Where to find arrows ?

ZlatanHazard

I was just wondering where could i find arrows , doesen't matter if they're broken or not , since i really don't like going to DP for the sole purpose of making arrowheads. I have 4 broken arrows that i got from ML (2 in the lower dam, one at the unnamed pond and the last in the hunting blind near alan's cave) , i'm currently in CH and i want to go to PV without passing by Desolation Point because i just kinda feel like that map is a little pointless (pun intended :big_smile:and also i don't mean to disrespect the developers who have made an amazing job and who i can't thank enough for making this fantastic game :love:) . So where can i find arrows in CH or maybe in PV , and could 4 arrowheads be enough since you technically never lose them even when you break the arrows or should i go to DP even though it would kinda suck if i have to :crosseye:

Thank you for taking the time to answer :big_smile:

39 minutes ago, Thurman Merman said:

I've also found an arrowhead in the cash register at the Quonset.  And if you're planning to go to PV, I always find one or two arrows in the Hut at TWM, which is only a short walk form the TWM/PV exchange.

Thanks for the info , i'll make sure to check out the hut at TWM when i eventually get there . Quick question , do you think that 4 arrows could be enough so that i can skip DP ? since you technically never lose them right ? 

You can also find 2 or 3 arrows in Pleasant Valley, stuck on a shooting target close to the barn, or laying on the ground close to it.
The shooting target is on the corner of the barn that has a few trees.

Also, don't think that you can never loose arrowheads: I lost some by shooting at animals that didn't die instantly and run away with them!
Sometimes I wasn't even able to collect the arrow back from a body because the animal fell over it.
So, the more you have the better! ;)

11 minutes ago, ZlatanHazard said:

Thanks for the info , i'll make sure to check out the hut at TWM when i eventually get there . Quick question , do you think that 4 arrows could be enough so that i can skip DP ? since you technically never lose them right ? 

In theory. You better make sure you can always recover your arrows though. Otherwise you can lose arrows in the way @Coccolo mentioned :silly:

Arrow heads seem to be extremely rare, as rare as finding a cured hide, if i remember correctly i've found 3 arrow heads and i've looted over 5k items. Don't count on it XD
I'll note the locations i know of that have arrows.

Mystery Lake; The dam, just when you load into the second part, atleast 1 arrow can always be found, sometimes there's a second arrow stuck in the door, sometimes this arrow is broken and will be laying on the floor just under the door.
Pleasant Valley; Near the Farmstead is a bullseye, always atleast two arrows can be found here, sometimes with a third, there's also always a broken arrow on the ground next to it.
Desolation Point; in Katies Secluded Corner you can always find atleast 1 arrow stuck in a deer carcass, even when the bow and arrows did not spawn, there's usually always that deer carcass with an arrow stuck in it, sometimes there's a broken arrow next to it.
When the bow did spawn you can get an additional 2 arrows, might be 3 rarely but i could be imagining that :P

Note: Sometimes you might think your arrow is on the back of the animal once it dies and you can no longer retrieve it, this is not always the case, sometimes you can scrape? the animal with the arrow, injuring said animal but the arrow will be shot behind the animal, keep that in mind when hunting ^^ (Perhaps just a glitch but still)

Edit: During a nomad challenge i once found 7 arrows only by playing in PV and DC

32 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

Arrow heads seem to be extremely rare, as rare as finding a cured hide, if i remember correctly i've found 3 arrow heads and i've looted over 5k items. Don't count on it XD
I'll note the locations i know of that have arrows.

Mystery Lake; The dam, just when you load into the second part, atleast 1 arrow can always be found, sometimes there's a second arrow stuck in the door, sometimes this arrow is broken and will be laying on the floor just under the door.
Pleasant Valley; Near the Farmstead is a bullseye, always atleast two arrows can be found here, sometimes with a third, there's also always a broken arrow on the ground next to it.
Desolation Point; in Katies Secluded Corner you can always find atleast 1 arrow stuck in a deer carcass, even when the bow and arrows did not spawn, there's usually always that deer carcass with an arrow stuck in it, sometimes there's a broken arrow next to it.
When the bow did spawn you can get an additional 2 arrows, might be 3 rarely but i could be imagining that :P

I think on my most recent Stalker run, I found 15 arrows/heads across all maps - so, rare, but plenty.  In addition to place you mention, and the few I have mentioned above, I have found random ones by bodies in caves, IIRC, and near most (all ?) of  the hunter's blinds at one time or another.

