Sleeping in Cars

continuity

24 minutes ago, continuity said:

So I tried sleeping in a car, from being perfectly warm when I went to sleep, I died of hypothermia 7 hours into the sleep.  Is that normal? did I do something wrong?

It can happen for sure, depending on how the weather may have changed. When Resting or Passing Time in an outdoor location or a location where you can't regulate the temperature reliably, it's usually good to sleep in small increments. A tough lesson, but one we've all had to learn at some point. :coffee:

The temperature inside cars depends on the outside temperature. So yes, given you don't have the best clothing available and no bearskin bedroll (or it's night or a blizzard occurs or whatnotelse) it's normal to freeze inside a car. Never sleep more than 2-3 hours in a row inside a car if you want to be on the safe side. :winky:

2 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

The temperature inside cars depends on the outside temperature. So yes, given you don't have the best clothing available and no bearskin bedroll (or it's night or a blizzard occurs or whatnotelse) it's normal to freeze inside a car. Never sleep more than 2-3 hours in a row inside a car if you want to be on the safe side. :winky:

not true! if you find something called "Docterrok's mixtape" and put it in, this happens.

ssssss.png

1 hour ago, Mikeyd0577 said:

YOU CAN SLEEP IN CARS ?!?!?!?!  I really had no clue you could do that!!!!  I also just found out today that you can open the cash registers... found a bullet!!  

You can find my mixtape in registers too, BECAUSE ITS CASH MONEY!

2 hours ago, continuity said:

Surely, if it got that cold during the night i'd wake up though? 

Not necessarily. Hypothermia makes you lethargic, so you would just quietly slip away into the Long Dark without becoming aware of it.

Under normal conditions yes, we do wake up because we're cold. But in TLD, we're already cold, then add onto the top of this we're exhausted. So we fall into a deep sleep from which there is no waking . . . 

On 7/13/2016 at 9:51 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

When Resting or Passing Time in an outdoor location or a location where you can't regulate the temperature reliably, it's usually good to sleep in small increments.

How do you envision this works? My impression is that most alarm clocks would be broken in the TLD setting. One can more or less successfully try to sleep lightly if the situation requires so, but it would make an interesting change if exhaustion would lead to an increasing risk sleeping longer than desired.

56 minutes ago, norup said:

How do you envision this works? My impression is that most alarm clocks would be broken in the TLD setting. One can more or less successfully try to sleep lightly if the situation requires so, but it would make an interesting change if exhaustion would lead to an increasing risk sleeping longer than desired.

That's an intriguing idea! What do you think would be an appropriate amount of "oversleep" for this extremely exhausted state? Should it down to chance?

17 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

That's an intriguing idea! What do you think would be an appropriate amount of "oversleep" for this extremely exhausted state? Should it down to chance?

This could be an interesting mechanic, that when a character lays down to sleep they sleep until rested, too cold, or hungry/thirsty to sleep any longer. If we as players want to control how long we sleep we first have to find a wind-up alarm clock like a "Big-Ben" or similar, and set an alarm to wake us.

It's very hard to just wake up when your really tired, one military/survival trick is to drink a full canteen before sleep, the need to pee usually wakes you up in two to three hours.

16 hours ago, continuity said:

I was neither cold nor exhausted when I went to sleep.  Feels like temperature was +2c. Went to sleep... dead.  May as well have shot myself in the head. Not sure thats how hypothermia works.

I think like others have mentioned, make sure you have the best of clothing and a bedroll before you trying sleeping out in minus weather conditions. also wind chill factor plays a part. Fire helps too :)

Also I think the sleep in a car action needs to be more intuitive / easy to find use.

15 hours ago, miah999 said:

It's very hard to just wake up when your really tired, one military/survival trick is to drink a full canteen before sleep, the need to pee usually wakes you up in two to three hours.

Or three cups of tea . . .

As someone who worked overnight shifts for seven years, I can vouch for this. It works very well!

On 7/14/2016 at 0:15 PM, continuity said:

Surely, if it got that cold during the night i'd wake up though? 

It used to be that, when playing in voyager, you would wake up if you started to freeze.  Are you playing on stalker or something?  I'm hoping this game mechanic has not changed.  I don't depend on it that much anymore because I can't sleep very long because I don't get tired enough.  I'd still like to know that it's there though.

4 hours ago, fearofspam said:

It used to be that, when playing in voyager, you would wake up if you started to freeze.  Are you playing on stalker or something?  I'm hoping this game mechanic has not changed.  I don't depend on it that much anymore because I can't sleep very long because I don't get tired enough.  I'd still like to know that it's there though.

Yes, playing on stalker, is that it then? its a difficulty based mechanic?

On 7/14/2016 at 4:12 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

+1 for new/refined mechanics on sleep.

I would imagine that effects of exhaustion on "oversleep" would be more pronounced when trying to rest for shorter periods. If selecting 1 hour of rest at 100% exhaustion the player might oversleep by anywhere from 1-4 hours, but if selecting 10 hours of rest there may be little effect. 

However, exhaustion might also affect how easily a player's rest is interrupted. If a fire goes out on a "light sleeper" it may wake them up more or less immediately. But if the fire goes out on an exhausted player, it may take longer to wake up in response to the change in the environment (either time-delayed tigger or less sensitive trigger, ie greater change in temp or condition % before waking).

Another potential aspect of this mechanic would be a new affliction: sleep debt. I imagine it would work like hypothermia or cabin fever, where if the player spends too much time exhausted, they would suffer a temporary penalty. Perhaps a reduction to their maximum fatigue? The treatment would be similar as well, where a certain amount of hours must be spent not-exhausted (24? 48?) to recover.  

On 7/13/2016 at 8:57 AM, Mikeyd0577 said:

YOU CAN SLEEP IN CARS ?!?!?!?!  I really had no clue you could do that!!!!  I also just found out today that you can open the cash registers... found a bullet!!  

I just found out the same thing a few seconds ago.

• 1 month later...

Archived