Sandbox Roadmap v.1.2

Admin

Hello everyone,

We've just updated our Sandbox Roadmap! You can check out the changes, as well as a teaser image, at our official Roadmap page here: http://hinterlandgames.com/the-long-dark/roadmap/

Please remember that this is an aspirational list, meant to give you an idea of some of the things we are working on, and some of the things we hope to work on. It's possible that some of the things on the list may not end up in the game. 

Also, please note that over 2/3 of the development team is working exclusively on Story Mode content and features, which has an impact on Sandbox update scope and frequency. 

Thank you for your understanding! 

Feel free to post comments and questions in this thread. 

--Hinterland Team 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Pilgrim, Voyageur and Stalker are the current experience modes.  So maybe a fourth, new one?

I really really hope it is. 

My thoughts on the roadmap

• New Experience Mode: IF IT IS A NEW DIFFICULTY PLEASE YES. 
  • The Hunted, Part 2: Great, I will have it for when I finish the first one because i'm still dying lol. 
  • Coastline & “Beachcombing” Gameplay: This is absolutely great. Also, I don't know about all of you but I'm going to make a new gameplay just to throw myself into that open water and check things out lol. 
  • Archery Skill: Great
  • First-Person Presence: Light Sources: Saw a picture, A++++++ on this
  • Decoy Exploit Fix: I haven't used it but I have heard about it, so great thing. 
  • Steam Trading Cards: No comment
  • UI improvements: Waiting to see what we get :P
  • Specific world art improvements: Don't know what it will be, but anything to make this great game even greater I'm in. 
  • Modifications to persistent Feats: good, there are some that should be changed. 

The "specific world art improvements" were (partly, at least) shown in the last teaser trailer, weren't they? And... decoy exploit fix? Whazzat?

Even if this update consisted only of UI improvements, I'd already be more than happy.

The new coastline looks awesome.

Grand!  Most looking forward to new experience mode (in hopes it has more lasting difficulty / adjustable).  

I'd only vote for 'story mode' to take the back-seat to sandbox, in terms of time/energy of dev team.  Intermittent installments of 2-3 hours of story mode gameplay adding up to around 10 hours doesn't compare with the what the sandbox is, or is becoming.

6 minutes ago, Diamondz said:

Hey Patrick, when is the test branch going to be online?

We don't have a set day to announce for the Test Branch. We're working on the update now and we'll want to make sure it's in the right state to properly take advantage of what the Test Branch period can do for the game. :) When's it ready to go live, I promise we won't keep it to ourselves. 

3 hours ago, nicko said:

the new coastline line looks awesome, is that a surf wave line I see and is it animated?

Break out the surf boards.

Oh man, waves at the edge of the ice would be amazing. I'd probably spend some time staring at the ocean, contemplating my isolation...

...and then mashing it up up with Apocalypse Now:

KILGORE
"That village your pointing at is kinda hairy, Willard."

WILLARD
"What do you mean hairy, sir?"

KILGORE
"It's hairy. Got some pretty heavy wolf packs there. I lost a few survivors there now and again.
Is that goddamn village Bark Yap Howl or Yowl? Damn wolf names all sound the same.
Mike, do you know anything about that point at Bark Yap Howl?"

MIKE
"That's a fantastic peak. "

KILGORE
"Peak?"

MIKE
"About six feet. It got both the long right with left slide.
It's unbelievable, it's just Tube City..."

KILGORE
"Well why the hell didn't you tell me that before ?  There aren't any
good peaks in this whole frozen country. It's all goddamn beach break."

MIKE
"It's really hairy in there, sir. That's where we lost McDonnel
- they bit the hell out of us. That's Fluffy's point."

WILLARD
"Sir, we can go there tomorrow at dawn. There's always
a good off-shore breeze in the morning."

KILGORE
"Hell, a six foot peak. You take a walk back to camp  -- Mike, take Lance with you -- let
him pick out a board, and bring me my Yater Spoon -- the eight six."

MIKE
"I don't know, sir -- it's -- it's --"

KILGORE
"What is it survivor?

MIKE
"It's pretty hairy in there - it's Fluffy's point..."

KILGORE
"Fluffy don't surf!"

2 hours ago, nicko said:

@Patrick Carlson is the team working on making outdoor fires better? ie building on top of a burnt out fire kind of sucks atm, specially if you do it multi times.

Also brands? will they disappear when dropped after x amount of time or something similar or can we place them back into a fire at least?

Yeah, building multiple fires in the same location (as to not litter the area around my base with burned out fires) doesn't work really well. After 10 or so fires it gets really difficult to select the burning fire after lighting it. At the very least I would like to see the burning fire to be 'on top' so it is the one my cursor 'finds' first.

Better would be if burned out fires could be removed or disappeared after a while. They would get snowed under wouldn't they?

A really nice addition would be to be able to create a fireplace that could be ignited again and again without building up a pile of burned out fires, much like a stove works. It would still consume the same amount of fuel of course.

And yes, pleas give us a way to remove unusable objects from the game, like brands and used up sewing kits. Maybe add some trashcans or something... At the very least, if a brand burns out inside a building, please let me take it outside!

+1

Brands should dissappear after 24-48 hours. Since they were implemented, a few months back, I've seen tons of people sharing their concerns about them but I have yet to see the official view of the team. Is it intended that they remain in the world? 

Burned out fires should remain for longer, or at least until a storm is triggered. I'd implement an option to dismantle the burned out fires to fix the issue of having the basecamp swamped by them. I also think they should be re-usable as @elloco999 just said (same fuel needs)

On the firemaking topic, there is an item in the roapmap that covers at least part of it:

NEAR TERM (1-6 Month Window)

• Improved firemaking (blowing mechanic; first-person presence)

I'd love to see more options besides blowing mechanics. Creating stone circles or small holes to protect the fire from the heavy winds, for example. 

On the roadmap topic, next update looks good! Some quick thoughts:

• New Experience Mode: I hope this gets more in line with "customized sandbox" rather than "nightmare" mode. We already have Stalker for that, if it needs to get tuned harder, do so!
  • The Hunted, Part 2: Looking forward to end that damn bear! (had a blast with part one)
  • Archery Skill: Awesome
  • Decoy Exploit Fix: It was even sillier than the torch one, so good job!
  • Modifications to persistent Feats: Ability to turn them off maybe? :D 

7 hours ago, nicko said:

@Patrick Carlson is the team working on making outdoor fires better? ie building on top of a burnt out fire kind of sucks atm, specially if you do it multi times.

Also brands? will they disappear when dropped after x amount of time or something similar or can we place them back into a fire at least?

Thanks for your question. There isn't any news to release at this time, but I can say both are topics we have been looking into. :coffee:

Archived