Target practice map plz i suck

ZlatanHazard

I would really love a super tiny map where you get a bow and a rifle with a lot of arrows and bullets and where you shoot deer , wolf , and bear dummies at different distances that tell you where you hit. I play a game called The Hunter and they've got this kind of shooting stand , and i really love it so i thought why not have the same thing in TLD? I'd really love this mainly because i suck at bow hunting , i've shot something like 50 times with a bow and hit once and never retrieved the body of the deer i shot, no joke i'm seriously that bad :crosseye:I'm not as bad with a rifle , but i still need improvement. And i guess there's the bullseye behind the barn in PV , but it kinda sucks since you have to collect arrows and a bow then get to PV /: . It would be a super tiny map , that you obviously can't leave and i think it would a super helpful thing for new players and those who,like me, suck with a bow :big_smile:

If the sole purpose of that map would be to improve your aim... I wouldn't be in favour. 

My main reason for that would be that I think that skill should come out by your time in the game and the few shots you have to take. It makes every shot feel important. I've been improving my aim with the bow to the point I just need 2 arrows max to kill a deer or a wolf. It has taken me hundreds of hours and I still have a lot of room for improvement. It feels thrilling... and you have a sense of progress. If I had a place to endlessly train to become a master hunter from day 1, my guess is that the game would feel quite different. 

As a secondary reason: time management. Grabbing some arrows and heading to PV is one of the things you can do in game right now to practice (I did and found that is way easier to hit the practice target than the animals :D). Since we don't have any kind of story or quests or game generated content, I think it would be a pity to lose one of this "side activities".  

8 hours ago, ZlatanHazard said:

I would really love a super tiny map where you get a bow and a rifle with a lot of arrows and bullets and where you shoot deer , wolf , and bear dummies at different distances that tell you where you hit. I play a game called The Hunter and they've got this kind of shooting stand , and i really love it so i thought why not have the same thing in TLD? I'd really love this mainly because i suck at bow hunting , i've shot something like 50 times with a bow and hit once and never retrieved the body of the deer i shot, no joke i'm seriously that bad :crosseye:I'm not as bad with a rifle , but i still need improvement. And i guess there's the bullseye behind the barn in PV , but it kinda sucks since you have to collect arrows and a bow then get to PV /: . It would be a super tiny map , that you obviously can't leave and i think it would a super helpful thing for new players and those who,like me, suck with a bow :big_smile:

Thanks for your feedback on this. I know you say you aren't "as bad" with the rifle, but how have you found the Rifle Skill? Has the progression made a meaningful impact on your ability to use the Rifle? 

Certainly with the Bow, the more you use it the better you get. We like that as a tool, the Bow requires certain things from you that other tools in the game don't. But this topic is on our minds, so it's good to hear different perspectives. Thanks!:coffee:

8 hours ago, Ohbal said:

If the sole purpose of that map would be to improve your aim... I wouldn't be in favour. 

My main reason for that would be that I think that skill should come out by your time in the game and the few shots you have to take. It makes every shot feel important. I've been improving my aim with the bow to the point I just need 2 arrows max to kill a deer or a wolf. It has taken me hundreds of hours and I still have a lot of room for improvement. It feels thrilling... and you have a sense of progress. If I had a place to endlessly train to become a master hunter from day 1, my guess is that the game would feel quite different. 

As a secondary reason: time management. Grabbing some arrows and heading to PV is one of the things you can do in game right now to practice (I did and found that is way easier to hit the practice target than the animals :D). Since we don't have any kind of story or quests or game generated content, I think it would be a pity to lose one of this "side activities".  

I strongly agree with this perspective.  It would be much less immersive to drop into this game with advanced marksmanship skills.

I do target practice, but rarely in PV.  Pick a spot on a tree, start practicing.

1 hour ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Thanks for your feedback on this. I know you say you aren't "as bad" with the rifle, but how have you found the Rifle Skill? Has the progression made a meaningful impact on your ability to use the Rifle? 

Certainly with the Bow, the more you use it the better you get. We like that as a tool, the Bow requires certain things from you that other tools in the game don't. But this topic is on our minds, so it's good to hear different perspectives. Thanks!:coffee:

How does rifle skill actually affect shooting? I've only fired the rifle 10 times or so before this update, because I was conserving ammo, so if there's any difference I'm not sure I'd notice it. I've been using the rifle recently since it seems bullets are very common now. Also, is there going to be a bow skill?

Man, I have logged so much time trying to figure that bow out... I'm hopeless. I cannot for the life of me accurately picture where that arrow is going after I fire. Crack shot with the rifle, though.  

This is doubly upsetting, because in real life I've practiced archery for 20+ years.

4 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

how have you found the Rifle Skill? Has the progression made a meaningful impact on your ability to use the Rifle? 

Hard to tell as most of the riffle skill is gain through cleaning the thing. I must be a terrible riffle shooter, cause at level 3 I'm still unable to do one-hit kills. I do hit them though. Sorry to jump in btw :) 

3 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

I do target practice, but rarely in PV.  Pick a spot on a tree, start practicing.

Nice one, to be honest I haven't ever shoot at a tree. Do the arrows pierce wood as they do the target practice or do they bounce?

