In regards to the Mountaineer's Hut

Crabcus

Greetings,

After searching for a base in a suitable location, I've came across the Quonset Gas station in Coastal Highway. However, the wolves have really become a problem ( yes I know that I can outrun them, but there's usually ~ 5 wolves outside). I was contemplating whether or not to move to the Mountaineer's Hut, and if it's an adequate base. The close fishing hole and abundant wild life appeals to me, but I'm wondering if the temperature boost inside of the hut is substantial/optimal.

Also, if I were to kill wolves in a surrounding region, would they respawn? Apologies if my question is quite vague, but to summarize it, I'd like to know if the Mountaineer's Hut is a decent and sustainable base.

It is a wonderful place for a base, if you play on Pilgrim, and if you have TONS of painkillers for the overly frequent and random sprains. There are TONS of wolves and bears throughout the entire region, and surrounding the Hut. It has also been my experience that they tend to respawn quicker than anywhere else when killed. As far as temperature goes, it is not considered an "indoor space" and doesn't get the constant indoor temperature like other buildings. You get a 10 degree boost above whatever outside temp is, so having tons of firewood, or a full set of crafted clothing and bedroll is essential. Lastly, the deer and rabbits seem to move around a lot, and some of the rabbit areas wont trigger your snares. Ive had snares out for 5 days in varying locations within an area that lousy with rabbits, and never caught one. Other times, you'll catch one or two, then not see a rabbit in that area again for a week or more.  Same with Deer, you never know from one day to the next whether they are going to be where they should. I rather like this, as its more realistic, but it forces you to move around more than you planned, and wolves are everywhere. The wolf spawns are exactly like they used to be everywhere else. You kill one one day, and he's back the next morning, if not sooner.  I wouldnt even consider trying to live there on stalker mode. Voyager, you could do it as long as your ammo held out, or if youre really good at getting in a shot on the wolf with a bow as he charges you so the struggle is short lived. 

Hi @Crabcus! Welcome! :coffee:

I agree with the comments above and would also advice only to go there with crafted clothes and enough ammo. It's a harsh environment but it's worth it staying there for a while, the sunsets/dawns are so beautiful in TWM! This map is a true beauty, but tough!

Here's a screenshot when I was exploring TWM in Pilgrim mode for the first time

screen_(879, 154, 374)_69424e2c-39af-40b3-b2b9-14bb6f5681fc.png

I love the mountaineer's hut as a base on Stalker.

Until you've crafted yourself a set of fur clothes you should better be prepared to light a fire during the night if necessary (quite immersive, imo), but apart from that the place hardly has any relevant disadvantages.

Lots of different food acquisition possibilities nearby (rabbit areas, fishing hut, two wolves and a deer spawn on the lake and two bear spawns not to far away) and firewood is also more than plentiful. Storage possibilities aren't bad either if you count in the fishing hut drawers. Another advantage of the hut is its crafting table and the natural interior lighting. I just like the place better than any indoor loading screen location. 

Long story short: The mountaineer's hut is by far my favorite ingame location for longer games. :normal:

On 7/26/2016 at 3:17 AM, Scyzara said:

I love the mountaineer's hut as a base on Stalker.

Until you've crafted yourself a set of fur clothes you should better be prepared to light a fire during the night if necessary (quite immersive, imo), but apart from that the place hardly has any relevant disadvantages.

Lots of different food acquisition possibilities nearby (rabbit areas, fishing hut, two wolves and a deer spawn on the lake and two bear spawns not to far away) and firewood is also more than plentiful. Storage possibilities aren't bad either if you count in the fishing hut drawers. Another advantage of the hut is its crafting table and the natural interior lighting. I just like the place better than any indoor loading screen location. 

Long story short: The mountaineer's hut is by far my favorite ingame location for longer games. :normal:

Mine as well, but I didnt want a new player going there with expectations of an idyllic paradise. Its a tough place to get along if you arent prepared for the worst.

