Your use of snow shelter

exeexe

What is your story of taking advantage of the new snow shelter?

My story is that i was taking all my gear to Timberwolf Mountain from the buttom of the rope in pleasant valley near the exit. i was going 2 times and as i was descinding the rope to get the rest of my gear and go the last trip i got caught by a blizzard. I grabbed all my gear in the bunker, went to the rope and climbed it. I was getting colder and colder really fast. Then on my way to the lake cabin i realised that i cant make it. So in the middle of alley leading to the new area i decided to make a snowshelter. I though i could make a shelter when my warm-o-meter came down to 30%. But then i thought the snow shelter takes 45 min to create. So i thought i should make it right now. So i found a spot to make it and started crafting. Now my warm meter went all the way down to freezing in a few seconds. I could enter the snow shelter with 98% condition. But it was warm here. 10C! I could sit here and wait it out. I dont know for how long maybe 2 hours. And as i arrived at the lake cabin it was turning night. Just perfect all things considered.

2 hours ago, Salty Crackers said:

Personally, I think the snow shelter is not that useful. A bedroll pretty much has the same function. If you know the maps, you can almost always find a nook to warm up in with a bedroll.

If the temperature feels like -15C u cant flung out a bed roll and expect to survive

I can't get it to fit anywhere :/ atleast not inside outdoor shelters, even if there's more than enough room...
I wanted to keep my sleeping bag from expering but i wonder, do you need a sleeping bag to be able to sleep in the snow shelter, and how long does a shelter last?

~Hatchet

On 9/3/2016 at 11:50 AM, Dirmagnos said:

Snow shelter is extremely op right now, so i dont even use it, its like cheating.

THIS.  I tried it in a couple runs, deleted those.  It really is a "pocket cabin".  Static temperature -- even in a blizzard -- 1C colder than a trailer and a built-in +3C bed.  No bedroll needed.  Pump a stick or two into it every day and it lasts forever.

• 2 weeks later...

I used it once on Mystery Lake, in the shallow cave by Unnamed Pond. Saved my life from a really bad blizzard that caught me near the end of a long day as I was making my way back to Trapper's Homestead. My fatigue bar was quite low, and my clothes at the time were not good enough to keep walking through the blizzard, so it came in quite handy!

I've only used it once. Before I discovered the open boxcar in the Ravine, I was taking a multiday journey from ML to CH to do some looting. I was being reckless and was moving pretty slowly due to traveling when I was tired (I was trying to maximize daylight and was counting on good weather luck, knowing that I had picked up enough materials for the shelter on my way.) I got caught in a bad blizzard near the start of the Ravine and decided to give it a try. It saved my life.  But after I realized the loss of materials upon taking it down, I've never used one since. Instead, I've just tried to be smarter about planning out my excursions.  I don't even bother to carry the materials for it, anymore. 

• 3 months later...

I have been living out of a snow shelter in Forlorn Muskeg on my latest stalker run. It saves significantly on cloth usage over sleeping in a cave as long as I repair it regularly. However as far as it being a pocket cabin I don't think that's quite true. It costs you two cloth every time you do setup/teardown and takes 45 minutes in a blizzard. It also doesn't provide protection for your fire or for drying skins or working at a workbench.

Archived