Ten facts about you

Wastelander

There are so many cool things to learn about everyone here. I'm probably going to start associating user names with facts pretty soon! ;)

A few more about me I guess since people have done additional posts:

1. I spent my highschool years as a sea cadet (302 Endurance) and ended up attending a youth summit in the UK as an ambassador for our region. Once I aged out, I returned to the organization as a Civilian Instructor to teach for two years.

2. I spent that summer on a de-commissioned destroyer, since it was our quarters for the visit.

3. On said trip I had the chance to go aboard the HMS Endurance (the antarctic research vessel and our corps namesake ship) before she was de-commissioned. (she was in port at Portsmouth)

4. I was in a snowmobile accident once that fractured my skull, and cracked my sternum.

5. I almost drowned as a child.

6. I was part of the 'geek' crowd when I was in school.

7. I played Christine in a school version of Phantom of the Opera.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) I'm old enough that I started "gaming" on Pong

2) I'm a skydiver as one of my hobbies ( yes my profile pic is me )

3) I love all music from classical to some rap ( love Elvis )

4) I used to do ghost hunting (curiosity mostly)

5) Was married in Disney World

6) I have a daughter that is going both deaf and blind and she is still more adjusted than most kids these days

7) My friends and I are building games to put on Steam

8) I have had a gun pointed at me 3 times ( robbed once )

9) I can rebuild a car's engine but struggle with small engines

10) I like my mother-in-law more than my mother 

2 hours ago, Mikeyd0577 said:

7) My friends and I are building games to put on Steam

That sounds cool, care to elaborate?

Also, all the best to you and your daughter. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it's for you (I'm childless) but I wish you all the best! 

7 hours ago, Wastelander said:

That sounds cool, care to elaborate?

Also, all the best to you and your daughter. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it's for you (I'm childless) but I wish you all the best! 

Unable to until it gets into greenlight.  Will be better than most of the crap being put on there recently though.  It's not a survival game of any kind.  More along the lines of sim city meets goat simulator.  Honing my graphics skills and we will be ready to go.

36 minutes ago, Mikeyd0577 said:

Unable to until it gets into greenlight.  Will be better than most of the crap being put on there recently though.  It's not a survival game of any kind.  More along the lines of sim city meets goat simulator.  Honing my graphics skills and we will be ready to go.

You just stated two games I thoroughly enjoyed. Definitely stoked to see how the combination turns out! To be honest, I can't see any overlap between the two right now, but I can assure you that I'll play it ;) 

Just noticed this, I like it! Here's mine in no particular order:

3: Have alway wanted to live in a rural area

5: haven't started a fire with paper since the age of 5, as a tribute to my grandfather. At the time I was convinced it couldn't be done, he proved otherwise, it made an impression!

9: I love taking old junk that's been long cast off and forgotten, mostly tools and car/truck parts, and occasionally an entire vehicle, and breathing new life into it.

4: I do some welding and fabrication

2: big fan of small bands in the folk/indie folk/indie rock genres

1: not very organised

7: Need glasses but haven't gotten around to getting them yet...

8: Once played Peter Quince in a 5th grade production of A Midsummer Nights Dream

6: Never been on a plane that was in the air

10: I think a cutting torch is the coolest tool on earth

Sam

And mine..

1. I haven't owned a TV for over twenty years. But my main computer has 18TB of storage with a certain amount of entertainment on it. Including TLD.
2. Over the last five years I have gradually arrived at the point where I never drink alcohol any more.
3. I love black coffee.
4. I live on a warm blood horse stud but don't ride.
5. I'm from Australia and spiders are fine. There are only a couple of deadly ones (funnelwebs and redbacks) which are rarely seen. The rest just eat bugs.
6. In summer it has not been unusual to find a snake inside. Once it was a taipan.
7. In my youth I could flash grade 23 rock climbs on lead. (which is still a long way from the hardest)
8. In my middle age I racked up 2500 hours flying hang gliders cross country.
9. I once lost a lot of my memory due to an illness. Most (some?) gradually returned but not the book or two a day I'd been reading for thirty-five years. Still, I can say some of my favorite books are Koestler's "The Sleepwalkers" and "War and Peace".
10. Because of the number of times I have been at a few percent from fading into the long dark from 7, 8 and 9, I am an atheist.

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎10 at 10:46 AM, romerabr said:

I had a car this bad once too...

Oh you could have a Lamborghini, it'll still take that long. Kenora to Toronto is just over 1900 km and then you can head to Ottawa which would add another 400-500 km to your route :winky:

• 2 weeks later...

1 : I am really scared of heights. And crossing the the railbridge in the ravine fills me with panic.

2 : I once had to climb up a tree and wait 11 hours for an angry moose to give up on me.

3 : Moved to a small town north of the treeborder 8 years ago. And now i really miss the trees.

4 : I once caught a salmon with my bare hands when crossing a river.

5 : I dont like fishing, havent been out fishing during the last 20 years. When i was a kid, i felt sorry for the fish. I loved going icefishing with my father but never wanted to get any fish and eventually found a technique not to get the fish to bite. My father never figured out why i never had any luck.

