traps suggests

rikard

hello, I think the traps are a little unbalanced in game. For example the snare it's a quite advanced trap for a beginner survivor, for it's crafting it needs knowledge of knots, also some tracking abilities. My suggestion it's make a simple trap o a hole in the ground and sharpen sticks over it, that would be my first attempt of trap if I would lack of survival knowledge.

what do you think?

3 hours ago, Hiemalis said:

I've always wondered about that. What are the odds of a rabbit trying to squeeze through a noose -- and without a bait on top of that? Perhaps they've got the winter blues.

All the in-game snare does is hold the animal in place, as it tightens around the animal as it passes through it.

Hopefully, the snare will tighten around the animals neck, and it will suffocate, but what happens a lot with non-tension snares is that it will tighten around a nonlethal part of the body, and the animal is basically stuck there until you go kill it, a predator kills it, or it dies from exposure. There is also a pretty good chance the animal will just escape, as it can get leverage off the ground.

I prefer "twitch up" snares, where there is a bent sapling that will whip the snare and the animal up into the air. This, at the very least, ensures the animal will almost overwhelmingly likely not get out of the snare, as well as keeps it out of the reach of predators, and, finally, tends to be far more lethal.

On 9/2/2016 at 0:01 AM, rikard said:

hello, I think the traps are a little unbalanced in game. For example the snare it's a quite advanced trap for a beginner survivor, for it's crafting it needs knowledge of knots, also some tracking abilities. My suggestion it's make a simple trap o a hole in the ground and sharpen sticks over it, that would be my first attempt of trap if I would lack of survival knowledge.

what do you think?

Actually rabbit snares like this are very simple to make and use - you literally need only a stick and a wire.  You find a place where rabbits travel (usually a small "gully" or trail going up an incline), place brush around each side to force the rabbit into your snare area.  Tie the wire to the stick.  Make the stick fast above your gully.  Tie a slip know in the other end of the wire.  Make it almost as large as the opening in the brush.  As the rabbit runs through, he'll catch it around his neck and pull it tight by trying to get away.  Takes almost zero knowledge.

I was wondering that as well, how those simple snares are so damn effective. Its an extremely small target in the middle of open field, yet rabbits manage to get caught in it on practically daily basis and they never escape apparently. Snare rabbit catch chance should be around 15-20%.

Id like to see a wolf trap. Not sure if its plausible tho. A square platform(4 logs, split and tied together with rope made of gut), with wooden spikes(16 sticks, each having 70% chance to break when trap falls), suspended by a rope(3 guts) from a tree branch with bait(meat) underneath it. Wolf(or bear) grabs the bait, trap falls, 50% chance to get a kill if wolf and 20% if bear.

2 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

I was wondering that as well, how those simple snares are so damn effective. Its an extremely small target in the middle of open field, yet rabbits manage to get caught in it on practically daily basis and they never escape apparently. Snare rabbit catch chance should be around 15-20%.

Id like to see a wolf trap. Not sure if its plausible tho. A square platform(4 logs, split and tied together with rope made of gut), with wooden spikes(16 sticks, each having 70% chance to break when trap falls), suspended by a rope(3 guts) from a tree branch with bait(meat) underneath it. Wolf(or bear) grabs the bait, trap falls, 50% chance to get a kill if wolf and 20% if bear.

Or, you could leave the traps on the ground, but pile rocks/logs on top, then use a branch to hold it up, so that when the wolf goes under it to grab the bait, he upsets the branch, and it traps him.  I know they used to do this for foxes - but even then you needed about 200lbs of weight.  Not sure if it would be effective for a wolf.  And for a bear, it would have to be enormous - probably easier to dig a pit full of stakes for the latter.

On 2016-09-02 at 1:01 AM, rikard said:

what do you think?

Like @Boston123 points out digging in the winter is a very hard endeavor. The ground's frozen solid so it's like digging through concrete. The simple snare on the other hand is very common. It's showcased on most survival shows and survival kits usually contain snare wire and a little instruction card on how to make the the trap. While more advanced (and more effective) traps would be nice the simple snare is a good place as any to start.

Archived