Surviving when tinder runs out?

jgxxxx

Is there a way? I'm currently on day 23-25 something and I have no tinder, so am I screwed? I have looted everything to my knowledge. Think I found about 30 tinder plugs in total (counting the ones I made from newspaper).

I can survive food poisoning as long as I have antibiotics, but dysentery is impossible without clean water..

Edit: OK so I just found out it matters if you forage inside or outside >.<

the only way to get tinder and better wood is if you do it OUTSIDE!

I assumed my guy just went outside and looked for wood when doing it inside.. lol, explains why the cold-meter doesn't go up :D

You can forage tinder outside. Part of the survival is managing your tinder, not only food and clothes but tinder can always be gathered from foraging(if you got a hatchet its relatively easy to never run out unless you make 3 fires per day)

You don't need a hatchet but having one greatly helps. You get more resources for the same amount of foraging. Greater chances of getting tinder as well. Its usually cedar firewood or reclaimed wood. Fir firewood and tinder are not as frequent when foraging but definitely can be found.

My technique to save tinder is to collect lots of raw meat and wood and then cooking it all at once. You should also cook a few liters of water in order to continue foraging for more than a day.

I dont know if theres any differnce on where you forage for wood but the place where i found lots of cedar wood and fir wood was just outside near the camp office. If you get lucky you will also find tinder there.

I think though that if youre foraging inside you only find reclaimed wood, at least thats what happened to me at the beginning.

If you stay at Camp Office, go to the nearest lake fishing shack and search for wood there for 1h, it wont kill your temp and you have pretty good chance to find cider wood and plugs. After day 30 you're probably out of matches so unless you found the Holy Looking Glass, you're screwed anyway :)

Cheers,

TL

..I'm in day 24, and I've got like 10+ tinders and still has 3 newspaper rolls and 3 newspaper to harvest. I've got 50 cardboard matches in the drawer, and keep 10pcs with me. I got 13 wood maches, also.

In my opinion you don't need to make fire ever day. When I make one, I used to cook enought meat and water for at least 3 more days, and I'm warming up while I'm sleeping, so rarely use any fire for this purpose. So, typically I only have to make fire at every 3-4 days.

Good suggestions. I got to day 50 without running out of tinder or matches, I have a lot left. I always used accelerant if I had one, so i wouldn't waste tinder.

I almost always ate raw meat and only cooked water. I also have 100+ reclaimed wood, as foraging for wood doesn't drain more health than resting.

Thanks for all the tips in here. I actually found the 'Holy Looking Glass' (lol) in my current play-through, but I left it on the shelf when I the description, "can be used on sunny days." :}

I'm sure it will come in handy when I get to where I can survive more than three days. :P

Don't light multiple fires. Light one fire, keep feeding it logs, and do all your cooking and boiling in one shot. That will greatly reduce the number of tinder and matches required.

Newspaper can be harvested for 3 tinder.

There really should be an option to harvest wood (especially low-grade reclaimed wood) for 10 tinder or so. Just use a knife or hatchet to shave away and a chunk of wood.

Weather conditions do affect foraging success outdoors. Indoors it doesn't matter. How much light there is will affect both indoor and outdoor success also. When outdoors, the location doesn't matter.

One trick I use for conserving firestarting material is I will use use a higher starting percentage firewood to get my fire started, then I use my reclaimed wood to feed the fire. This way I'm not using up materials unnecessarily with a lower chance of starting success.

Agree with the person who said this should be something you can make as long as you have a tool for the jobb (knife or hatchet). Actually you do not need a tool either. You can just rip of birch bark and use it as tinder. It is very easy even in canada :-) Rip it up and put it in you pocket. There it will dry up and be ready when you need it.

Archived