Speculation?

Hatchet

With a question mark, because i want to talk about all the little details about upcoming things that we saw in trailers, screenshots, art, etc... and which Hinterland Studio didn't really talk about, things that may or may not happen.

-The Aurora borealis, when it occurs will ignite nearby lights, in one of the new screenshot you can see a car with it's lights on, so i can only guess it will also ignite interior lights, however think about it, most outdoor lightbulbs would explode because of the instant temperature change, but inside buildings that would still work here and there meaning that it will allow players to use the event to their advantage, so it's not just a pretty thing in the sky, this gets me hyped.
Talking about advantages, in the  screenshots you could also notice that it brings disadvantages with it as well, by blocking off certain paths, my imagination was going crazy when i saw that!

-In the "paper doll" interface screenshot if you look closely you can see that each body part now has a visible temperature meter so you can see where the cold is coming in.
I have no idea what the waterdrop icon and percentage could mean.
However, accessories, what could those be? I think it's something entirely new, i don't think accessories would be a lantern or flares or anything like that.
But i think that the amount of availible slots are 4 because the doll has 4 pockets (assuming the vest has no inner pocket and the jeans back pockets don't count, could be, it won't be balanced if you have a plethora of pockets.
They did talk about new clothing features after all, additional character customization
Just think of it as armor slots, instead these will be called "pocket slots" XD

-Somewhere they said that they won't be using the sandbox maps in the story and vice versa, in the story mode you will have a map, in sandbox mode you won't.
The mission interface screenshot has an option to view your objective on the map, the same map icon can also be seen on your logbook (upper left side) in the same screenshot.

-In one of the screenshot if you inspect them closely enough you can see that there's an option to sit planned, and maybe you'll be able to sit on tree trunks as well.

I will including your comments in this post if you wish, just let me know.

Yea speculation time!!!! I like your ideas on the aurora.

I always fought the Aurora is a result of solar flares (since they are caused by them). More precisely, since every electrical installation went down... It may have been caused by a solar flare strong enough to repel earth's magnetic field close enough to earth and thus induction happens. Making current pass through everything that can conduct electricity.

That would explain this screenshot too:

TheLongDark_Aurora_Shock.jpg.e69b9423761

High current passing through the door (well with some inconsistency imo but anyway). So yea, if the initial Aurora brang down everything, other ones, less strong, might just induce those current without damaging even more those devices.

(Just adding some info so we can have a more informed discussion.)

I don't think this'll make much of a difference, but the aurora borealis and australis are phenomena that already happen in the real world. The in-game aurorae are caused by the Aurora, and thus are a distinct phenomena -- even though they're visually identical, from what we see in the screenshots.

Apparently, the game already accounts for how wet our survivor is; an user already speculated that's what the waterdrop/percentage icon is about.

I remember reading from an official source that they're going to use the sandbox maps in the story mode as well. There'll be (initially two, if I'm not mistaken) more maps added; we won't see these maps in the sandbox mode; at least not before the first episode release.

2 hours ago, Hiemalis said:

I remember reading from an official source that they're going to use the sandbox maps in the story mode as well. There'll be (initially two, if I'm not mistaken) more maps added; we won't see these maps in the sandbox mode; at least not before the first episode release.

I believe they said only mystery lake will be making a comeback to the story mode along with the new regions. I really hope those new regions will be playable in sanbox after completing the episode

29 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

I believe they said only mystery lake will be making a comeback to the story mode along with the new regions. I really hope those new regions will be playable in sanbox after completing the episode

Wow, really?! I must have misread something. Boy, has sandbox mode grown up since it was supposed to be just a test-bed.

I'm looking forward to playing those new maps in sandbox too. (Unless they are completely contextual and wouldn't make sense outside of story mode, but let's hope otherwise.)

4 hours ago, CarolinaSantAngelo said:

This is the wet cloth mechanism without doubt. For example you can see that what's wet there it's the gloves, which if you only have wool or cotton ones they would get wet from snow pretty quickly. 

Theres a saying, "Cotton Kills" because it loses 90 percent of its insulation when wet and can even make it worse. 

Wool however keeps a lot more insulation and you have to really drench it if you want adverse effects. 

I was going to quote every single one of you but that would make a big wall of text, and right now i'm way too lazy to do that.
It's my own fault because i didn't reply quickly enough.
Besides it wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing therefore no eyes would be attracted to read it.

So instead i'll do this;

I don't really remember much about what they sall said about the Aurora @Resethel, but like @Hiemalis said, the developers said that it'll be different.

The waterdrop theory does indeed make a lot of sense, so that would couple with frostbite affliction good thinking on that @CarolinaSantAngelo, @Ohbal, @Hiemalis and @MarrowStone
And i didn't even notice the third slot of pants, i mean i did but i, for some unkown reason thought that we already had 3... I need to sleep more.
I did also notice the glasses slot but forgot to mention those, good for bringing all that up @Wastelander

I saw the other 3d models in the back as you said @MarrowStone but didn't bring it up because you can't basically tell what is what :P

~Hatchet

Archived