Sandbox Roadmap v.1.2

Admin

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, elloco999 said:

And yes, pleas give us a way to remove unusable objects from the game, like brands and used up sewing kits

I know this isn't the place, but as a quick reminder: a few ruined/used up objects, such as sewing kits, just disappear when we put them into any container.

13 hours ago, cekivi said:

@Ohbal: If nightmare did become a mode in the game how would you see it as being different from stalker?

Not sure if I follow, since what I was trying to say is precisely that having a "Stalker" and a "Nightmare" mode would feel redundant.

Stalker's description is pretty hardcore, so I'd assume that's the mode where all the "nightmare" ideas should fall into. It's also very true that right now, Stalker's description does not reflect the reality of the mode: stalker is pretty much survivable. Hence me saying: boost Stalker rather than creating another "super hard" mode which is ultimately directed to a small fraction of the player base. A "Custom Difficulty" would be directed to everybody: from the pilgrim lovers to the ultimate survivors.   

@cekivi I could see a stalker mode with calorie usage upped to match voyageur or pilgrim mode. That could be one idea to up the difficulty of stalker. It has puzzled me that calorie usage is higher on Voyageur and higher still on Pilgrim. Stalker is very survivable with careful route planning. The most trouble I find myself in is when I come around a corner and a wolf is there unknown to me already there. Another way to make Stalker more dangerous would be to take a look at the way all players who have long Stalker runs, myself included, handle hunger. To conserve food, we simply don't eat during the day. We are happy to take the 1% loss per hour to condition. That means that when we eat at night before sleeping we are still at 85% or so and then we sleep well fed so that we heal that up at night. Hinterland could address that in some way. One way could be that after two days of doing that (figured into game mechanics somehow,) you can't heal the normal amount at night, maybe only at half the rate or less. Another could be a ceiling on the percentage of health your character can attain, which reduces daily while handling hunger in that manner. A ceiling which reduces daily, perhaps until a condition is met similar to hypothermia such as character must keep hunger bar above the red for x number of hours. 48 hours comes to mind. Anyway, just wanted to throw this out there. I love the game, and can't wait to see what's next!

I'm excited for anything at this point. I've been waiting long enough to know that every time a new update on the roadmap pops up... I instantly glow with exciement and more ideas on how things will actually work out. :love: 

But that's just me. Thank you Hinterland crew for all your hard work, big fan over here in Colorado!! :coffee:

On 23/8/2016 at 4:39 PM, Sp4rrowh4wk said:

I've heard talk on the forums of a realistic difficulty, I asked too lol. Would love to see something with enhanced weather and decreased wildlife, if this is what it is!

Absolutely spot on. I think a review on the wildlife numbers and respawn mechanics could introduce a huge change in how we play the game, forcing us to move once we have depleted the resources of one area. Imagine if respawn rates were drastically reduced, like 15 days for a wolf, 30 for a deer and 60 for a Bear... within two or three weeks, the suroundings of our "camp" would be deserted... forcing the player to take more and more decissions.

The more decissions we have to take in this game, the better it gets :) 

Oh, and I would absolutely love to see a different and harsher weather as well (longer storms, colder temperatures). But in order to make it somewhat fair for the player, I think the mechanic of the almanac, implemented for the whiteout challenge, would need to make it into the game. 

30 minutes ago, Ohbal said:

Absolutely spot on. I think a review on the wildlife numbers and respawn mechanics could introduce a huge change in how we play the game, forcing us to move once we have depleted the resources of one area. Imagine if respawn rates were drastically reduced, like 15 days for a wolf, 30 for a deer and 60 for a Bear... within two or three weeks, the suroundings of our "camp" would be deserted... forcing the player to take more and more decissions.

The more decissions we have to take in this game, the better it gets :) 

I would love it if there were a mechanic to make you have to move around - maybe even a longer respawn time - really force you to maintain and live in a few different bases spread across different maps.  Of course, I guess if they didn't change fishing, you could just do that until the animals respawn.

2 minutes ago, Thurman Merman said:

I would love it if there were a mechanic to make you have to move around - maybe even a longer respawn time - really force you to maintain and live in a few different bases spread across different maps.  Of course, I guess if they didn't change fishing, you could just do that until the animals respawn.

We can fix the fishing part by actually needing bait. Hunting or gathering becomes important to be able to fish. 

2 hours ago, CarolinaSantAngelo said:

We can fix the fishing part by actually needing bait. Hunting or gathering becomes important to be able to fish. 

You can be successful fishing without bait though. You just need to be able to craft lures or get really lucky.

2 hours ago, cekivi said:

You can be successful fishing without bait though. You just need to be able to craft lures or get really lucky.

After I put the message I thought about lures but didn't comment on it. It's true we could craft it or maybe find one. I refuse to believe there isn't even one fishing set in camp office :P

Getting a fish without bait or lure can definitely happen haha(I love fishing so it has happened to me), although definitely not like in the TLD XD.

Does Coastline & “Beachcombing” Gameplay mean that the beaches will generate items form time to time like: crates, frozen people, tools etc... If so I would like to suggest a trade off mechanic: You can take items from the beach but there is a chance that you will fall through a thin ice and get wet :)  that would be awesome mechanic. You can get more stuff but you risk your health to do it.

2 hours ago, vancopower said:

Does Coastline & “Beachcombing” Gameplay mean that the beaches will generate items form time to time like: crates, frozen people, tools etc... If so I would like to suggest a trade off mechanic: You can take items from the beach but there is a chance that you will fall through a thin ice and get wet :)  that would be awesome mechanic. You can get more stuff but you risk your health to do it.

Would that be along all beaches or just along the edge of the ice? I'd be OK with risking wet feet to rescue some supplies from the surf and knowing that I may fall through if I go to the edge of the ice. It'd be a little silly though if you're on the coastline and still have a full body immersion risk.

• 2 weeks later...

The roadmap had mentioned late August/early September for the next update to sandbox.  Is there going to be a test server before that update comes out?  Or will there just be a patch that drops?  We're in the latter part of that ETA and I'm getting excited. :)

On 8/26/2016 at 7:09 PM, vancopower said:

When I first read this, I read "trade mechanic" -- probably because that's what I'm hoping for eventually. :)  Find something you can't personally use (a machine part, a carton of cigarettes) but you can trade to an NPC for 10 bullets (or whatever else you need).

3 minutes ago, Elsayal said:

So the test_branch is now available on steam. =)

Great job, and in due time ! !

Thanks for giving us a so immersive game and for working the week-end to finish the stuff.

Hinterland rox !

Yes it is live now, instructions here: http://hinterlandforums.com/index.php?/announcement/12-the-long-dark-sandbox-september-test-branch-opt-in-forum-password-spoilers/

If you choose to take part, good luck!

Archived