shelter maintenance +brainstorming ideas

Reahs

how about adding shelter degradation to the game??

anyone that have made it to day around 40 knows that there is almost nothing to do exept collecting wood,sticks,fish,meat,coal and cloth from costal highway

so all you do is that and sitting in your cabin that do not get affected of blizzards so why not make walls/windows/doors and roofs degrade slowly or break (hole?) during a powerfull blizzard so you have to maintain you shelter.

and while we are on this with shelter maintaining can they add small generator or maybe allow you to get the dam up and running during summer,fall and spring (maybe during the winter)

but to fix and maintaining the dam you need lots of resources (add hammer,wrench and other tools like that?) but if you get the dam up and running you will get power and all the houses lights will work 24/7 (add lightbulbs?) electric elements will heat you up if you have poor clothing or a beat up shelter.

now when we have power in our shelter we can use the refrigerator and microwave that exist in the most houses in the game.

maybe enable cooking on the stove and oven using gas/power? 

make it possible to coze in a couch under a blanket (add different kinds of blankets?) if you have poor clothing or/and a beat up shelter. (better than just standing there an slowly dying.

maybe make it posseble to just lie in the sleepingbag instead of pass time and sleeping so you can sleep/rest/passtime.

maybe add tents? (small/medium/large/?huge?) add storm kitchen and maybe add dry fuel+lighter

fishing net? may only be used during summer,fall and spring.

example:leave a net over night in the water and in the morning you have caught a few fishes

make it possible to stab stags and rabits if in range if you dont have any ranged weapons

more traps?bigger snares for stags/wolves

add salt?other spices salt may slow down the rotting process.

add cookies?:) sugar? candy?  

add skies for basic transport?

add more drinks? cherry powder drink like in russian MRE's/hot chocolate?/

make it possible extract fuel from the gas station in costal highway?

make it possible to look out of the windows to see how bad the weather is so you dont have to go outside to check.

please slow down the degradation speed of tools or atleast sewingkit/whetstone and rifle cleaning kit.

add  nuts/chips?

bowdrill??(bowdrill )

spear? woodenspear need to be sharpen often upgraded spear with arrowhead/arrowheads on it

charcoal sacks/bags?

firewood bags?(firewood bags)

scratch bark of trees?

get fat from animals? use to make torches?

harvestble carpets?

a better scarf maybe? wear 2 at the same time? dubble socks? i do always have 2 on me during the winter

add so you can get a cold u get slowed low carring cap and you are weak (add cough syrup/ aspirin and stuff like that to supress the cold's effects

now this was me brainstorming some stuff for 15min hope you whant to see some of these things and make sure to support the ideas you like.

i dident structure this in any way just wrote it as i came up with the idea.

Oh boy, here we go :D

On 1.9.2016 at 11:17 PM, Reahs said:

so all you do is that and sitting in your cabin that do not get affected of blizzards so why not make walls/windows/doors and roofs degrade slowly or break (hole?) during a powerfull blizzard so you have to maintain you shelter.

While I agree with the overall sentiment, wouldn't that be a bit hard to program? I'm not judging here, just asking a question.

and while we are on this with shelter maintaining can they add small generator or maybe allow you to get the dam up and running during summer,fall and spring (maybe during the winter)

We don't really know the nature of the Event that took place in TLD, but it seems to have fried all circuits, and then again it apparently hasn't - we just know that for some reason electricity isn't working - so, what do we power?

Also, a generator won't get the dam up and running - the dam is the generator.

maybe add tents? (small/medium/large/?huge?) add storm kitchen and maybe add dry fuel+lighter

Yep, I like this.

example:leave a net over night in the water and in the morning you have caught a few fishes

What you probably mean is a fish trap, those work best in running water. I like it, though! They can be constructed without nets, even, and generally pay off calorie-wise.

add salt?other spices salt may slow down the rotting process.

I'm all for salt and other methods of food preservation. However, most spices don't slow down degradation of food IRL - salt and sugar are the way to go since preservation of meats essentialy means getting the moisture out. I'd also like a smokehouse.

add more drinks? cherry powder drink like in russian MRE's/hot chocolate?/

Canadian MRE's, called IPA's, usually come with a beverage powder, coffee and other stuff, so I'd like to see that as well. MRE's/IPA's should be powerful but rare.

make it possible extract fuel from the gas station in costal highway?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't gas pumps electrically operated?

please slow down the degradation speed of tools or atleast sewingkit/whetstone and rifle cleaning kit.

Yep, I agree with this. Whetstones last for ages. Rifle cleaning kits seem to be limited by the amount of lubricant they contain, but that still doesn't justify the degradation rates (Disclaimer: I'm not a gun owner, so anyone who actually owns guns, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

harvestble carpets?

I make LARP armour out of spare pieces of carpet, and I can tell you, it's not really comfortable to wear nor does it offer much protection from heat. I suppose it could be used in a pinch, but even towels are better, mostly because they're more flexible. 

Ohh God, pls dont. Like we dont have enough "fun" already micromanaging food that spoils at lighting speeds, now we would have to do same with shelters. Exactly same nonsense, side view.

Im all for housing management, but most definitely not some crappy perpetually degrading condition bar that player has to fix every week or so. Something event-based, sure, with possible severe repercussions, like storm tearing off the roof or due to poor insulation snow melting and water leaking inside the house. Not some generic crap, where house, that could easily stand for 100 years slowly... erm.... doing something that degrades its... erm... something, that is indicated by condition bar.

Game needs more action, but this is the worse way to do it. More events, more dynamic world, sure, but this, no thx. Running in circles to justify lack of content is the worse way to make features.

