"Container System" for liquids

Vinceofpyrenees

I've already read from other members that a system for liquid's containers have been discussed, but I don't find the topic.

I always wondering how our character can carry cups of tea, coffee and others. Don't he liquid flow inside the backpack ?

How can he carry 10 liters of water without bottles ?

Everybody know we don't need bottles of cups to stock liquids unfortunetly. They are generated automatically when we product liquid (water boiled), tea, etc...

I think the game needs a system of containers to pretend to perform a realistic level of survival. Which where we cannot stock liquids without bottles.

Because, yes, in reality, we cannot walk and carry 10 kilos of water without bring at least 4-5 bottles with us.

So it shoud be items like "plastic bottles", "metal bottles", etc...

For plastic bottles, those are easy to find - in the second or third season of Survivor, participants are dropped off at an uninhabited island and quickly find plastic bottles in trash piles washed up on the shore.

I'd really like a distinction like the metal bottles you mentioned - like, thermos's being heavier but able to keep liquids warm etc.

The question is how would we do that? There's only limited resources both in Hinterland itself and our computers, and each new item needs to be coded, scripted, modeled, skinned and placed in the studios, and rendered in the game. Personally, I'd keep the old "magic plastic bottles" and just add thermos's as an extra item. 

22 hours ago, Wastelander said:

The question is how would we do that? There's only limited resources both in Hinterland itself and our computers, and each new item needs to be coded, scripted, modeled, skinned and placed in the studios, and rendered in the game. Personally, I'd keep the old "magic plastic bottles" and just add thermos's as an extra item. 

Yes I imagine. But for our cumputers, The Long Dark is very affordable ans that kind of mechanics complexify the all, but reasonnably. For the thermos we agree. Because, actually, no way to drink hot water even with a campfire ! Idiot thing !

On 31/8/2016 at 9:12 AM, Wastelander said:

For plastic bottles, those are easy to find - in the second or third season of Survivor, participants are dropped off at an uninhabited island and quickly find plastic bottles in trash piles washed up on the shore.

I'd really like a distinction like the metal bottles you mentioned - like, thermos's being heavier but able to keep liquids warm etc.

I find amusing that reasoning behind the collection of water bottles. ;) 

Aren't sticks and logs easy to find as well and we have to manually pick them? 

I think water management in TLD is lacking some strategic component. Such an important survival element and we take it for granted. I can literally boil 50 litters in one long sitting and I don't need to worry about water for a month. At what extra cost for me? None! I didn't have to pick up any bottle, nor worry about its state or condition... 

I'd be completely in favour of an expanded water mechanic. 

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 5:45 AM, Ohbal said:

I find amusing that reasoning behind the collection of water bottles. ;) 

Aren't sticks and logs easy to find as well and we have to manually pick them? 

I think water management in TLD is lacking some strategic component. Such an important survival element and we take it for granted. I can literally boil 50 litters in one long sitting and I don't need to worry about water for a month. At what extra cost for me? None! I didn't have to pick up any bottle, nor worry about its state or condition... 

I'd be completely in favour of an expanded water mechanic. 

Well put.  The survivor should have a limit to the amount of water that can be carried based on the total volume of the containers s/he can find.  With all the houses in the various maps, there should be no problem to get plastic bottles, but finding and managing the condition of them would be interesting gameplay.  Furthermore, a metal pot for boiling said water should be a necessary inventory item - they could offer a variety that would balance weight against the volume of water that can be treated at any given time.  Without a pot, you'd better have water purification tablets.  I would also like to point out that trying to stuff snow into a narrow-necked water bottle would be maddening.  Why can't we collect un-purified water from lake ice-fishing holes?

The other thing to consider is how to keep water liquid in below freezing temperatures.  An un-insulated container would not keep the water from freezing solid, making it temporarily undrinkable and the expansion might rupture the plastic bottle.  Later game crafting might permit the creation of water skins from deer hides.

One could quench thirst by melting slow in their mouth,

Similarly, I'd like to extend this for fuel. It really annoys me that when I use up a lantern fuel bottle it disappears: now I can't use that bottle to keep the excess fuel from harvesting a spare lantern, or decant some into it from my jerry can to carry about.

Containers are in the game. We just need to be able to make more intelligent use of them. I~t makes so much more sense than the 'implied' version, and I really don't think it could be beyond the scope of the Hinterland designers to make it work intuitively.

19 minutes ago, Pillock said:

Similarly, I'd like to extend this for fuel. It really annoys me that when I use up a lantern fuel bottle it disappears: now I can't use that bottle to keep the excess fuel from harvesting a spare lantern, or decant some into it from my jerry can to carry about.

Containers are in the game. We just need to be able to make more intelligent use of them. I~t makes so much more sense than the 'implied' version, and I really don't think it could be beyond the scope of the Hinterland designers to make it work intuitively.

yes, for fuel too. I think maybe for empty cans and preserves ! >> so cans and preserves could be use as containers so (and fire box for preserves :) it's kind a mix of candle and lantern) !

Remember though that there are lots of pots, pans and containters laying around abandoned in the various houses on the map. You may not be able to carry it with you but finding 50L of storage space isn't too hard. You can even freeze the pots and stack the ice disks in layers to melt as needed for pure water.

Also, I'd love there to be the ability to eat melted snow but that would undermine the whole "drink melted snow and instantly get dysentery" that's presently in the game. :silly:

Archived