2 hours ago, danicusrex said:

Man, I have logged so much time trying to figure that bow out... I'm hopeless. I cannot for the life of me accurately picture where that arrow is going after I fire. Crack shot with the rifle, though.  

That's why I said I need two shoots! The first one is usually to calibrate, as I haven't found any way to truly know where I am aiming :D 

(and I'm fine with that too) 

22 hours ago, Ohbal said:

I suppose a new map just for target practice is too much , even if it is super tiny , so maybe just a shooting stand with animal dummies and distance indicators ? (Maybe on Desolation Point because then it would give it a purpose besides going there for the forge , wich is personally the only reason i go there , if i ever go there) 

Thanks for sharing your opinion :big_smile:

15 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Like Ohbal , apart from the condition you gain when cleaning , i personally haven't noticed it that much since i mostly go for head shots, and neck shots on deer , wich are one shot kills anyway . I find head shots to be a little too OP and a little unrealistic , since really if you don't hit the brain , wich is a super small target you won't kill the animal and you'll only leave it very badly injured , this is why it's very unwise to try for headshots on medium/big game animals IRL . At least we can't one shot bears anymore :big_smile:And thank you for your amazing work on this amazing game :big_smile:

17 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Also i feel like the bow skill that will be added is most likely going to be much more noticeable than the current rifle skill ,especially to me . I don't know what the bow skill is going to do , but maybe decrease the sway ? If that's the case then it will definitly make a big difference :big_smile:

16 hours ago, danicusrex said:

This is doubly upsetting, because in real life I've practiced archery for 20+ years.

It is probably because the in-game model for the bow suggests that the character is holding the bow cock-eyed all to hell.

To me, it looks almost like they are drawing the arrow back to the side of the forehead, right beside the eye. It looks .... weird, to say the least. 

I am still not used to it.

As for a target to practice with, I would really prefer if we could just make arrows without any heads, and loose them into whatever we wish. That is what I do in real life, use my headless arrows to kill stumps and logs, and my broadhead tipped arrows for everything else.

2 hours ago, Boston123 said:

As for a target to practice with, I would really prefer if we could just make arrows without any heads, and loose them into whatever we wish. That is what I do in real life, use my headless arrows to kill stumps and logs, and my broadhead tipped arrows for everything else.

Possibly, the ability to craft target tips in addition to hunting tips, and swap them out?

Either way, I'd like a way to practice without ruining the condition of my bow & precious few arrows.

To be honest, I'm horrible with the bow I can't even hit a wolf eating a decoy 10 yards away. Maybe in the Archery skill you could earn a crosshair? That would be amazing. With the Rifle, I can actually use it, but I hate waiting around for them to bleed out. I just reload the game until I instantly kill them. I'm a bit of a cheater.

Never had any problems with bow, but then again, i use it only at point blank range.

Regarding shooting range. Game dont even have tutorial, but should have shooting range. Seriously !??! 

Pick you weapon of choice, do something to save game, go somewhere, pick a target, start practicing, when done quit and reload game. Pseudo-problem solved.

On 9/1/2016 at 4:27 PM, danicusrex said:

Even as a mere player, I'm very interested in hearing about your opinion. What would you change in the gameplay/mechanic for it to reflect archery more accurately? (Considering the game only provides us with a makeshift bow, in case that's relevant.)

On 9/4/2016 at 8:10 PM, Hiemalis said:

Even as a mere player, I'm very interested in hearing about your opinion. What would you change in the gameplay/mechanic for it to reflect archery more accurately? (Considering the game only provides us with a makeshift bow, in case that's relevant.)

The sighting mechanic is... Odd. As has been pointed out, it appears the survivor is holding the bow off to one side, and drawing to their temple. This makes it very difficult to aim. 

Honestly, I would change the position of the bow & arrow, to reflect proper posture when drawing/ aiming. (This would make it easier to aim the bow, as well, since you'd sight down the arrow).

Stance-2.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Something closer to that.

On 9/1/2016 at 3:46 AM, ZlatanHazard said:

I would really love a super tiny map where you get a bow and a rifle with a lot of arrows and bullets and where you shoot deer , wolf , and bear dummies at different distances that tell you where you hit. 

For bow practice now, I just go over to the western end of CH, out on the ice near the fishing village.  If you hit, the deer almost always die on the ice (so you find them and your arrow); if you miss, it's easy to find the arrow (sometimes they skip though).  I'm getting better.  I've taken around 50 shots and probably have less than 10 hits, but 7 of those hits came in my last 20 or so shots.  

4 hours ago, Thurman Merman said:

For bow practice now, I just go over to the western end of CH, out on the ice near the fishing village.  If you hit, the deer almost always die on the ice (so you find them and your arrow); if you miss, it's easy to find the arrow (sometimes they skip though).  I'm getting better.  I've taken around 50 shots and probably have less than 10 hits, but 7 of those hits came in my last 20 or so shots.  

Thanks for the advice , i will definitely check that out since i'm on CH in my current run :D 

3 hours ago, ZlatanHazard said:

Thanks for the advice , i will definitely check that out since i'm on CH in my current run :D 

Eventually, you'll kill/scare them away.  You can do the same thing on the E side, but there's the bear and what seems like more wolves.  I usually take those days to fish, chop wood, repair clothes, etc.

Archived