6 : I grew up in a typhical North-Norwegian fishing village with sea food for dinner 5-6 days a week. Needless to say, those people really know their traditional seafood dishes but sucks when it comes to meat.

7 :  I once saved a man who shot himself in an attempt of suicide. He later got married and now have two kids. He lived in an appartment we rented out in our basement. That led me to trouble, as the police searched the house and found my moonshine.

8 : My grandfather worked all his life as an whale and sealhunter. His passion on the other hand was knitting and sewing.

9 : My other grandfather worked as an novelwriter, librarian, shopkeeper, photographer, choreographer, chairman for the local nurseunion and an accountant for the local rightwing party. In his sparetime, he loved dig inn as an genealogical, sing in a choir. and work with his garden where he planted several trees of species that shouldnt be able to grow that far north. (Did i mention i really miss trees).

10 : I use my sparetime to get an old Mini Cooper in shape.

11 minutes ago, Eilif said:

1 : I am really scared of heights. And crossing the the railbridge in the ravine fills me with panic.

2 : I once had to climb up a tree and wait 11 hours for an angry moose to give up on me.

3 : Moved to a small town north of the treeborder 8 years ago. And now i really miss the trees.

4 : I once caught a salmon with my bare hands when crossing a river.

5 : I dont like fishing, havent been out fishing during the last 20 years. When i was a kid, i felt sorry for the fish. I loved going icefishing with my father but never wanted to get any fish and eventually found a technique not to get the fish to bite. My father never figured out why i never had any luck.

6 : I grew up in a typhical North-Norwegian fishing village with sea food for dinner 5-6 days a week. Needless to say, those people really know their traditional seafood dishes but sucks when it comes to meat.

7 :  I once saved a man who shot himself in an attempt of suicide. He later got married and now have two kids. He lived in an appartment we rented out in our basement. That led me to trouble, as the police searched the house and found my moonshine.

8 : My grandfather worked all his life as an whale and sealhunter. His passion on the other hand was knitting and sewing.

9 : My other grandfather worked as an novelwriter, librarian, shopkeeper, photographer, choreographer, chairman for the local nurseunion and an accountant for the local rightwing party. In his sparetime, he loved dig inn as an genealogical, sing in a choir. and work with his garden where he planted several trees of species that shouldnt be able to grow that far north. (Did i mention i really miss trees).

10 : I use my sparetime to get an old Mini Cooper in shape.

Welcome to  TLD forum !!! :D

Welcome to the forums @Eilif! I'm afraid of heights as well, so I guess it's kind of a common thing :D 

And just because I feel like it, here's ten more o' mine:

• I love pickled cucumbers. Other pickles, eh, not so much.
  • My laziness makes me cleanlier, since I wash dishes before they pile up and annoy me.
  • I'm not a picky eater, but there is only one brand of remoulade I can swallow.
  • I am banned from about a dozen Minecraft servers
  • I'm so lazy that sometimes I just don't finish sen
  • I can't sing, yet I've been active in three bands over the last ten years. Needless to say, none of them ever picked up.
  • I was once picked up from school by the police because of rumors that I planned a school shooting. Days later, the policemen involved stated that such rumors were "utter bullshit". I have yet to find out who spread these rumors, but frankly, I don't care anymore.
  • I am physically unable to burp. Seriously. It's a much bigger deal than it sounds, actually.
  • I am currently writing my bachelor's thesis on Medieval Urbanization. It's a fun topic if you're into Medieval Urbanization.
  • Recently, I was almost killed by a shack.

5 hours ago, mystifeid said:

A shack??? Wtf?

And what the heck is Lupinem? Looks like flowers or a drug for UTI's.

Oh wait, I get it. Wolves.

:D The whole signature is play on Cato's famous line of "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam", which translates to "I also believe that Carthage must be destroyed", with which he ended every single one of his speeches, including those about the yield of cabbage harvests (I wish I was joking here).

As for the shack, I was tearing it down with a friend, and, well, we might have been bit too eager and the whole thing began to collapse. I did make a movie-worthy escape though! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, here goes.

1 About 10 years ago I build digital ships for a game called Pirates of the Burning Sea, it's still around.

2 I went though US Army Airborne school and have about 10 jumps to my credit, but don't let anyone tell you it's crazy to jump from a perfectly good military aircraft (the US Army doesn't have any perfectly good aircraft)

3 I am a crime analyst for the local Sheriff's Office, best job ever.  

4 Pistols are only for moral boosting, they make you feel but I don't expect to be able to hit anything with one.

5 I like my coffee like a like my women, dark and sweet ( so why don't we have sugar in game...jeez)

6 My most played game is probably Arma 3, I run a small MilSim group called RFA

7 I sometimes yearn for a (insert disaster here) so I can test out all my skills from various games I have played.

8 I like all kinds of music but Jason Mraz is my current favorite, or is that James Blount, or Lindsey Sterling... you decide for me.

9 I can't speel in engrish woth a damn, too bad its my native tongue

10 Over 50 under 60

53 minutes ago, Mesha said:

I hit some kind of key combo that posted the message, did I mention I am bad at typing.....

No worries, this thread is for fun, so if you find me cracking a joke occasionally it's not intended to be any form of criticism or insult ;) Go on, happy to have you here!

Archived