Fuel Efficiency

continuity

I haven't actually stood and timed both under controlled conditions, but my instinct would be that the lantern is more efficient.  In fact, for my own self, I KNOW that it is, and here's why.  1, a torch requires matches to light every time, using another limited and valuable resource. 2, a lantern can provide momentary light simply by sparking the igniter, without using any fuel, as long as it actually contains fuel and as long as you don't hold the mouse button long enough for it to fully light the flame. Now, I'm not sure if this is intended, or a bug, or if by doing so would be considered an exploit, but it is what it is, and I often use it, when I don't really need full illumination, but there's a dark corner or something I want to investigate.  For others, the weight ratio of torches to lanterns for the time of illumination, or perhaps the ability to use a torch for a chance to avoid a struggle with a wolf is enough to sway them towards using them, but not for me.  Additionally, and again, I have not tested this, but it is my perception that a fully repaired lantern makes more efficient use of a liter of fuel, so I make sure to keep them well maintained. 

47 minutes ago, TROY said:

I haven't actually stood and timed both under controlled conditions, but my instinct would be that the lantern is more efficient.  In fact, for my own self, I KNOW that it is, and here's why.  1, a torch requires matches to light every time, using another limited and valuable resource. 2, a lantern can provide momentary light simply by sparking the igniter, without using any fuel, as long as it actually contains fuel and as long as you don't hold the mouse button long enough for it to fully light the flame. Now, I'm not sure if this is intended, or a bug, or if by doing so would be considered an exploit, but it is what it is, and I often use it, when I don't really need full illumination, but there's a dark corner or something I want to investigate.  For others, the weight ratio of torches to lanterns for the time of illumination, or perhaps the ability to use a torch for a chance to avoid a struggle with a wolf is enough to sway them towards using them, but not for me.  Additionally, and again, I have not tested this, but it is my perception that a fully repaired lantern makes more efficient use of a liter of fuel, so I make sure to keep them well maintained. 

Sparking the igniter does not actually provide momentary light. I've tried this before, though it drains a very small amount of fuel, but if you keep doing it, you'll easily see a reduction in fuel.

7 minutes ago, Crabcus said:

Sparking the igniter does not actually provide momentary light. I've tried this before, though it drains a very small amount of fuel, but if you keep doing it, you'll easily see a reduction in fuel.

Confirmed: sparking the lighter does consume some lantern fuel.

23 minutes ago, Crabcus said:

I'm sorry, but in regards to MY game, sparking the igntor DOES provide light, it provides a good deal of light, enough to illuminate an entire room, if only for a brief moment. However, I had never noticed this previously, as it is such a tiny amount, but I will concede that you are correct, it does burn a bit of fuel. I sparked my lantern twice ( it lights on the third spark) 5 times before it drained 10 milliliters of fuel. In other words, it went from .93 liters to .92 liters.  It actually didnt USE the fuel until after the 6th attempt. Now, perhaps this is random, but I tested this pattern twice, and both times, there was no fuel gone after 5 attempts, and 10 milliliters gone after the 6th.  I'm calling that more efficient use of fuel than a torch, especially since it didnt consume a match or cloth.

Yeah the lantern clearly uses less resources overall re matches (or striker), cloth, and reclaimed wood.  However, in some circumstances, if it makes the kerosene last longer then it may be worth it. Say for eg you're doing youtube videos want want to keep what you're doing illuminated for viewers.

Hmm, I'll test it out next time I start up a game.

Archived