tool box

Dahoset

The toolbox used to be necessary for tool repair, such as axes, knives and guns. You'd need the toolbox + scrapmetal + fir log, and if succesful, you'd get a 30% repair.

At some point, wetstones and rifle cleaning kits were introduced.

After that, toolboxes were pretty much redundant. Scrap metal can still be used for the forge or for crafting fishing hooks of course.

I'd like to see an overhaul where the developers reduce the amount of ready-to-use tools, and make toolboxes a valuable and highly prized item again.

3 hours ago, TWM said:

After that, toolboxes were pretty much redundant. Scrap metal can still be used for the forge or for crafting fishing hooks of course.

I respectfully disagree :) Toolboxes are necessary for repairing the hacksaw, the most efficient tool for harvesting meat from carcasses (at least by some standards).

3 hours ago, Dahoset said:

i can repair my axes and kinves oO 

omg i ll try it tonight 

thank you answering so quickly :) it ll change my life 

Used to. You can no longer repair axes and knives with tool boxes. You need to use the whetstone instead.

arf ok  ... so i can only repair the hacksaw... i almost neveer use hack saw :( 

so i have to move to find some whetstone again and again. at least it force me to move :P 

and the hacksaw is really the best tool to harvest meat ?? it seems it was longer than knife to me.

note for myself : pay attention to "used to" next time.

thank you for answer :) 

Why would you repair the lantern, though? You can just pick up another one.

Anyway, I've never had a lantern break on me, but even if it did, there's plenty of other lantern's going around

@Dahoset: I'm assuming what @Drifter Man is referring to when he saws the hacksaw is the "best" is that it's still repairable with scrap metal. Since there is more scrap metal in the game than you could ever use you can keep the hacksaw working long after you run out of whetstones for the knife or hatchet.

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

@Dahoset: I'm assuming what @Drifter Man is referring to when he saws the hacksaw is the "best" is that it's still repairable with scrap metal. Since there is more scrap metal in the game than you could ever use you can keep the hacksaw working long after you run out of whetstones for the knife or hatchet.

Thanks - that's exactly what I meant. Hacksaw is slower than knife, and the carcass has to be frozen for it to be any good. However, knife wears out fast (ca 150 days if used intensively, and the same goes for each whetstone you find), while hacksaw can be kept in working order for eternity with all the scrap lying around in the game. And it performs better than the improvised tools.

But unless you plan to live for 1000+ days, the toolbox is indeed sort of redundant, unfortunately.

On 7/7/2016 at 0:37 PM, cekivi said:

I switched over to the frozen meat - use a hacksaw for that very reason.  Seriously added longevity to my ax and knife, particularly since I've found way more tool boxes than wetstones.

Archived