!

17 hours ago, EternityTide said:

Wow. Hold on. One second.

60kg.

Please tell me you are mixing up your units and mean 60lb? I weigh 60kg (me being an exceedingly thin, 6 foot 2" guy, yes I am aware I am underweight).

I'm not weak, and despite my light weight, I can lift 80 kilos, however carrying 60 kilos on your BACK? And you think you can "jog" with that?

Look mate, Edmund Hillary was in the foothills of Himalayas, and in his book "High Adventure" he stated that he had difficulty carrying 40-45kg loads at low altitude. Progress with those kind of loads is slow, and you are damned well not going to be able to jog with that level of weight on your back.

Keep in mind, its not just your back in game. Its everything. Im around 65kg and about 170cm and with a bit of practice id have no problem carrying 50-60 kilos in backpack and pockets, if its properly secured, weighted and distributed. Its mostly question of practice and training, and thats not even accounting for clothing.

Army has 100+ liter backpacks for a reason.

And you sure that Hillary was referring to low altitudes ? On high altitudes it would be understandable due to low percentage of oxygen in the air.

2 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

And you sure that Hillary was referring to low altitudes ? On high altitudes it would be understandable due to low percentage of oxygen in the air.

Certain. This was the passage where they were still passing through muddy rainforest and each of the hired carriers were carrying 90lb of supplies and equipment each.

Those 100+ liter backpacks will not be containing anything over 60 kg, and in fact most army backpacks, for long distance, rarely ever exceed 25 kilos. 

By all means, climb a mountain with 60kilos on your back, but when you get arthritis and rheumatism, don't blame me for not warning you. 

In the event that people are still thinking in imperial measurements, I would like to point out that 1kg = 2.2lb, and therefore you would be carrying 132lb.

2 hours ago, EternityTide said:

In the event that people are still thinking in imperial measurements, I would like to point out that 1kg = 2.2lb, and therefore you would be carrying 132lb.

While walking through the snow!.  

I've spent a lot of time hiking through Wyoming, Montana and Idaho - and a bit more in Colorado and New Mexico.  Carrying anything north of about 40 lbs in my pack (so about 18kg) gets tiring very quickly (and I can squat 2x my body weight, DL about the same, and walk several miles over hilly terrain almost every day). Light hikers usually carry less than 30lbs  - and some as little as 10-12lbs (less than 6kg).  And, again, hiking through snow makes everything harder - not only are you wearing heavier gear to begin with, but you have to be careful about your sweating.  My wrestling coach used to make us "run" (i.e., a slow trot) a mile with our partner (so same weight) on our back.  I know about carrying capacity.  This survivor carrying 60kg would break out in a sweat, sit down to rest after a few km, and freeze to death when his sweat dried on his skin. 

If anything, the survivor walking from DP to ML without resting while carrying 45kg is overly optimistic of his training/abilities.

ETA:  Some good info here:  http://www.backpacking.net/packwate.html

On 2.9.2016 at 8:33 PM, KyrexGamez said:

It is high time you got up from your computer, went outside and did a little hike (don't forget to take water along). It would not only be good for your health, it would also give you a better understanding of how the physical world out there works.

On 9/2/2016 at 11:33 AM, KyrexGamez said:

- I also saw that in some regions according to the map, the sun seems to rise in the south and set in the north?

It has been mentioned a few times. According to the orientation of regions on the Great Bear Island map, the direction walking out the enclosed porch of Pleasant Valley Farmstead house is SW (about 225° on a now non-working compass). From my observations, this is where the sun rises and the sun sets about 10 degrees to the left of going straight out the door on the opposite side (about 35°). Mystery Lake is very close to what you said (rises about 185° and sets at 355°). On Coastal Highway and Desolation Point the sun rises and sets almost exactly as expected. I haven't taken the time to note exact directions when I was at a higher elevation on Timberwolf Mountain yet.

Archived