Timberwolf Containers Becoming Ruined & Cannot Be Opened

Rachael

Bug name: Hacksaws ruin containers

Bug description:

If using a low-condition Hacksaw on a locked Cargo Container there is a chance the Hacksaw will break, cancelling the unlocking of the Cargo Container and the Hacksaw becomes "Ruined". If this happens the locked Cargo Container has a chance of also becoming "Ruined" meaning it cannot be accessed even using a new intact Hacksaw. 

Repro steps:

1) Have a single, low-condition Hacksaw in player inventory. Save game.

2) Attempt to open a locked Cargo Container in Timberwolf Mountain.

3) If the Hacksaw breaks check the Cargo Container. If the Hacksaw doesn't break quit and reload the game and repeat steps 1 to 3.

4) The Cargo Container will often have changed it's label from "(Locked)" to "(Ruined)" and be inaccessible.

Screenshot: http://imgur.com/a/th8xh imgur album.

Coordinates: (936.8, 472.1, 1171.7) Also in screenshot.

Visibility: Often. Out of 10 times the Hacksaw became "Ruined" a total of 8 times resulted in the locked Cargo Container also becoming ruined.

• 10 months later...
Just now, cullam said:

Just had this bug occur on the summit of Timberwolf Mountain, while playing Hopeless Rescue Challenge, on the latest build. 

This is not a bug and is working as intended.  You need to be careful when using a low condition hacksaw, or you will render cargo containers unusable.  ;)

Destroying the innards of the lock is my guess but I always thought using a hacksaw to begin with was unthematic. The prybar should work far better. I think it's just a problem of too many tools or tools without enough options for what to do with them. 

Archived