CHEM LIGHT ?! (GLOW STICK!)

alone sniper

Ha, I know those things. Unless you invest some good money, you won't get much light out of them...

...which is precisely why I think this is a good idea, actually. A low-weight, low-funtionality, dispensable light source that gives off a creepy light and leaves all but contours to the imagination. Very athmospheric.

Fun fact: In the dark (obviously) you can also attach them to most fishing rods to see when a fish bites. Maybe a small fishing skill increase in the night?

1 hour ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Where would you place this item on a "spectrum of usefulness" compared to the light sources currently in the game? :)

I think it would be a good addition to the game !! They re bright long enough to let us scout entirely the biggest cave in the game but the lradius would be pretty limited .. But still a good addition !! And for you question Pat , I think they would be less important than anything else cause they would only serve 1 purpose ... I found the matches and torches pretty valuable !!

2 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Where would you place this item on a "spectrum of usefulness" compared to the light sources currently in the game? :)

Personally, I'd place them between torches and lanterns. Good quality (i.e. not dollar store) glow lights are quite bright (about as much as a flare in game especially if they're white light) and last an entire night (8 hours in game maybe?). The trade offs would be that they're one use only, not craftable, rare, and useless for warding off animals.

Chemlights have been brought up before, but as I understand it most don't function very well in cold temperatures. Giving off no or very little light.

Personally, I would think they are a good addition to the game. I would think that chemlights found in a very cold environment are of the kind that do work in the cold, so I would say they should give off about the same amount of light as a torch. It would be cool if we would find chemlights of different colors.

The light intensity is high just after activation, then exponentially decays. Leveling of this initial high output is possible by refrigerating the glow stick before activation.[12]

Sauce here - In case I didn't misread any of that, the cold makes them work longer, with more consistent light level. Also, considering the fact that they're also used in recreational diving, they don't seem to be affected that much by outside influences.

I'd also probably tie a few of those (depending on how rare they are) on arrows, so I can find them in the night, or use them as breadcrumbs in the mines to save lantern fuel.

1 hour ago, Wastelander said:

Sauce here - In case I didn't misread any of that, the cold makes them work longer, with more consistent light level. Also, considering the fact that they're also used in recreational diving, they don't seem to be affected that much by outside influences.

I'd also probably tie a few of those (depending on how rare they are) on arrows, so I can find them in the night, or use them as breadcrumbs in the mines to save lantern fuel.

https://glowproducts.com/us/glowsticks

according to link :

by putting them in freezer you will  " pausing " glow reaction !!!!!!!!!!

From a chemistry perspective you're reducing the rate of the reaction by lowering the temperature. So lower light intensity (less chemical reacting at a particular time to make light) but longer duration (for the same reason) makes a lot of sense.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2016 at 1:32 AM, cekivi said:

From a chemistry perspective you're reducing the rate of the reaction by lowering the temperature. So lower light intensity (less chemical reacting at a particular time to make light) but longer duration (for the same reason) makes a lot of sense.

So when you want to conserve it you put it in the snow !!!! :D 
and when you need light you put it in your pocket !!! :D

• 9 months later...

I'm glad this has been suggested....

Light weight, long-lasting, works in any weather. Not very bright, but you can use one to illuminate those long nights of sewing, repairing, hacksawing, chopping, researching, etc. —without wasting firewood or lantern fuel. You could leave them on the ground as a trail marker. I suppose you could write your name in the dark if you got bored.

tumblr_m1ue2sfBcd1r5wi9uo1_500.gif

I like the idea.  Its realistic that glow sticks might be available in some places where flares wouldn't be suitable emergency lighting (i've seen glowsticks on trains for example), and they could fill a useful niche, throwing enough light to loot a building or show the ground in front of you when walking, but not scaring off wolves or showing the immediate area... plus if you had enough of them and assuming they were illumined for a realistic length of time (say 8-12hrs) you could use them to mark out a trail at night in an emergency situation, where flares would burn out way too quick... that would look awesome.

On 8/18/2016 at 4:33 AM, Patrick Carlson said:

The good thing about these is that they cannot be extinguished by the wind and are probably very light.

The bad things would be that they are a one-use item that doesn't give off any warmth at all and would probably not be useful at all for scaring wildlife. 

If I was a game-planning decision maker,  my biggest condition for adding these to TLD is this: does everybody have these in their homes in Canada? ;)

23 minutes ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

The good thing about these is that they cannot be extinguished by the wind and are probably very light.

The bad things would be that they are a one-use item that doesn't give off any warmth at all and would probably not be useful at all for scaring wildlife. 

If I was a game-planning decision maker,  my biggest condition for adding these to TLD is this: does everybody have these in their homes in Canada? ;)

Regularly no, but I do like using them for camping. They're light, bright, and are not going to light your tent on fire ;)

They're also really easy to find. You can even buy them at dollar stores. 

40 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Regularly no, but I do like using them for camping. They're light, bright, and are not going to light your tent on fire ;)

They're also really easy to find. You can even buy them at dollar stores. 

Pretty cool :) But another thing not so great about them (for camping, not games) is that after use they become dead weight that you have to carry with you until you find a waste bin. 

I don't know how it is there, but in Japan, there is a "bring everything you brought with you out" policy because there are no garbage cans.  It's not so bad though (for me) because it's just power bar & beef jerky wrappers and empty water bottles ;)

Archived