Mid-scale hazards

Wastelander

This is less of a wish per-se and more of a suggestion, if I may say so. A suggestion we could discuss about.

Here's what I have in mind: A single human is capable of doing a lot of damage to their surround environment. Be it a loud noise that triggers an avalanche or a stray bullet that ruptures a tank full of... something that's toxic. Here's a few suggestions and the pros and cons I see in them:

• Avalanche: Triggered by gunshots. Pros: Makes you be more aware of your surroundings when firing your gun and adds another threat to hunting. Cons: Highly situational, possibly requires semi-permanent alternations to the map, might be unfair unless done perfectly right.
  • Ruptured tank: Triggered by stray bullets. Pros: Makes you make absolutely sure you're gonna hit. Cons: Even more situational than avalanches, no tanks full of toxic substances in the game yet, definitely requires permanent alterations to the map
  • Bear rampage: Triggered by overhunting a certain area around a bear's lair. Pros: The bear is out to get you, specifically because you're the only food source around. Cons: Requires alterations to animal AI and spawning, pretty OP
  • Fire out of control: Triggered by dropping flares or torches in wooden buildings and maybe some RNG. Pros: Makes you make absolutely sure where you drop your flamey stuff, we get to burn things down, hell yeah! Cons: Requires permanent alterations to the map, highly situational, makes shelters permanently unavailable.
  • Addiction: Triggered by consuming a large amount of painkillers over a few days. Pros: Makes you balance your med intake. Cons: Highly situational, quitting cold turkey requires a completely new condition

So, does any of this make sense to you? Got any more ideas? Or do you think none of these add any value to the gameplay? Please discuss ^_^

I dont think that terrain in game area is suitable for generation of avalanches.

Ruptured tank. Erm, what toxic substances ? Who would keep them in areas where they are so easily accessible to begin with ?

You must be really really really really reckless and really really really really really unlucky to burn down a house with a flare.

I dont really think that game has painkillers that can cause addiction. Stuff in game is rather mild, judging by its effects.

On 8/28/2016 at 1:36 AM, Wastelander said:

Fire out of control: Triggered by dropping flares or torches in wooden buildings and maybe some RNG. Pros: Makes you make absolutely sure where you drop your flamey stuff, we get to burn things down, hell yeah! Cons: Requires permanent alterations to the map, highly situational, makes shelters permanently unavailable.

On 8/28/2016 at 1:36 AM, Wastelander said:

Avalanche: Triggered by gunshots. Pros: Makes you be more aware of your surroundings when firing your gun and adds another threat to hunting. Cons: Highly situational, possibly requires semi-permanent alternations to the map, might be unfair unless done perfectly right.

These are make sense !!!! 

Adding to mid-scale hazards: the path to other maps somehow becoming temporarily blocked -- I don't know, perhaps by a few fallen trees after a particularly harsh blizzard. You'd have to wait for a few days, or spend a few dozen hours of hatcheting, before going through.

Just now, Hiemalis said:

Adding to mid-scale hazards: the path to other maps somehow becoming temporarily blocked -- I don't know, perhaps by a few fallen trees after a particularly harsh blizzard. You'd have to wait for a few days, or spend a few dozen hours of hatcheting, before going through.

Ooooooh this. So much this. Blizzards need to be an actual threat. 

On 28.8.2016 at 11:39 PM, Dirmagnos said:

Ruptured tank. Erm, what toxic substances ? Who would keep them in areas where they are so easily accessible to begin with ?

I have to admit, the ruptured tanks weren't the best idea I ever had. Still, it's a concept one could explore. Chemical spills do happen, even in the first world, unfortunately.

You must be really really really really reckless and really really really really really unlucky to burn down a house with a flare.

And punishing that sort of reckless behaviour is the point of my idea. You're right that luck, or the lack thereof, plays a big role in here, so it'd be hard to balance if implemented (which I highly doubt, by the way).

I dont really think that game has painkillers that can cause addiction. Stuff in game is rather mild, judging by its effects.

Everything can get addictive, but you're right on that one.

19 hours ago, Hiemalis said:

And then what ? In couple of days that tree blockage evaporates or something ? Wolves carry it away ? And if you have a good tree fall, one that you cant bypass normally, it will take a lot more than a few hours with a hatchet to clear it out.

8 hours ago, Wastelander said:

I have to admit, the ruptured tanks weren't the best idea I ever had. Still, it's a concept one could explore. Chemical spills do happen, even in the first world, unfortunately.

And punishing that sort of reckless behaviour is the point of my idea. You're right that luck, or the lack thereof, plays a big role in here, so it'd be hard to balance if implemented (which I highly doubt, by the way).

I just dont see what there could be stored in the middle of nowhere that could be toxic. Propane tanks would be your best bet(maybe something toxic at whale processing plant), but they are usually reinforced to prevent such things from happening. Altho if it will go off, it would probably destroy everything in vicinity. Also, chemical spills only happen in first world countries, even if they happen in second/third world countries its usually due to fact that first world countries use then as a dump for their chemical or radioactive waste.

To be honest i find carbon dioxide poisoning greater possibility and threat than accidental flare fire. Didnt clean chimney ? Used some crappy wet wood as fuel ? Loaded 2 much wood in the stove to prevent proper ventilation?

1 hour ago, Dirmagnos said:

And then what ? In couple of days that tree blockage evaporates or something ? Wolves carry it away ? And if you have a good tree fall, one that you cant bypass normally, it will take a lot more than a few hours with a hatchet to clear it out.

Sure, it doesn't really make too much sense IRL. I was thinking inside the game's frame of mind/structure/design, where the survivor can't jump over small obstacles (and probably won't ever be able to), and it doesn't take too much to block her way. I assume we're talking about the same game.

@Dirmagnos, I mean no harm, but it seems to me that you don't have much savoir-faire when it comes to interacting with people in a healthy, socially adequate manner, so please let me help you: don't address me in that arrogant, pretentious, sarcastic tone. I don't like it. I understand and respect that you only care about facts, not people -- but these forums are full of both.

3 hours ago, Hiemalis said:

Sure, it doesn't really make too much sense IRL. I was thinking inside the game's frame of mind/structure/design, where the survivor can't jump over small obstacles (and probably won't ever be able to), and it doesn't take too much to block her way. I assume we're talking about the same game.

@Dirmagnos, I mean no harm, but it seems to me that you don't have much savoir-faire when it comes to interacting with people in a healthy, socially adequate manner, so please let me help you: don't address me in that arrogant, pretentious, sarcastic tone. I don't like it. I understand and respect that you only care about facts, not people -- but these forums are full of both.

How exactly does it fit inside game frame of mind/structure/design aside from "i wannt it to be so" ? Because in this case i wannt an indestructible Apache helicopter with unlimited ammunition and fuel. It fits into game frame of mind in the same way.

6 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

How exactly does it fit inside game frame of mind/structure/design aside from "i wannt it to be so" ? Because in this case i wannt an indestructible Apache helicopter with unlimited ammunition and fuel. It fits into game frame of mind in the same way.

Okay.

Archived