Mods

swissheart

Is it just me or are the wishes out there becoming more and more ridiculous? I guess people are running out of things to ask for. Anyway. I have been waiting years for the developers to put at least one of the things I have been wanting to have in the game. I don't think that will happen so at this point I just want to have Mod Support already. I love mods..

44 minutes ago, swissheart said:

Is it just me or are the wishes out there becoming more and more ridiculous? I guess people are running out of things to ask for. Anyway. I have been waiting years for the developers to put at least one of the things I have been wanting to have in the game. I don't think that will happen so at this point I just want to have Mod Support already. I love mods..

I'm inclined to disagree - at least to me, it feels more like we're pitching ideas at each other, boil them down and watch if the devs drink the resulting extraction. Sure, some things are ridiculous, but they're nonetheless worth talking about.

As for mod support, it's on the roadmap.

And remember, the game isn't design by committee. The community provides feedback but it's still Hinterland's vision. That's not to say that the forums have no influence over the design process though. I remember @Raphael van Lierop mentioning that items on the studio's internal roadmap that are really popular on the forums may (again, may) get moved forward on the development schedule.

8 hours ago, cekivi said:

That's not to say that the forums have no influence over the design process though.

This is true, try checking out the Alpha Wish List forums from the last page on, I was suprised to see how many features in the current game started or were mentioned there. 

8 hours ago, Rifleman said:

When mod support come out I'm changing the food lifespan to 999999999999Days.

For what? There is a trainer that can do this already.

I know there will be mod support down the road but I wish it was sooner.  There is another early access game that I like and I only like it because of the mods, otherwise it is so bare. I think mods would have answered a lot of people's wishes by now and we wouldn't have to be at the mercy of the developers. 

1 hour ago, swissheart said:

For what? There is a trainer that can do this already.

I know there will be mod support down the road but I wish it was sooner.  There is another early access game that I like and I only like it because of the mods, otherwise it is so bare. I think mods would have answered a lot of people's wishes by now and we wouldn't have to be at the mercy of the developers. 

Not every one can mod without mod support.

11 hours ago, Rifleman said:

When mod support come out I'm changing the food lifespan to 999999999999Days.

Well, it may be a bit 2 much, but yeah, one of the things on my list is also to change current completely ridonculous food decay rates. MRE have official shelf life of 5 years, realistically its 15+ . Frozen meat can last literally indefinitely - it may not look as good or be as nutritious, but it will be edible and it will sustain hunger quite well. Various candies also have fairly long lifespan. etc

Technically game is moddable already, since there are unity packers available, but making a mod from a scratch for every new released game version... pfff.

@Dirmagnos yeah there used to be a few mods earlier but the modders stopped updating them because the developers didn't want them to make them. there really are not that many updates though. there are only 3-4 per year if you don't count the numerous hotfixes after each one. It will be pretty cool to have a mod that would make food decay more realistic without it feeling like cheating.. or an update of course :)

1 hour ago, Dirmagnos said:

Well, it may be a bit 2 much, but yeah, one of the things on my list is also to change current completely ridonculous food decay rates. MRE have official shelf life of 5 years, realistically its 15+ . Frozen meat can last literally indefinitely - it may not look as good or be as nutritious, but it will be edible and it will sustain hunger quite well. Various candies also have fairly long lifespan. etc

Technically game is moddable already, since there are unity packers available, but making a mod from a scratch for every new released game version... pfff.

The lifespan for food in the long dark is shorter then the McDonald's burgers. :(

35 minutes ago, nicko said:

its a game, if food never decayed well why would you look or hunt for more food? or is that what you want just sit around and not worrry about finding good food?

Having to deal with the McDonald food lifespan for 2 years. I think I should treat myself to infinite lifespan of food.

18 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Yes, but remember that this type of modding is neither supported by Hinterlands nor allowed on the forums.

18 hours ago, nicko said:

its a game, if food never decayed well why would you look or hunt for more food? or is that what you want just sit around and not worrry about finding good food?

you are only saying this because for now there isn't much more you can do in the game

Nobody is saying that food should never decay. But i would prefer it do so in a semi-realistic fashion. And pls spare be that "its just a game" bs, its not even an argument.

I dont wannt to constantly worry about my meat decaying in span of a few days. For no good reason. Constantly juggling raw and cooked, new and old, in attempt to outrun rate of food poisoning or parasites. Its annoying and unnecessary, not to mention unrealistic.

Game is supposed to be about survival, that kinda implies careful resource management. Instead we got a pedestrian type of survival, where if looks more like shopping rather than hunting or foraging or fishing. Every few days you make an easy trip to your shop of choice to stock up on yogurt. Because thats how it feels with trapping and fishing(its effortless, fast, moderate amount and it spoils fast). And hunting has become(and continue on that path) far less viable source of food.

