Orbiter 2016

homepage: http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

youtube:

It's an awesome space flight simulator, and it's free.
A new version has been released today after many years.

I haven't actually played it in a long time, but I have always been loosely following its development.

Learning curve can be steep (it's a simulator), but if anyone is into this kind of things, it's definitely worth a look ;)

Ah, then you're out of luck! :(

Orbiter is only limited to our solar system, but even so it is pretty rewarding: the first time you manage to launch the Space Shuttle, place it into orbit, rendezvous and dock it to the International Space Station you feel like a rocket scientist :D

There's also a large community of addon developers that recreated historical missions (e.g. Apollo), futuristic spacecrafts from TV shows and movies, many custom missions and tutorials.

I've known Celestia by name, but never really played with it.
Most of my space needs have always been covered by Orbiter and Stellarium (awesome free planetarium).

25 minutes ago, Coccolo said:

Ah, then you're out of luck! :(

Orbiter is only limited to our solar system, but even so it is pretty rewarding: the first time you manage to launch the Space Shuttle, place it into orbit, rendezvous and dock it to the International Space Station you feel like a rocket scientist :D

There's also a large community of addon developers that recreated historical missions (e.g. Apollo), futuristic spacecrafts from TV shows and movies, many custom missions and tutorials.

I've known Celestia by name, but never really played with it.
Most of my space needs have always been covered by Orbiter and Stellarium (awesome free planetarium).

As a kid, I've always wanted to be a rocket scientist, so I'll give it a try just to get that childhood feeling bad :D 

As for Celestia, it's not really a game per-se - you can look at stuff, but that's about it. If you want to mess with stuff, try Sandbox Universe 2. It's not free though, but you can do a lot of stuff - exchange the sun for a black hole, crash things into the earth, mess with entire galaxies, you name it.

Archived