Alternative Emergency Shelters

Ape88

When I was in elementary school, part of our 6th grade camping trip involved a survival class, in which we split into groups and made emergency shelters with what we could find around us. We didn't have anything other than the brush on the ground and rudimentary tools and we were able to make what would have been a very well insulated shelter with just branches, pine needle debris, and even dirt. Add snow to the equation (the campout took place in the California Sierra Nevada range toward the end of the school year so late spring, early summer) and the survival instructor says that ours was the best in the group and would likely hold up to the elements quite well.

I don't think we should need fabric to make an emergency shelter, especially when the game is to the point of having other seasons. There should be better options.

A quick lean to can be done by one person in like 30 min and although not a suitable long term shelter, can make all the difference if one is forced to stay outside in the wind for some reason. Could easily be the difference between life or death if you could make something of a windbreak in the middle of a blizzard, allowing you to light a fire and keep warm enough to survive.

Creating a snow shelter without the cloth and sticks is certainly possible, but would take much longer than 45 minutes. More like 2 hours. Instead of digging a trench, covering it with the sticks and cloth (to keep the snow from falling back in) and then pile the snow back on is a simple and quick way to create a snow shelter, but it does require the resources. I think the main reason for the resources is simply for gameplay reasons though.

• 4 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 5:06 PM, Ruruwawa said:

How many people and how many hours to construct your shelter?  Maybe the cloth is the reason it's only 1C colder than most of the cabins in TLD, but takes one person only 45 minutes to build.

If I recall it took us about 45 min and we had three kids that didn't know jack and were pulling ideas from their rear ends.. However, with adequate planning, I think this could be even better than a snow shelter as is already in game. I don't think the cloth really has anything to do except to serve as something to keep the snow from falling into the little lean-to.

Archived