My supernatural perception makes me sense some negative vibes in this thread, so let's all focus our positive energies of friendship and keep it civil and on topic before things escalate ;) 

Since mod support is pretty much confirmed, what kind of mods would y'all like to see? Here's my pick:

• Customizable music. Frequency, maybe even specific tracks, maybe even custom tracks loaded from MP3. The game's music is really really cool, but on some days I just have to maim some wolves to this song.
  • More blood: I'm just a sucker for gore, call me crazy all you like.
  • Customizable wildlife frequency: Self-explanatory.
  • Homer Simpson voice mod. Because D'OH!
  • Moar skills. When I have seen and done everything in the sandbox, I want to Jiu-Jitsu a wolf.
  • Custom maps!
  • Something similar to the Spice of Life minecraft mod where you actually have to manage food diversity
  • A mod that requires you to find a pen to write into the journal.
  • A hair growth mod. Stranded 2 Extention Mod did this quite well, considering the awful game it's based on.
  • A foul mouthed PC-mod. Because I finally want to play a character who swears more than me, which is quite a feat actually (Seriously, y'all don't know how much I self-censor here)
  • A WH40K total conversion where you play a lone Imperial Guardsman/woman on an icy planet during a warp storm. Substitute wolves for cultists and bears for deamons/chaos space marines. Silly, I know, but I need this in my life

I emanate perpetual aura of dread, get used to it. Unicorns in proximity turn into goats and rainbows into rain of frogs.

Food, more and of different varieties, with different pros and cons. Also more realistic spoilage rates and storage that makes sense. Preservation methods and extended cooking system.

Practical furniture making and management. Make a crate from wood and more furniture around.

More more more more stuff. I hate it that in this type of game, on high difficulty i go thru countless containers and find absolutely nothing. Its stupid and off-putting. Mostly junk, but at least i find something and then can make something out of it.

Hunting and actual survival elements. Hunting become harder, require some skill, deadlier predators, but each successful hunting trip would yield considerable amount of resources(it would counterbalance ease of fishing and trapping). More diverse weather with random long-terms ups(like several consecutive days of good clear sunny weather) and downs(same but with blizzards or snowstorms). Housing management, where houses can take actual damage from snowstorms and require maintenance.

Medical conditions. Condition management, revamped medical conditions with adjusted durations and multiple solutions.

And of course sliders and checkboxes for everything.

1 minute ago, Dirmagnos said:

I emanate perpetual aura of dread, get used to it. Unicorns in proximity turn into goats and rainbows into rain of frogs.

Nice to meet you, Baphomet, corrupt any Templars lately? ;)

+1 to the rest of your post, you mentioned a lot of things I'd like to see myself. Thing is, some of those things such as jink items, more diverse weather, more medical conditions and others shouldn't necesarrily be mods but actual game content, but we'll see what happens after Alpha-stage.

Ohh, for the love of God(yes, God "Almighty" or whatever and yes, im not afraid to refer to him). Firstly i had nothing to do with Templars, nothing at all, how many times i have to tell you people that. And secondly, because i know youre thinking it, NO, im not Lucifer, i dont know any1 by that name and i in general dislike those christian snobs... bunch of douches. Altho i must admit trick with wine was interesting and could open up a lot of business opportunities.

Also, while it may become an actual game content, in this case it would be left at the mercy of the devs, depending on their views. While if its thought of as mods, then its up to community to make it so. While first outcome would be of better quality, then second is simply more realistic.

15 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

More more more more stuff.

This is exactly what I want. Just more stuff. I don't care what it is. I don't care if it is useful. I am just tired of always finding the same things. The last few updates barely added any new items to the game and that was always a huge disappointment for me.

Id like the following

-Custom maps

-Different types of back packs (IE you can pack a hunting pack and leave it by the front door)

-Animal AI behavior (Wolf packs that roam aggressively - this would be exciting it think)

-More detailed hunting (animals can scent you downwind, carrying the carcass, meat preservation etc)

• 1 month later...

A lot has been said here, and some of what I'm about to say may be a rehash. But...

Modding can only improve the game. I play and am part of the Kerbal Space Program community, and KSP has a TON of mods, all of which improve and change game play to match the player's style and preferences. It has also led to things being implemented into the game which the devs, originally one guy, didn't think were feasible. For instance, they originally thought that multiplayer was an unrealistic pipe dream, but a collection of modders worked at designing a solution, and now, multiplayer is a planned future feature. They just recently added radio and signal mechanics, and, at first, they weren't going to add female Kerbals, now, Valentina, is one of their most popular Kerbals.

Another game with lots of modding options is Stellaris, and quite frankly, the replayability factor of that game would be significantly lower without them.

A strong modding community will only help Hinterland and The Long Dark, it'll add limitless features that devs couldn't possibly offer on their own, and will insure strong playability and replayability, and will only help sales. It certainly did for KSP.

Speech over. *gets off soap box*

Archived