1st Person Hands

The Gentleman  Bastard

That depends of what you want to achieve. In my opinion, if the game was only and only a survival game, then yes, no need for a lot 1st person presence.

But the as a poetic, artistic vibe it seems to develop on purpose. It's not just about survival. It's about a story of a human, thus, it's needed to have more presence, more material for this "awe" moments. Just imagine after 30 days of barely surviving, looking at yourself in a mirror, or when you're in plain dark and try to clumsily light a match. All this add to the beauty (imo).

So that depends. Depends how it's realised too.

I cannot say I like the idea. It may make you feel as if you're playing FPS game and that would ruin the whole ambience.

Edit: BTW you don't see your hands within "frame" while you're holding a rifle or a lantern unless you aim or block your sight with lantern.

I think, by the time everything is added and polished, the hands will fit so well into the game we won't really notice them. I'm in agreement with the 'representing a human' aspect of it. I find it more jarring when there isn't any hands in the frame. Maybe it's the fact that the game has such a unique artistic style that the hands only make me feel more of a connection to the character instead of less. Everything they do art wise seems carefully planned. Maybe we should leave it in their 'hands' and have a bit of faith in their direction? It will probably be easier to make a judgement when the hands are complete too, since right now they don't hold the same polish as the rest of the art assets.

....and I'll stop blathering on now before I bore you all to tears.

I'm actually liking the fact that I can't see hands. I'm not sure why, but being able to see hands when the character run/hold stuff feel weird to me. Almost like my eyes are on my chest most of the times, or at least not as high as they are supposed to be. If the hands swing while the character walks, the swinging usually feels robotic because they are always tracing the exact same path. That just takes me out of it.

18 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Personally, I'm fine with either. But I'd give some mad bonus points if we'd see different kinds of gloves in first person ;)

+ 1, although I can already see an artist banging his (or her) head against a wall right now :) 

Just now, Ohbal said:

+ 1, although I can already see an artist banging his (or her) head against a wall right now :) 

Well, if the makers of the original Counter Strike managed to get one decent glove-skin, the professional, acclaimed artists at Hinterland will surely manage to make three. I mean, unlike the original Counter Strike makers they're getting paid already ;) 

34 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Personally, I'm fine with either. But I'd give some mad bonus points if we'd see different kinds of gloves in first person ;)

This idea, I like. If that happens, it would be amazing if the visual reflects the condition. Though, I suspect that would be too much work for just hands.

Just now, BlueJack20 said:

This idea, I like. If that happens, it would be amazing if the visual reflects the condition. Though, I suspect that would be too much work for just hands.

Blood on my hands when injured/after harvesting a fresh carcass? Shivering when cold? Slowed movement under hypothermia? Limp movements when starving? Count me the fluff in. Where do I put the money on a Acer laptop?

hands are needed, i feel.
being the marvelous invisible man was pretty amusing at first. but it just feels... wrong.

however, as BlueJack20 stated, it would feel quite unnatural if our character is constantly holding his hands up right in front of his face all the time. unless, maybe to shield his face from the stinging cold winds of a blizzard (hint hint)
i want hands... but, i want them to have a realistic feel aswell, instead of Will basically holding his rifle directly in front of his face 24/7. because i think he'd have more sense than that xD

I believe hands are essential to feeling connected to the game world, and in a way, human and mortal. 

Im also into seeing those hands reflect conditions like bloody from harvesting meat or maybe even torn from low condition. 

But what would make this game unique is keeping the hands lower than most games do. Always feel like my eyes are on my chest when i play fps and such.

Those hands though would make the post bear struggle animation look tremendous... :) I cant wait

I had exactly the same concerns that you people did, it was so refreshing to discover the aestetic of TLD and play with clean mechanics. But since they're doing it right it will end up being right, it will actually be something good.

7 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

It's something that is very tricky to get right. We're working pretty hard on it. So far, I'm really happy with the results and I think it adds to the already strong sense of presence in the game world.

Is the animation for eating meat very long or will the survivor put the entire steak in his Mouth?

On 8/25/2016 at 4:30 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

It's something that is very tricky to get right. We're working pretty hard on it. So far, I'm really happy with the results and I think it adds to the already strong sense of presence in the game world.

its soo cool that you commented on a post i made! sorry, i usually dont fanboy out like that, but your team's game is just soo masterfully crafted and engaging. Thank you for everything Mr. van Lierop & team!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

When carrying a source of light, the hands are OK.  I really like the new lantern light pattern, it's very realistic.

What I dislike?  I throw the crowbar, rope, lantern, jerry can, spare axe on the ground.  Later on I want to pick up one of those items.  They all pick up the same except for lantern, the game seems to pause for a second and then here comes the hand.  Same if I want to move them all off the floor onto a table or shelf.  They all act the same except for lantern.

Any way to only have the hand interact with lantern when you are bringing it from your pack vs picking it up off the ground?

• 1 month later...

Sounds like hands are here to stay, however, I am in the camp or preferring the game without them. They feel obtrusive, not accurate (gloves, sleeves), and slow the game down when picking up lanterns and activating lights.

I understand the concept that they increase the players personal connection with their avatar, however, I never felt this was lacking in the game. The beauty of TLD, in my opinion, is the minimalistic approach to the gameplay and interface. Not explicitly showing something is often much more compelling than providing every detail. 

When I play first person games, especially driving games, I toggle the view to showing the road only rather than the dash/hood view or even the entire car view. 

Feature Suggestion: In the game settings > display have a tick box to enable/disable first person hands.

Archived