FireMaster Badge needs a reduction.

TROY

For one thing, 1000 fires is a bit high. Thats over 12 and a half hours of REAL TIME, just. lighting. fires. IF you light each one with 1 stick, and don't add any fuel, AND IF you never fail. C'mon guys. 500 is more on target I think.  Also, I think the reward is to great. level 3 is pretty high, and having such a perk would greatly reduce the challenge offered in any further play, regardless of the difficulty setting. I would much much rather see fire starting time cut in half as a reward for this badge.

I think most folks are focused on the fact that it isnt even working right now. It only tracks the very first fire that you build in any given fireplace/stove/barrel and campfires, so unless you go out and litter the whole map with burned out campfires, you cant even progress towards the badge so the reward being op is a moot point I guess.

on a pilgrim you can scavenge the whole mountain, get lots of matches/strikers

get a thousand of sticks, bind an autoclicker :)

once you run out of stuff - repeat the mountain run

I think after a few days you get a badge

I have 4% so far with 300+ days run, meh

2 hours ago, Schaumrolle24 said:

There is not much I could add to the first post.
I don't like the No-Tinder-Concern at all.

+1
TROYS suggestion i a nutshell:

Fire Master Badge
Requires 500 fires started
Provides the 50 % fire starting speed bonus, from fire starting level 5.

Yeah, and yeah again to the no tinder thing. I didnt bring that into this discussion, because its already being flogged to death in several other posts.

I have been trying for Fire Master. I just spent an hour using up cardboard matches in Quonset and then noticed the number of fires wasn't incrementing. I had to leave PV Farmstead because the number of camp fires around the house was causing heap crashes. It's pretty broken when trying achieve the badge causes the game to crash.

6 hours ago, miah999 said:

Have you tried starting a new game (don't delete your old one) to see if it's an issue with your current save file?

I can only speak for myself, but the answer is yes. The mechanic involved with tracking fires started is broken. The journal, and the badge, only give credit for the very first fire that you light in any given fireplace, barrel, or stove. The only way to advance towards this badge is to literally cover the map with campfires. I've tested this extensively on all 3 difficulty settings and with game saves from previous versions as well as the current version.  The dev team is aware of it and has reported that they are looking for the cause, so I expect it will be fixed soon. 

Yes we are looking into the tracking of the Fire Master feat. 

In terms of the requirements for the Feat itself, it's meant to be an objective for long-term engagement with the game. Considering the advantages that all the Feats offer, it's also important that the progression feel meaningful and satisfying. This experience could of course be different for everyone, depending on the the amount of time they regularly spend with the game, and also on how they actually choose to survive in the Sandbox. But we take on board everyone's thoughts in this thread. Thanks! :coffee:

• 6 months later...

Hi!I'm quiet a big fan of the game,can't find too many problems,but the fire master badge is definitely one.At the moment I'm at 342 hours of game time (real hours,not in game of course;)).Got all the challenges and feats ages ago,but the fire master is still just 24 percent!!!Think about reducing it please... A HUGE LONER

maybe the game needs a few fire starter levels? then master level can be left at 1000 more or whatever.

specially if you decided to add more complex fire starting methods. I think levels will be needed? you guys at Hinterland Studios have prob figured this out already anyways.

The buff for the Firemaster badge is just worthless. If you play Interloper and use the buffs then you can only choose two. Imho, you would be foolish not to pick Cold Fusion and Efficient Machine which are, by comparison, much easier to obtain and which provide better buffs. So what was the point in looking forward all that time to getting Firemaster? Stalkers and Voyageurs might be happy enough but Interlopers will be dismayed.

I wish the OP's suggestion was adopted. If it was, then I would always use the Firemaster badge but as things stand, I never will.

I like the firemaster badge the way it is. 1000 fires is a number, but i like to have an long term goal. Don't make it too easy. Remember it's a survival game. I for myself have only rare time to play the long dark, therefor is my firemaster skill at 13% and i'm fine with it. The only one that i got was the one with the sprinting bonus, all other badges are at 52, 63, 61 oder 73%

Is it true that reenflame an old fire doesn't count for the badge? Well, that is obviously a bug :D

And maybe the benefit is a bit too high. I like your suggestion to half the duration of lightning a fire. And i also think that the actual benefit impairs the experience with new survivors.

Has anyone actually ever gotten the firestarter badge?  I've got more than 1000 hours logged and I'm no where near the badge.  Also, I was wondering how the game actually counts the fires.  Because it almost looks like its just registering your top number, not your total number.  If I add up my top numbers for all my game play I come close to my percentage.  Whereas if I add up my total number of fires across the games I've kept the journals for I've got a lot more fires.  

But to the point.  The reward isn't particularly grand for the sheer amount of effort.  I'd be way more excited if the reward caused each piece of fuel to burn a few degrees hotter.  Even a degree or two on interloper and stalker could make a huge difference.

5 hours ago, Jolan said:

Did it count all of your fires? Or just some of them?

I wasn't really paying that much attention. I do know that when the first Interloper test build came out I was on 36% and during the test builds it went up to 72%. Then when they finished it went back to 36%. That hurt.

I can't remember how many hours I had played before badges were introduced but I think I got the Firemaster badge at around 1100 - 1200 hours (I have about 1750 now)

3 hours ago, mystifeid said:

I wasn't really paying that much attention. I do know that when the first Interloper test build came out I was on 36% and during the test builds it went up to 72%. Then when they finished it went back to 36%. That hurt.

I can't remember how many hours I had played before badges were introduced but I think I got the Firemaster badge at around 1100 - 1200 hours (I have about 1750 now)

So there's hope, thanks!

I didn't see anything in the changelogs for the Resolute Outfitter update (the most recent one with the new clothing system) about this, but it seems pretty clear to me that Hinterland has done some work on the Fire Master feat. If you have some old Journals, you can see this pretty easily. For me, I have a 529 day Voyageur run that I haven't played since the update. It shows only 61 fires for those 529 days -- roughly one every nine days. I started a new Voyageur run with the update, and I'm 238 days into that one. And I've made 128 fires -- that's one fire every two days. I feel that at this point the game is doing a pretty good job of counting all the fires I make, though I haven't taken the time to obsessively track each one to be sure.

3 hours ago, gossuth said:

I didn't see anything in the changelogs for the Resolute Outfitter update (the most recent one with the new clothing system) about this, but it seems pretty clear to me that Hinterland has done some work on the Fire Master feat. If you have some old Journals, you can see this pretty easily. For me, I have a 529 day Voyageur run that I haven't played since the update. It shows only 61 fires for those 529 days -- roughly one every nine days. I started a new Voyageur run with the update, and I'm 238 days into that one. And I've made 128 fires -- that's one fire every two days. I feel that at this point the game is doing a pretty good job of counting all the fires I make, though I haven't taken the time to obsessively track each one to be sure.

There was a bug months ago that made fireplaces and barrels only count towards the Fire Master Feat the very first time they were lit. To the best of my knowledge this was fixed, which could account for the difference you have observed. Hope that helps. 

Archived