Community reputation

Rifleman

Add a option to give members -1 

however you shouldn't give members bad reputation if you disagree with the topic, you should only give them a bad reputation if there are rule breaking 

this will help us find out who is helpful and who is a troublemaker 

On 7/28/2016 at 4:40 AM, Rifleman said:

however you shouldn't give members bad reputation if you disagree with the topic, you should only give them a bad reputation if there are rule breaking 

nah. People would abuse it.

Yes, its not really fair to be able to just give positive reputation. Its like saying "if you disagree, then just shut up and go away". Reminds me of perverted concept of safe spaces that is marching thru US.

If there is ability to give "+", then there should be option to give "-" as well.

I've seen this feature implemented on other forums and it works quite well actually. The key is that each member only has an allotted number of rep they can apply (both positive and negative) each day. Unused points did not carry over, your count was simply reset. 

Edit: I should add that this forum did not simply display an absolute number, rather a display of pips indicating the level. Single grey for neutral, 1-3 green for somewhat positive, 3+ green for very or overwhelmingly positive, and red (again could be anywhere from 1 to 10 ) for negative. 

Concur with Sir Ice, it'll be abused.

If you must have an environment where down votes are authorized regarding TLD conversations try the Reddit TLD sub. Generally it's a great place to talk about TLD (not as cool as here but still) but yes you will see examples in the sub of down votes being used when they're not really appropriate.

The current system works just right, if someone agrees with me or want to support my idea, he/she can simply leave a '+' however if someone disagrees with me I actually want to know the cause of that, and how his/her toughts differ on the topic. Leaving a '-' would cut the conversation in half as you wouldn't be forced to share your thougts when you disagree with someone. Plus, we have polls if we want to get answers to simple yes / no questions, up and downvoting is not required for this.

27 minutes ago, Kornél said:

The current system works just right, if someone agrees with me or want to support my idea, he/she can simply leave a '+' however if someone disagrees with me I actually want to know the cause of that, and how his/her toughts differ on the topic. Leaving a '-' would cut the conversation in half as you wouldn't be forced to share your thougts when you disagree with someone. Plus, we have polls if we want to get answers to simple yes / no questions, up and downvoting is not required for this.

You just wrote about 2 identical features, but completely agreed with one and disagreed with another. I believe that term is "oxymoron".

On 28.7.2016 at 0:40 PM, Rifleman said:

Y'know, I think this is unnecessary - if someone disagrees, they'll most likely post why they do so. This is something I like about the Hinterland forums - discussions are (mostly) civil and (mostly) calm. Reputation right now is, as I see it, unnecessary as well and more like a cute little gimmick. Sure, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to go to my profile page and the first word I see is "excellent", but then again, I don't gain anything from it and I don't want to.

The problem I personally see about downvotes is that if two people have a personal dispute over some topic they might start to downvote every post of each other they come across. Not sure if such a system would thus be a better indicator of a user's overall post quality than the current one.

As for only mods having the right to downvote... well, that would only make sense if we only downvoted spam, off topic or offensive posts, I guess. Downvoting posts based on their content/topic probably wouldn't be very representative if only four out of a few hundred active forum users can do it.  :big_smile:

38 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

The problem I personally see about downvotes is that if two people have a personal dispute over some topic they might start to downvote every post of each other they come across. Not sure if such a system would thus be a better indicator of a user's overall post quality than the current one.

As for only mods having the right to downvote... well, that would only make sense if we only downvoted spam, off topic or offensive posts, I guess. Downvoting posts based on their content/topic probably wouldn't be very representative if only four out of a few hundred active forum users can do it.  :big_smile:

And situation where 2 friends(or more) are upvoting every post that their friends make is a better system ?

I don't like the idea of down voting exactly for the reasons Scyzara mentioned above. If some people on the forum are out of line, let the mods deal with it.

This forum is not a game of scoring points, it's a platform where you can suggest ideas or talk about the game we all love.

So I can't agree with this suggestion of down voting.

21 minutes ago, alone sniper said:

I should start to looking for a friend!! :D:D:D:D:D

Well, it is a quite realistic possibility. Hell, i could even just make couple of extra accounts and farm points if i was into that kind of crap. 

Imo there should be either both options or none. There is no good system, since they all can be exploited.

2 hours ago, Scyzara said:

We're talking about community reputation here, rather than quality of their content. There's a number of people on here who are generally quite agreeable people, but IMHO, their ideas and posts are infantile or just generally poor. I've also seen the opposite.

The ability to tell troublemakers and problem individuals outright, from a moderator vetted score, would be invaluable to whether or not we are wasting our time in a debate with someone.

20 hours ago, ElvisHunter said:

That certainly works as well. :winky:

Remember that if you do see a particularly reprehensible post please do report it to the mods so we can look at it. As for down votes, I don't see it being super useful as community reputation isn't something that I (personally) use when considering the quality of someone's post.

Thanks for all your thoughts here on the reputation system. We don't, however, have any plans to introduce a "downvote" system. It's really too blunt of an instrument for the kind of community we like to foster here on the official forums. We prefer that if you disagree with a particular point of view, you engage in thoughtful discussion about why it is you have a different opinion. Or you can even just ignore the post and go on about your day. That works too.:coffee:

Archived