VEGAN CHALLENGE (SANDBOX)

Pneuma

I'm gonna give this a shot.  On Stalker.  

I'll let myself eat:

Cattail stalks, Reishi, rose hips, coffee, tea, crackers, peanut butter, peaches,tomato soup, soda, and granola bars (gonna rule that the ones in game are vegan. :D ) .

I can wear:

Basic shoes, cotton socks, cotton long johns, jeans, cargo pants, basic gloves, mittens, fleece sweater, insulated vest, and the basic winter coat.

I'll start in CH for the abundance of loot - then, probably PV to round up the cattails, TWM for all the food loot, then off to ML to wind down my days with better weather.

At least I won't have to worry about guns, traps, bows, etc.  Also, probably not an issue, but I'm going to assume and fishing line I find is synthetic - can't make my own out of guts obviously, but I suspect keeping cruddy clothing in top shape is gonna be an issue.

ETA:  also, first on-the-fly ruling:  I am allowed to repair sneakers with "cured leather" harvested from other sneakers.  If I assume the sneakers are vegan to begin with, that's not much of a stretch.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thermal Underwear and stuff is guaranteed full synthetic, so no wool and are you guys telling me that the majority of you is wearing shoes/boots made of REAL animal hide/leather??? I mean, sure some of us will have maybe one jacket or a pair of boots made of real leather, but come on, 90% of all shoes and boots are made fully synthetic.

I would say this challenge is pretty easy, even if you would only be allowed to eat cattails. The thing is, that it is also very boring because you can tell exactly how long you will surive like this before you even start.

More interesting would be a "Vampire Challenge" where you are only allowed to eat raw meat :)

15 hours ago, MueckE said:

Thermal Underwear and stuff is guaranteed full synthetic, so no wool and are you guys telling me that the majority of you is wearing shoes/boots made of REAL animal hide/leather??? I mean, sure some of us will have maybe one jacket or a pair of boots made of real leather, but come on, 90% of all shoes and boots are made fully synthetic.

I would say this challenge is pretty easy, even if you would only be allowed to eat cattails. The thing is, that it is also very boring because you can tell exactly how long you will surive like this before you even start.

More interesting would be a "Vampire Challenge" where you are only allowed to eat raw meat :)

I'm just going by in-game decriptions, but assuming no boots, so no clothing that mentions wool or down.

I'm on day 4.  I make myself eat 2300 calories per day (so no starvation glitching).  I currently have over 19,000 calories of acceptable food stored (not including rose hips and reishi) - now granted, I started on CH, but have looted 80% of it.  With acceptable clothes in top shape, I can't get better than +9 temp, +3 WC.  So, lets say 9 more days of food here.  

I can probably get at least that (calories) on TWM - although cold is gonna be trouble - may have to make a fire every morning and night to maximize coffee and tea consumption.

Lets say PV and ML are close to the same - less loot, but lots of cat tails.  Not going to be much in the transition areas.  I'll be a little surprised if I make it to day 100. Can't decide if I should hit DP now - guess I should, so I don't have to trudge back through an empty CH.

3 minutes ago, nicko said:

hehe good luck @Thurman Merman hard life on TWM

I figure I'll have to start at least 3 fires a day - to both maximize tea and coffee calories and to get the warmth bonus.  Probably on PV, as well.  Walking the river to get all the cat  tails is gonna be hard if the wind doesn't cooperate.

ETA:  Even 2300 may be too many calories - because I'm not chopping much wood, skinning, or hauling heavy loads around, I'm not burning many calories each day.  I'm just trying never to go to 0 on calories.

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, stapeliad said:

you can't have ANY shoes, they all have leather.
I predict early frostbite.

You might be able to avoid it if you keep changing your socks regularly enough.

I'm not sure anybody's trying this any more though - thread is quite old.

I have tried a vegan challange of my own some time ago. I did it role-playing style, imagining what would go on in the character´s mind while she is starving, struggling to survive and is surrounded by non-vegan food options. The temptation. How it slowly dawns on her that she might not be able to make it if she stick to her vegan standards. I eventually ended up going back for some of the pork and beans cans, and simulating not eating the meat chunks by smashing the can instead of opening it the proper way. It was one of the most fun I had with this game with the added challenge and role-play element.

Ironically, I got eaten by a non-vegan wolf in the end while trying to harvest renshi mushrooms near the dam.

Archived