Story Mode Progress: August Update

Admin

A very timely update on story mode progress! Thanks!!

I wanted to add that I'm glad to see you are working with the animations of the basic interactions especially fire making. This is the moment in survival when everything hangs by a thread as you strike your match. It should be in slow motion and for that brief instant, all other noise should fade away to absolute silence and there is the scritch of the match striking and the sound of the flare as it ignites and then the slow hiss, snapping and crackling sound of the tinder catching until finally that satisfying moment when the flame flickers to life and finally comes to a roaring blaze. These SOUNDS are very important, not only the animations. If we could only have the smell of the sulfur matches or the sweet smell of pine wood or even the rank foul smell of the bears breath as it mauls us. In an immersive game like TLD, these details are important. You are very right that it is a fine emotional chord of notes that is being evoked in the player; that is what should set this game apart from all others.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Below is the link to the first Story Mode Update from back in April.  From the way it is written, it seems that there will be a couple of new areas added for the story mode first, with those areas being added either simultaneously to the Sandbox or a bit later.

http://hinterlandgames.com/community-update-story-mode/

If you scroll down, there is a map right after the portraits of the two characters.  It shows the ones that we have already along with a couple of news ones. Kind of cool.

5 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Welcome to the forums @Mr Concept! ^_^

And yes, the current communications from Hinterlands are that story mode will take part on maps that haven't been released before. Something to keep the game fresh as the episodes progress.

Do you think that those maps will be eventually released on Sandbox?

23 hours ago, togg said:

I'll have to decide how I want to play the new regions first, if on story mode or sandbox mmmm

Keep in mind that perhaps there's always a possibility that we'll have to play the story mode first before unlocking any new maps.

Expanding on that line of thought, perhaps even before unlocking the sandbox mode? Which would make sense, since the story mode will have some sort of tutorial in it.

Archived