Reclaimed wood

Tarflink

Ok, last thing I noticed for this game is reclaimed wood should be covered in varnish or stain.  Chairs, tables, ext.. generally have it to preserve the wood.  Cooking with it will / should make you extremely sick / taste terrible.  Even the fumes from the smoke will make you ill.  Also how much of the furniture you reclaim is made from press board?  That stuff dosen't burn well.  And has the same chemicals or different chemicals in them.

So in my opinion, reclaimed wood can be used for cooking, but it'll make you sick.  Otherwise just use it for heating and sit upwind of the smoke. =P   (just tryin to keep it real) =)

On 7/17/2016 at 9:52 AM, Tarflink said:

Ok, last thing I noticed for this game is reclaimed wood should be covered in varnish or stain.  Chairs, tables, ext.. generally have it to preserve the wood.  Cooking with it will / should make you extremely sick / taste terrible.  Even the fumes from the smoke will make you ill.  Also how much of the furniture you reclaim is made from press board?  That stuff dosen't burn well.  And has the same chemicals or different chemicals in them.

So in my opinion, reclaimed wood can be used for cooking, but it'll make you sick.  Otherwise just use it for heating and sit upwind of the smoke. =P   (just tryin to keep it real) =)

It would be fun in stalker;) +1

Well, I dunno what they use on them, but I once made the mistake of burning a pallet in my cookstove. These days about 3/4 of the pallets in circulation have some kind of varnish or preservative on them (of course I discovered this AFTER I burned it, hah!), It smelled like burning oil and the mac-n-cheese I cooked tasted kinda wacky... I probably would have been fine if I'd used a lid.

Sam

A little backstory to what I am about to say: I used to volunteer in some kind of 'Alternative Community Center' when I was a teen - it was basically an Antifa meeting point with all things you imagine. I was in the construction and maintenance team (which was cronically understaffed since everyone wanted to organize concerts and, uh, illegal activities. I am not proud of that time, by the way.) and one day we decided to tidy the place up since it looked exactly like you'd expect a place primarily inhabitated by punks and social rejects to look like. Long story short, we got ourselves a barrel and decided to just burn the trash, because only big corporations should adhere to environmental standards, yada yada yada.

To get to the point, the broken furniture we burned smelt really... weird. Kind of sweet, with a hint of burning plastic. So yeah, not everything that burns is necessarily good for your fire or your health. However, for warmth it's fine I guess.

15 hours ago, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

Well, I dunno what they use on them, but I once made the mistake of burning a pallet in my cookstove. These days about 3/4 of the pallets in circulation have some kind of varnish or preservative on them (of course I discovered this AFTER I burned it, hah!), It smelled like burning oil and the mac-n-cheese I cooked tasted kinda wacky... I probably would have been fine if I'd used a lid.

Sam

Agree. My old man receives a lot of pallets because they are used in the industry he works for transportation and he doesn't know what to do with them afterwards because they are crap wood and can't be used as fuel for barbecues because they don't burn as well and as you said, they usually have varnish or something.  

On 17.7.2016 at 6:52 PM, Tarflink said:

This makes no sense - 1 

furniture paint is not that dangerous, come to think of it when I was a kid we used to sneak in a freshly polished wooden floor room, and sniff the polish. It smelled quite nice, but sure it is still dangerous to eat the stuff but the fumes are not that dangerous. If you truly want keep it real in the game the character may comment that the meat tastes funny but to make you sick is too much. Also most of the furniture there was made ages ago so there are maybe little traces of the "Dangerous chemicals" left not to make a difference at all.

I've never burned chairs and tables but, I've burned pallets by the tons in fact that is how I start the fire every winter and guess what I roast sausages afterwards. 

18 hours ago, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

Sam

It depends on the pallets. Some are pressure treated so they'll contain arsenic and other fun chemicals. Other pallets are just wood or lightly painted and will burn fine with no fumes. Same goes for scrap lumber. Some is heavily treated/painted. Other times you can find untreated/lightly painted so it's really situational.

Still, bone dry scrap wood burns super well and, again provided there's good ventilation, shouldn't cause too many problems.

5 hours ago, cekivi said:

Still, bone dry scrap wood burns super well and, again provided there's good ventilation, shouldn't cause too many problems.

If you need quick heat, it's the way to go for sure! We had a string of non-treated pallets show up at work, I grabbed every single one for kindling. They're bone dry, bone baked in the desert during a 20 year drought kinda dry!

Sam

On 7/17/2016 at 7:52 PM, Tarflink said:

Cooking with it will / should make you extremely sick / taste terrible.  Even the fumes from the smoke will make you ill.  Also how much of the furniture you reclaim is made from press board?  That stuff dosen't burn well.  And has the same chemicals or different chemicals in them.

Disagree. My own experience of cooking with the reclaimed wood was not so terrible. Yes, the reclaimed wood could have something like the varnish covering, and it could make some taste change. But it burns. Small amount resides. It should take years of eating such food to do some noticeable harm.

On 7/18/2016 at 6:43 PM, Dirmagnos said:

I doubt that locals use cheap furniture from Ikea. Majority of it was probably made on site, with minimal chemical processing involved.

Agree

On 7/18/2016 at 2:14 AM, cekivi said:

Welcome to the forums @Tarflink ^_^

Furniture may be varnished but it'll burn off fast enough that you probably won't notice as long as the ventilation's good.

Agree. Moreover, even if the ventilation is not good, it is not that toxic. As from my experience, at least. It is low toxic actually. But may be cancerogenic though. 

wow from what i have experienced pallets are just wood with maybe a lot off nails in them. sure some do have a bit of exterior paint signage but that's about all.

lol why would a pallet be varnished? sheesh

35 minutes ago, nicko said:

wow from what i have experienced pallets are just wood with maybe a lot off nails in them. sure some do have a bit of exterior paint signage but that's about all.

lol why would a pallet be varnished? sheesh

Some pallets are treated with chemical preservatives to stop them rotting when they get left outside in the rain. This might apply to some of the benches and crates you find in game that can be broken up for fuel/material.

But I don't think the game really needs to worry about this, really. There are other more important aspects of firemaking/crafting/cooking that could be improved upon before they did this, to be honest.

5 hours ago, Pillock said:

Some pallets are treated with chemical preservatives to stop them rotting when they get left outside in the rain. This might apply to some of the benches and crates you find in game that can be broken up for fuel/material.

But I don't think the game really needs to worry about this, really. There are other more important aspects of firemaking/crafting/cooking that could be improved upon before they did this, to be honest.

Very true! :D

To address your question @nicko it again depends on what the pallet is used for. If it's for outdoor use the pallets are usually at least painted or pressure treated to prevent rot. Pallets for warehouses are left untreated because it doesn't matter - they're not exposed to the elements.

Archived