Unresponsive main menu under Linux with the amd64 binary

duozerk

Hello,

since version .349, the main menu in the Linux version is unresponsive when running the game through the 64bits binary (on a 64bits system).
This appears to affect several users, see this GoG post: https://www.gog.com/forum/the_long_dark/v_348_and_v349_tld_will_not_run_on_mint_cinnamon_18/page1

Weirdly enough, when running the game through the 32bits binary, the issue does not occur.
As for a more precise description of the problem: the game starts fine; the initial disclaimer appears, and clicking with the mouse makes it go away; the menu background loads, and then clicking again makes the menu items appear. From that point on, it is not possible to click on any of the menu items (including Quit); the options highlight but clicking does nothing.

I happend to have the game both on GoG and steam (updates on GoG were a little too slow for my liking so I ended up buying it on steam as well ;-)); and I can confirm this occurs on both versions. In both cases, running the 32bits binary works (the menu is responsive).

[edit] Just saw that the steam and GoG binaries appear to be exactly the same; so I guess it's no surprise that it occurs on both.

Should've checked the log myself, sorry.

When reading the 64bits log I saw:

Couldn't open /home/user/long_dark/game/tld_Data/Plugins/x86_64/libAkSoundEngine.so, error: libSDL2-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

And later on, repeatedly:

DllNotFoundException: /home/user/long_dark/game/tld_Data/Plugins/x86_64/libAkSoundEngine.so
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) AkSoundEnginePINVOKE:CSharp_PostEvent__SWIG_5 (uint,uint)
  at AkSoundEngine.PostEvent (UInt32 in_eventID, UnityEngine.GameObject in_gameObjectID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at GameAudioManager.PauseAudio () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at GameManager.UpdatePaused () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at GameManager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(with a different stacktrace everytime)

So I just installed libsdl2-2.0-0 and now it works perfectly with the 64bits version. I already had the 32bits version of the library installed; hence why it was working with the 32bits binary.

It may be a good idea to list officially SDL 2.x as a requirement for the game in the future official README/doc (maybe it's already the case ?); especially since the library is dynamically opened during the execution and so the game *will* launch even without it.

Anyway, thanks a lot ! problem fixed :-)

Archived