Nightmares in the dark.

Docterrok

Next article, why this idea is a good one:

1.  This feature could be used to tell your character that they are slowly dying. For example, if the temperature dropped you could see a frost fog slowly fasten itself to the surroundings and you before a mist ice claw looms out of the fog before waking up. It'd be like the demon that the cold deserves but not the one it needs to kill you. If you were attacked by an animal while you were sleeping you could be attacked by a monstrous demon version of it in your nightmare before seamlessly waking as you fend off the real wolf in a semi-dream state. It's also kind of ridiculous and bad but if you were thirsty you could have a dream that you were in a dessert or if you were hungry you could have a dream that you were standing in a larder filled with pinnacle peaches. If you were almost dead you could even dream of going to heaven (look up "Exposure" by Wilfred Owen).

2. These could easily be used in story mode to add a mental level to the main protagonist which would be uncomprehendable otherwise. You'd honestly feel the emotion of them raging raging against the dying of the light.

3. You could have scary dreams of where you were sleeping to make the player and the character question which one is real by starting by waking up where you went to sleep (it's like a dream within a dream only a nightmare within another nightmare). I can see this working nicely in dark location such as: the Hydro Damn,  the Lighthouse, the mines, the whaling warehouse, maybe even dreaming there was a train coming when sleeping near railway lines.

4. Maybe add in some happy dreams the lower the condition of your character. I once knew a sailor who described drowning to me. He sad it was like going home. Your character should slowly drift away into The Long Dark.

Just my thoughts, this is definitely a good idea

5 hours ago, Docterrok said:

Should nightmares be very rare, random occurrences?

Yes, making them happen too often might ruin their psychological effect on the player and their experiences 

On 2017-04-04 at 2:49 PM, henroe32 said:

Dreams could also be used to show off the Aurora Borealis. I've been playing for ages but haven't yet seen it weirdly.

It has not been implemented. However, there is heavy speculation that it will be in the Story Mode update...

On April 5, 2017 at 8:21 PM, EricTheGreat12 said:

Yes, making them happen too often might ruin their psychological effect on the player and their experiences 

It has not been implemented. However, there is heavy speculation that it will be in the Story Mode update...

True, but nightmares could show off some pretty cool stuff.

Archived