Heatpacks?

Reahs

On 8/14/2016 at 9:30 PM, cekivi said:

And, while heat packs have been brought up before, it doesn't hurt to bring it up again when it's been a while since something was last discussed.

Welcome, @Reahs.

I'm a living example of what @cekivi said. I'm a newbie here (so I wouldn't have read that thread) and I live in Brazil (so I've never heard about heatpacks before and there's no way I could have thought of that).

Chemical heatpacks, huh? Makes sense for me, and adds a nice complement to the flare and the stimpack -- which are emergency one-use items as well.

I went shopping for fishing supplies with my dad today (not that we needed it, but hey, that pocket money's gotta go somewhere) and I saw a pocket warmer fueled with little coal sticks. I was pretty amazed by this since I usually try to keep a healthy distance between my hands and red-hot solid fuels, but it seems to work.

4 hours ago, elloco999 said:

Instead of chemical one-time heat packs, I'd prefer a  sodium acetate reusable heat pack that you can boil and use again. But that might be OP.

One-time heat packs are a great second choice though!

Oh man, I have some of those. They're amazing. 

16 hours ago, Wastelander said:

I went shopping for fishing supplies with my dad today (not that we needed it, but hey, that pocket money's gotta go somewhere) and I saw a pocket warmer fueled with little coal sticks. I was pretty amazed by this since I usually try to keep a healthy distance between my hands and red-hot solid fuels, but it seems to work.

Yeah, I've seen those kind of handwarmers. I've never tried one myself but I know people who have and they love them.

Of course, your hands don't come into direct contact with the burning coal itself. And I believe you're not supposed to touch the metal casing either once the coal is lit, but put it in a protective sleeve made of cotton or something. They can get pretty hot though. The big advantage of this type of handwarmer is that you can refill them on the go. As long as you have coals sticks that is.

15 hours ago, danicusrex said:

Oh man, I have some of those. They're amazing. 

Yes they are :) I used to have one myself, but after years it started to leak so I threw it away. Never did buy a new one as I don't get in situations where I would want one anymore.

7 hours ago, elloco999 said:

Yes they are :) I used to have one myself, but after years it started to leak so I threw it away. Never did buy a new one as I don't get in situations where I would want one anymore.

I've only got one left (for similar reasons, too). But I'm glad I have it when I'm shoveling my car out.

Archived