I try to hunt facing the coast in CH, so that the animals stays on the thick ice when it dies (very easy to find the body that way) or in the center part of PV (where it's pretty flat and white).  Also the pond/lake at TWM/ML is a fairly low risk place to bow hunt.  I try never to bow hunt in hilly woods.

2 hours ago, Thurman Merman said:

I think on my most recent Stalker run, I found 15 arrows/heads across all maps - so, rare, but plenty.  In addition to place you mention, and the few I have mentioned above, I have found random ones by bodies in caves, IIRC, and near most (all ?) of  the hunter's blinds at one time or another.

I try to hunt facing the coast in CH, so that the animals stays on the thick ice when it dies (very easy to find the body that way) or in the center part of PV (where it's pretty flat and white).  Also the pond/lake at TWM/ML is a fairly low risk place to bow hunt.  I try never to bow hunt in hilly woods.

Exactly, wasn't sure about the ones found in caves next to bodies or carcasses in caves, but now i am :)
Hunting shacks yes, i think but again not 100% sure, that it's possible to find loose arrows without a bow in every hunting shack.

Ps: i stink at bow hunting, about 30 total shots taken so far and i think i hit two haha and those two or atleast one eventually had to happen....
The second was most recent, when i hit a wolf and it died 5 steps further because i aready fought with it, couldn't see my arrow and then when turning back i saw it stuck in the snow, hence i think you can scrape them for minimal damage.

Actually i'm going to make a topic about it maybe someone who has it confirmed can answer that because it also might be just a glitch that happened.

Edit: Also found an arrow head in that same cash register once, other times it was a bullet, most of the time nothing or a newsprint roll.

bow hunting takes patience and practice and it is best done fully rested.  Find a dear carcass or dead wolf and use it for target practice from different angles and you will get a better feel.

My newest tactic is to get into a fishing hut in CH near the Log Sort where there are wolves a plenty....get behind a deer herd and chase them towards the wolves..... :) the wolves kill the deer for me.... then a torch run or similar at the deer carcass and hungry wolf chases the wolf away, build fire, harvest deer, leave....  not an easy tactic but a free kill is good eating....especially fresh. saves ammo too.

3 hours ago, AZHockeyNut said:

bow hunting takes patience and practice and it is best done fully rested.  Find a dear carcass or dead wolf and use it for target practice from different angles and you will get a better feel

If you just want to practice I recommend the targets behind the barn in Pleasant Valley

Speaking of bow hunting.... How many arrows does it take to kill a bear? I have a new tactic I use on the bears that works best with the rifle and laying down, I find high ground (like boulders) they can't see me from and I shoot them, usually they die, not always, but if they do not see me they run off in a different direction and I get to stay in one piece. tough to shoot the bow laying down because of how the character holds it.

1 hour ago, elloco999 said:

@AZHockeyNut It only takes 1 arrow to kill a bear. Hit the bear with the arrow and wait for it to die... Might take a couple of hours, but it will die eventually. I don't think it's possible to insta-kill a bear with 1 arrow, but I may be mistaken there.

If insta killing a bear with 1 arrow isn't possible now , it was in the past , i've never done it personnaly (actually i've never killed anything with a bow because i suck) but i've seen a youtuber called GelTaz do it a bunch of times. He's a TLD youtuber i recommend you check him out if you don't know him :big_smile:

On 9/2/2016 at 6:06 PM, ZlatanHazard said:

If insta killing a bear with 1 arrow isn't possible now , it was in the past , i've never done it personnaly (actually i've never killed anything with a bow because i suck) but i've seen a youtuber called GelTaz do it a bunch of times. He's a TLD youtuber i recommend you check him out if you don't know him :big_smile:

As GELtaz has demonstrated several times, to instakill a bear with an arrow, the bear's right eye (ie, the one on your left as you face him) is the spot you need to hit. I've also seen GELtaz instakill a bear with an arrow to the heart.

Archived