Generator, dam, fridge etc - all electric circuitry is burned out. There is no electricity, and player most definitely is not an electric engineer, not he has materials to build those circuits. Best he could do is making a potato battery(if he had potatoes), but then again, light bulbs are fried as well.

And pls no "stabbing" stags. The fact that they can run thru player is already a bug, once its fixed this idea will become irrelevant on its own.

@Wastelander

Fish traps in the spring and onward would be awesome. Would take some time to make one(20-30 hours), but it would be a long term investment.

MREs could be treated as containers. When closed, it has extremely long shelf life, but once open it splits into several food items, with some of them going bad in matter of days.

Technically it should be possible to get fuel from underground container at gas station. Altho finding a key for maintenance hatch for it, thats another story. 8)

2 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Fish traps in the spring and onward would be awesome. Would take some time to make one(20-30 hours), but it would be a long term investment.

I'll see if I can find it, but I do have a copy of the US Army survival manual somewhere, and I am fairly certain it has some designs of fish traps.

MREs could be treated as containers. When closed, it has extremely long shelf life, but once open it splits into several food items, with some of them going bad in matter of days.

Yep, that's probably the most realistic way to handle them.

Technically it should be possible to get fuel from underground container at gas station. Altho finding a key for maintenance hatch for it, thats another story. 8)

Aaaand we have an idea for an item we'd actually have to go out of our way to look for, which is always a nice addition ;) 

8 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Oh boy, here we go :D

While I agree with the overall sentiment, wouldn't that be a bit hard to program? I'm not judging here, just asking a question.

We don't really know the nature of the Event that took place in TLD, but it seems to have fried all circuits, and then again it apparently hasn't - we just know that for some reason electricity isn't working - so, what do we power?

Also, a generator won't get the dam up and running - the dam is the generator.

Yep, I like this.

What you probably mean is a fish trap, those work best in running water. I like it, though! They can be constructed without nets, even, and generally pay off calorie-wise.

I'm all for salt and other methods of food preservation. However, most spices don't slow down degradation of food IRL - salt and sugar are the way to go since preservation of meats essentialy means getting the moisture out. I'd also like a smokehouse.

Canadian MRE's, called IPA's, usually come with a beverage powder, coffee and other stuff, so I'd like to see that as well. MRE's/IPA's should be powerful but rare.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't gas pumps electrically operated?

Yep, I agree with this. Whetstones last for ages. Rifle cleaning kits seem to be limited by the amount of lubricant they contain, but that still doesn't justify the degradation rates (Disclaimer: I'm not a gun owner, so anyone who actually owns guns, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

I make LARP armour out of spare pieces of carpet, and I can tell you, it's not really comfortable to wear nor does it offer much protection from heat. I suppose it could be used in a pinch, but even towels are better, mostly because they're more flexible. 

i wrote  "add small generator or maybe allow you to get the dam up and running" OR maybe allow you to get the dam up and running.

i undertand that a single small portable generator cant power a large dam and if it do what will it power? nothing i know that a dam generates power.....

3 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Ohh God, pls dont. Like we dont have enough "fun" already micromanaging food that spoils at lighting speeds, now we would have to do same with shelters. Exactly same nonsense, side view.

Im all for housing management, but most definitely not some crappy perpetually degrading condition bar that player has to fix every week or so. Something event-based, sure, with possible severe repercussions, like storm tearing off the roof or due to poor insulation snow melting and water leaking inside the house. Not some generic crap, where house, that could easily stand for 100 years slowly... erm.... doing something that degrades its... erm... something, that is indicated by condition bar.

Game needs more action, but this is the worse way to do it. More events, more dynamic world, sure, but this, no thx. Running in circles to justify lack of content is the worse way to make features.

Generator, dam, fridge etc - all electric circuitry is burned out. There is no electricity, and player most definitely is not an electric engineer, not he has materials to build those circuits. Best he could do is making a potato battery(if he had potatoes), but then again, light bulbs are fried as well.

And pls no "stabbing" stags. The fact that they can run thru player is already a bug, once its fixed this idea will become irrelevant on its own.

@Wastelander

and with the housing management i ment like small things breaking like a window (somehow) or like you sead water leaking in.

i dident know that everything was fried cuz the story is just a storm that drove over the land and the main character crashed with a plane

no 1000 lightnings strikeing down in everything is mentioned ever from what ive heard

2 hours ago, Reahs said:

i dident know that everything was fried cuz the story is just a storm that drove over the land and the main character crashed with a plane

Y'know, I could swear the splash screen explained about the Aurora, but it only very briefly mentions it. Quoting: "As the result of the geomagnetic disaster which serves as part of the fictional foundation of the game, we have taken liberties (...). This geomagnetic disaster will be explained in the Story Mode."

However, the official site's home page expands the concept a bit: "Imagine the lights go out, never to return. Bright aurora flare across the sky, and all humanity’s technological might is laid to waste, neutralized in a kind of quiet apocalypse."

Anyways, just for clarification: all electrical/electronic devices are now out of function and irrepairable -- and even that could be wrong, since we don't know (yet, at least) exactly what is the nature and consequences of the disaster.

18 hours ago, Reahs said:

and with the housing management i ment like small things breaking like a window (somehow) or like you sead water leaking in.

no 1000 lightnings strikeing down in everything is mentioned ever from what ive heard

Ahh, my bad, but only if it would be events, not some gradual decay that player has to address all the time. Like strong wind may or may not break off something.

Yeah, background story is a bit fishy topic and is subject to a lengthy debate that has been going on for a while. Stay tuned and pitch in with ideas and opinions.

Archived