One of my favorite things to do is start a new game in the region and survive off ONLY what's around in TWM, you better find the hatchet quick or you're done! It's tough on stalker, but very doable, especially once you memorize the landmarks.

@Scyzara I agree! I really like lighting a fire, just to keep warm, not just because I want one or I need to cook, etc

Sam

8 hours ago, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

One of my favorite things to do is start a new game in the region and survive off ONLY what's around in TWM, you better find the hatchet quick or you're done! It's tough on stalker, but very doable, especially once you memorize the landmarks.

@Scyzara I agree! I really like lighting a fire, just to keep warm, not just because I want one or I need to cook, etc

Sam

I'm doing this now (on Voyageur), with the additional restriction that I can't climb up any ropes for the first 100 days (so no Summit bonanza).  It's a great challenge, surviving with crappy clothes and only a knife for a weapon while you wait for stuff to cure. :)  

I'll add that with the changes to fishing this spot becomes even better.   On a different playthrough (all geared up, with level 4 fishing), my "hunting" days usually mean going out to the hut and fishing for 6 or 8 hours in one "cast".  I usually pull in about 1000 kcal/hour on really long duration casts (remember you can press ESC to cancel if needed.)  I pile the fish on the ice and then cook a bunch on sunny days (because magnifier).

And that's the final wonderful thing about mountaineers.... So. Much. Meat. Storage.  80kg between the hatch in the hut and the fish hut drawers.  Add another 10kg if you get the plastic container in the boat.

Also, if I were to kill wolves in a surrounding region, would they respawn?

Wolves will respawn eventually, but if you kill all of them off, it 'll take some time before they do. It might even take more time if you don't harvest everything from their carcassess, so that their bodies keep laying around (though I haven't tested this extensively).

Once you've killed the herd at Quonset, you'll be able to wander more freely about without getting jumped left and right.

An alternative might be to set up shop at the fisherman's huts, which also has a crafting table outside. There are less wolves to deal with, plus the occasional bear. You've got a fishing hut nearby (outside meat storage!), lots of crates, and Jackrabbit Island is not that far off.

If you start there, then answer is no for optional clothing.. it gets pretty cold there. Basically you have +15c bonus from what is outside (10 from hut and 5 from bed). Optional clothing without need of fire is all crafted clothing plus others... basically you need 20c or better clothing to be safe in the middle of the night and if blizzard hits. With crafted clothing (+21 and +15) i never needed to start a fire in the middle of the night+blizzard... clothing and bed is enough to not to get cold/hypotermia. 

But yeah for being cold reason, if you start a game there, most people go to inside caves for first few days/weeks because it has good and fixed temperatures, so i guess in a sense only then people have a base in TMW other than HUT. Once proper clothing acquired/made/crafted people move to hut for the reasons stated by others.... various food sources, plenty of wood etc.

p.s. for new player start in TMW is hard, i mean... a need to learn basics, then tricks, the map itself... that means plenty of deaths, but for veterans its not really that hard. I think i never died starting in TMW, even when it came out. Honestly, hatchet is not even really needed, because 5 minutes of real life time around hut, and can get 50+ sticks. Thats like almost 7 hours of burning time. It is of course quite demanding for first few days, because have to work quite a bit... but as far as recall, with a new start, i usually know that i made it and can survive 200+ days, after 2 days. All you need to do is go to clothing containers, and fix up the best ones, and end up with like +12-14 warmth bonus... most nights thats enough to survive in hut. So to sum it up, if you know what you doing, to get yourself in comfy situation all you need is like 2 days, after that it becomes easy.

edit: just did simple testing, basically in the hut during regular nights the cold is between -12 and -15 at peaks. If blizzards hits, can probably add another 10... so now you get the feeling how good of the clothing warmth bonus you need to live in the hut.

edit2: just had a night at mountaineers hut, inside temps were -28c, during the blizzard... but thats probably close to the max cold it can get.

Archived