VEGAN CHALLENGE (SANDBOX)

Pneuma

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Pneuma I knew this challenge was coming! :big_smile:

Won't be easy to live as a vegan in this game! I do not know all the rules of being a vegan but I think that means also not killing animals, not even for pelts.  So no clothing crafting for extra warm clothes. Or is harvesting from an already dead animal allowed? I think vegans do not even wear leather shoes, so would they have to play the game barefoot?

This challenge won't be easy!

Sorry I won't join this challenge, I just love my steak! :winky:

But still curious if people can make it a long time with this set of 'rules' Please let us know how the challenge went!

38 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

I dont think its possible to last 2 long purely on cattails and canned peaches. Theres not enough of those to sustain player for any notable amount of time.

plenty of other vegan foods, it simply excludes chocolate, meat, fish, and canned milk, everything else is fair game.

23 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

plenty of other vegan foods, it simply excludes chocolate, meat, fish, and canned milk, everything else is fair game.

Everything else ?!??! There is nothing left.

23 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

mre's are also not stated as NOT being vegan, soooo...

Those are just generic MREs and they are usually packed for effectiveness, and judging by amount of calories they are nowhere near being vegetarian.

1 minute ago, Dirmagnos said:

Those are just generic MREs and they are usually packed for effectiveness, and judging by amount of calories they are nowhere near being vegetarian.

it doesn't say it has meat! :D

12 hours ago, Baukster77 said:

@sir ice could you set up the 'rules' for being a true Long Dark Vegan player?

As I mentioned before I guess killing an animal is not done, but is harvesting a hide from a dead animal ok?

No. Veganism is when you don't use any animal products. This would include the "basic boots" (which have leather according to the description) any hides, anything made out of hides, guts, and meat. Also you can't use the milk, pork and beans, chocolate, anything else like that. You could just eat peaches and drink tea and tomato soup and stuff. It would be impossible but if anyone wants to try... I guess they could.

4 hours ago, Docterrok said:

mre's are also not stated as NOT being vegan, soooo...

Given the number of vegans in Canada versus the number of MREs (or IPAs as the Canadian version is called), it is statistically safe to assume that even though vegan versions of the MRE (IPA) exist, the ones in the game aren't.

Nevertheless, this is a truly challenging, well, challenge. I tried to go vegetarian once in an earlier version, and I utterly failed - then again, I'm not a particularly good player in the first place. Looking forward to survival stories on this challenge!

Chocolate can be vegan, depending on what exactly is in it.

Also, some of the other foods you couldn't really tell if it's vegan or not. e.g. the tomato soup. Sounds vegan, but is it? Who knows what they put into it.

So, such a challenge would only make sense if you define an exact whitelist first.

Welcome to the forums @Pneuma ^_^

Given the situation the character finds themselves in veganism would be very, very hard to pull off. In winter meat is your best source of calories and hides would be necessary for clothing once synthetic materials are exhausted. Being a pescetarian is definitely possible but even being vegetarian would probably kill you unless you found a convenient unlimited supply of corn or something somewhere on the map...

Hm, yes, clothing would be very problematic, now that I think about it.

If you take away all of the wool and down stuff and the hides, you're left with the cotton stuff and some horrible piece of clothings (and the thermal underwear).

And some clothings, it's actually not clear if they're vegan or not. e.g. the expedition parka. Would expect it to have some kind of down or wool incorporated, though. So can't take that either.

Thus, I guess you would have a hard time with that set of allowed clothings, even if you don't restrict the food.

On 7/18/2016 at 3:44 AM, Resin said:

+1

gonna be eating a lot of cattails and mushrooms.

Are there any edible mushrooms in the game now? I know just reishy mushrooms or something.

On 7/18/2016 at 9:16 AM, sir ice said:

lol maybe that could be an achievment. I'm vegan but this would be funny.

Achievement I suppose. Funny indeed.

On 7/18/2016 at 7:00 PM, Dirmagnos said:

Yep, nothing left...

On 7/18/2016 at 2:11 AM, cekivi said:

Welcome to the forums @Pneuma ^_^

Given the situation the character finds themselves in veganism would be very, very hard to pull off. In winter meat is your best source of calories and hides would be necessary for clothing once synthetic materials are exhausted. Being a pescetarian is definitely possible but even being vegetarian would probably kill you unless you found a convenient unlimited supply of corn or something somewhere on the map...

Yep.

On 7/19/2016 at 8:59 AM, Berniyh said:

Hm, yes, clothing would be very problematic, now that I think about it.

If you take away all of the wool and down stuff and the hides, you're left with the cotton stuff and some horrible piece of clothings (and the thermal underwear).

And some clothings, it's actually not clear if they're vegan or not. e.g. the expedition parka. Would expect it to have some kind of down or wool incorporated, though. So can't take that either.

Thus, I guess you would have a hard time with that set of allowed clothings, even if you don't restrict the food.

On 7/18/2016 at 11:14 PM, sir ice said:

No. Veganism is when you don't use any animal products. This would include the "basic boots" (which have leather according to the description) any hides, anything made out of hides, guts, and meat. Also you can't use the milk, pork and beans, chocolate, anything else like that. You could just eat peaches and drink tea and tomato soup and stuff. It would be impossible but if anyone wants to try... I guess they could.

We gonna need all-artificial clothes. 

All-synthetic boots do exist! I found ones https://www.scarpa.com/phantom-guide. No leather or suede.

On 7/22/2016 at 2:34 PM, cullam said:

Seeing how many days you could survive like that sounds like a fun challenge!

The more cattails you get - the longer you will survive. Funny? Maybe only for a short time...

• 1 month later...

I totally agree that could be a interesting challenge. Moreover than difficulty, there's kind of philosophy in it. Ad TLD is carrier of a certain philosophy.

But, maybe a simple vegetalian challenge ? Beacause vegan seems so hard : without leather, without crafted items with any animal product. Waouw. 

So what could we eat vegetarian ? (complete this list guys)

- DRINKS : Mushrooms, Tea, Coffee, Rosehip, Sodas

- FOOD : Reeds (sorry for this english term i'm not sure), Energy Bar, Crackers, Tomatoes soup, Peaches, 

DEVS, why not create others products like :

- MANUFACTURED : rice, pastadeshydrated fruits....

- NATURAL : lichen (already old men beards) to eat like a soften soup, firs's leafs ou pine's leafs for tisane, and others plants you coul add like leek and other roots. A good way to promote wealth of your country !

And also, if you add more plants, so you can add the book of research "recognize and harvest plants".

And I think there are too many food items (quantity not diversity of course) in this game. And their not feed us enough. I wish less items but more calories for each.

>> more realistic and more happiness when we find one item (beacause it's more rare).

So, it should be others plants to feed us. In any case, i think when we are in this kind of situation , there are more plants to eat than animals to kill, I think.

Archived