Snares

Salty Crackers

So I'm around day 10 on a Voyageur game on Mystery Lake. I'm camping in the Camp Office and I thought it might be a good idea to set up snares, but after looking at a map, all the rabbit locations seem far away.  Do you have a suggestion on where I should set some up? Since I've never really used snares, it would probably also be helpful to give me some usage tips.

When I'm on camp office I always set the snares on a small clear crossing the rail roads. Take a left as you go out of the office, cross the railroads, follow the mountain to the right until you reach an opening. There should be plenty of rabbits there. A couple of deers are usually seen there as well, and sometimes a wolf...

The Southern Access is a good spot as well, but chances to find wolves patrolling that area are higher in my experience. Although, now that we have an alternative route using the ropes the risks may be less (but the caloric investment in climbing those rope up again won't make the trip something to remember). 

The problem with Camp Office in my opinion is it has terrible hunting access. Often, I do this very specific run (kind of cheaty, but gets amazing stuff by day 3) and camp out in the Dam. The Ravine is such a good place to hunt! Not too far, and no wolves. You have like 20 bullets, and to be honest, it's kind of boring. With Camp Office, you have to walk everywhere to hunt. It has fishing access, though.

Walk out the front door and find a way up the incline in front of you.  Moving to the right (what I recall is South) towards the lake side, keep ascending.  There is a plateau up there with climb rope access down, also usually a body or deer carcass (so you can usually use crows to find it).  Lots of rabbits up there.  I usually set up traps there when I'm at the Camp Office.

To be honest, I still think snaring is inefficient. Rabbits have between 450-900 calories per rabbit, but deer can have up to 8000 calories. At least for this location, the rabbit spots are pretty far away. I can hunt and fish and survive easily. The only real downside is that I can't get the rabbitskin mittens.

5 hours ago, Salty Crackers said:

To be honest, I still think snaring is inefficient. Rabbits have between 450-900 calories per rabbit, but deer can have up to 8000 calories. At least for this location, the rabbit spots are pretty far away. I can hunt and fish and survive easily. The only real downside is that I can't get the rabbitskin mittens.

There should/could be rabbits just behind the camp office, not all the time but you can find them there (the big empty hill just next to the tracks, behind the office, or to the right of the office when facing the lake) mind you, that was a year ago i last went there :D
Took a look at Whiteberry her map, according to her there should also be rabbits there however the map shows them on the other end. (The hill just next to the lake trail)

I like to snare rabbits, they give me the ability to fish without having to waste a bullet, shoot an arrow or risk torn clothing from fighting a wolf.

Edit: Tips: Put your snares near trees/rocks so you can take windshelter while harvesting them, or having a fire near one to defrost it while harvesting another without having the wind blow it out (there's always one side of the tree you can use, trees are better than rocks or hills)
Put your snares close to eachother so you can have 1 fire defreezing as many carcasses as possible.
Don't put them too close to trees/rocks or it can happen that the carcass will be partly inside and you'll be unable to highlight it.
Don't exploit your stats screen to see when you've succesfully snared the rabbit(s) because the point is to go out in the cold and check them for yourself XD

~Hatchet

Snaring is the most cost efficient way for obtaining meat. Last thing it needs is a buff.

Player just drops snare and walks away. Resources for crafting snares are replenishable indefinitely. Plus its zero risk.

Crafting snare costs 1 gut and 1 reclaimed wood. Each snare allows catching several rabbits be4 it breaks, so you get guts back and then some, and once it breaks and player salvage it he gets reclaimed wood back. Infinite circle. And there is no tools needed for its crafting. Compared to other ways of obtaining food its only limit is amount of rabbits in vicinity of player base and only obstacle is laziness that prevent player walking the distance.

If devs were to create rabbit farms, every other way of obtaining meat will become obsolete. And it doesnt even have parasites.

On 13-9-2016 at 0:42 AM, Salty Crackers said:

I'm also now doing a Stalker run on DP in the test branch. Do you have any suggestions for there? I'm camping in the Riken.

The church is a great place to trap for rabbits. It's got a sheltered structure with a fire barrel, and if it really gets too cold, there's a mine nearby, as well as the lighthouse (of course, you'll need to clear the wolves first, since they patrol the path to the lighthouse).

Archived