Intel HD 3000 Graphics

Hello everyone,

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with integrated graphics. It is always a major dilemma as to whether or not to actually purchase a game because my graphics are so far below the requirement for most games. As such, I have to search around the internet and I usually find "It won't run" or "buy a better computer" or "it might run". As of this post I have sunk 53 hours into the amazing game that is The Long Dark. If you're like me, you can't afford a better computer with a dedicated GPU, as much as you might want one. I'm hoping that this post will help others in my situation find the answer they so desperately want!

Here are my specs:

Capture.PNG.a4a081573614dd5ff04b751c27ac

(note: 32 MB of dedicated VRAM that cannot be altered in BIOS)

And here the game is running:

Untitled.thumb.png.5bba566e8ff883f08f150

So, as you can see, I'm getting 14 FPS in this screenshot, and yes, I'm running in windowed mode on low settings. But the point is, you can very much play the game and I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it. I typically get 10-25 FPS and while that's not "playable" to some people in the PC master race subreddit, it's very playable for me. Just a side note, I can also run games like The Forest, Tropico 5, and Rocket League all perfectly fine, even though my integrated graphics are far below the minimum specs. Once again, I hope this helps someone trying to decide whether or not to buy the game. If you have Intel HD 3000 graphics, an Intel i5 processor, and a decent amount of RAM I highly recommend that you get this game. You will not only be helping to support an amazing game studio, you'll also be joining a great community and you will be investing in a game that can offer endless hours of immersive, enjoyable gameplay. If you can't run the game, it will always be in your library and you'll likely eventually get a computer that can run it. The game is only getting better with every update and has a very bright future. Either way, if you like the survival genre, you should make this investment!

It's surprising to see how resource-light this game can be. I have an Acer Aspire E15 with Intel HD integrated graphics and a Nvidia GeForce 840m with two gigs of dedicated vram and the game actually doesn't use the GeForce unless I use the highest settings. Very useful when university lectures get boring ^_^

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2016 at 4:21 AM, DarkLightning71 said:

Here are my specs:

Capture.PNG.a4a081573614dd5ff04b751c27ac

(note: 32 MB of dedicated VRAM that cannot be altered in BIOS)

So, as you can see, I'm getting 14 FPS in this screenshot, and yes, I'm running in windowed mode on low settings. But the point is, you can very much play the game and I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it. I typically get 10-25 FPS and while that's not "playable" to some people in the PC master race subreddit, it's very playable for me. Just a side note, I can also run games like The Forest, Tropico 5, and Rocket League all perfectly fine, even though my integrated graphics are far below the minimum specs. Once again, I hope this helps someone trying to decide whether or not to buy the game. If you have Intel HD 3000 graphics, an Intel i5 processor, and a decent amount of RAM I highly recommend that you get this game.

To confirm what DarkLightning71 says above, I too have a laptop with Intel HD3000 graphics, and find that TLD runs fine on it.

Here are my specs.

Capture2a.PNG.c391fbd822958b3a51910d6291

Capture3.PNG.56ef90c8700dde74d25e789ac06

Capture4.PNG.9e0b849f94288205643035ce752

In my case, as you can see, I have 64MB of dedicated graphics memory (that can't be altered in BIOS), and I find I can run the game full-screen, at the 'Ultra' graphics setting, and consistently get around 14-16 FPS indoors, and around 9-11 FPS outdoors, and occasionally higher. For those used to higher rates, it might not sound a lot, but TLD isn't exactly an action game or online shooter, and it's very playable even at such low frame rates.In fact, when I finally got around to checking my framerate for this post (I've never bothered before), I was kinda shocked how low it actually was, because the game plays quite smoothly, and I've never felt the lack.

It's true that TLD is a game that doesn't seem to suffer from low FPS, you don't notice it that much.

I have Windows 10. CPU Intel Core 3120M 2.5Ghz. Intel graphics hd 4000. RAM 4GB and I run the game between 15 to 25 FPS. (Average 18/22)

In other games 18/20 fps are a problem. Here? It's good. Doesn't ruin anything. 

****update****

I bought a I7 6500U, 8GB RAM, Gtx 940mx 2GB notebook and I run the game in ultra now at 45 fps. :P 

I have R5 230 2GB VRAM which is SLIGHTLY better than Intel 3000 HD but still bad to run the game. According to some websites, I can run it on either low settings or nothing.

To my surprise? I can run it WAY low (800x600 resolution, low settings) and I can run it at 30+ FPS! Amazing! You dont need a better GPU unless you are "heavily" gamer and hungry for better resolution and graphics.

I too have Intel i5 2460 3.2ghz processor and 8GB RAM and able to run the forest too, even though it's less than minimum. 

• 4 months later...

Archived