Story Mode Progress: August Update

Admin

Didn't play TLD for a while but always enjoy reading about updates -- this is so f*cking awesome what you are writing about in the August update. I already wrote it in the past and i can only repeat: you are all doing a great job at Hinterland. Keep up the good work, guys ...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Team Hinterland <3

Great update guys - perfect mix of text and images, and just the right level of detail without being too 'spoilery'.

Appreciate you taking the time out to let folks know what you've been toiling away on behind the scenes. 

Good luck with the remaining TLD development!

Y'know, I've been playing videogames for almost thirty years. This isn't my first early access game, but it is the first time I get to truly journey along the game's development.

This is a great place and time to be. I recognize the effort, care and love you're putting into this game (at least in the parts you've already shared with us in one way or another), and I feel quite content in seeing that someone knows the song to our (freezing, survivalist) hearts -- and is willing to sing it.

Story mode, sandbox mode, it doesn't matter; this is bound to become a great experience for more than a few people. The journey has been exciting. Thanks a lot.

Great to hear an update! The new region looks very interesting, can't wait to see it "in person"

And Cater Hydro looks amazing! Large industrial complexes are very cool, but it seems the only games that have them are FPS, and I hate FPS. Oh and during the aurora, will the bridge crane work? :D Those things are fun, and very handy, I've got a buddy who has one in his shop. For it to look *completely* correct It needs the cable to loop around the pulley in the snatch block and go back up the crane, like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=snatch+block&rlz=1C1LEND_enUS553US607&espv=2&biw=1440&bih=791&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimyJ6gkt7OAhUG-2MKHSLAAw0Q_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=crane+snatch+block&imgrc=MH5XE27kAPMIeM%3A

I'm not complaining though, it looks great!

Sam

Awesome i love how you guys keep on improving this game, such little (or big) details make it so much more fun and immersive to play. The new clothing system looks cool. One thing i ask is those cabins that have hardly no cabinets etc ie. TWM cabin, can you guys place more shelves or even Hooks that we can hang certain objects on, ie clothing, bows, rifle, ropes etc.

Who cares? Seriously, whatever we get shown in advance doesn't matter to me anymore. If it's a TLD update, I know it's going to be great and cost me another 50+ hours of time. The only thing I'd want to know is WHEN, but it's totally understandable not to commit to that. Take your time do it right - why be an independent studio if you can't set your own pace?
I am looking forward to story mode, but talking about 5-6 hours doesn't really excite me, I've put in 824 already according to Steam. Doubtless I'll play through it a few times but, yeah I guess I'm a sandbox survival couch potato. Thanks for all the hard work guys, hope this goes the way of FF or Ultima - TLD XII in 2035 anyone? 

9 hours ago, cekivi said:

Spelling mistake on mission requirement: Says old man's bear dressings as opposed to old man's beard dressings.

Maybe they really intended to dress a bear! Joke aside, you're doing great and I can't express the excitement that I felt when I read your progress. I know it's quite hard for you to labor all these stuff as independent developers but it's also hard to stand after reading these content :D

Nice work ! 

I'd like to know one thing too. I was wandering if you are still working on the gameplay on "already existing" items and environnment. Like more uses for existing items like old mans beard (starting fires), for more interracting moves with environnement (make firewood with beds).

Yesterday I died in the moutaineer's hut by cold. I couldn't start a new fire because of a firewood shortage. I thought about one of the two beds in the hut. But, impossible to cut it to make firewodd. Why ? 

That's why I think it could be important, for some players like me, if there are more interacting with already existing environnment. Before to create more items or locations. 

11 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Wet clothes are already in the game actually. Take a dive through some weak ice and you'll have soaking wet gear to deal with! ;)

I'll take your word for it, not going to walk one second over that thin ice... it gives me the creeps!

Anyway, bummer :) I'm really looking forward to see more ways of getting screwed up in the game. Getting soaked on a snow storm could have been one! :D 

12 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Wet clothes are already in the game actually. Take a dive through some weak ice and you'll have soaking wet gear to deal with! ;)

The only weak ice in the game is the map limits.

will their be weak ice in story mode? (Not map limits ice that kills you instantly.)

6 hours ago, Rifleman said:

The only weak ice in the game is the map limits.

will their be weak ice in story mode? (Not map limits ice that kills you instantly.)

I can't speak to this aspect of Story Mode specifically. 

I was just pointing out you can already get your clothes wet. Naturally, many players avoid weak ice all together in the game currently and might not have realized this mechanic was in the Sandbox Mode. 

Are you interested in weak ice that kills you instantly? :coffee:

1 hour ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Are you interested in weak ice that kills you instantly? :coffee:

I think that there could be different situations. For instance, if you fell through some weak ice in a river you would be swept under the ice and it could kill you instantly. If you fell through the ice, say in Mystery Lake, you could have a mechanic similar to that of a wolf struggle where you have to click rapidly or press a series of buttons/keys to pull yourself from the water. Maybe you would have to have a certain item in your inventory to attempt self-rescue (crowbar that could kind of be used as an ice pick?). Your level of tiredness will determine whether or not you can successfully make it out of the water (similar to your ability to fight off a wolf). Once you pull yourself out of the water, you will have a very high starting hypothermia risk, say 75%. You wouldn't have much time to build a fire and take all of your clothes off and if you take too long, it's all over.

TL;DR There could be a mechanic to pull yourself out of a water body with no current and you would have a short amount of time to get warm.

Archived