Weight

Apart from the fact that the clothes you're wearing probably shouldn't count towards your inventory weight in the same way as stuff in your back-pack does, 30kg is more than generous. It's too much, in fact.

I'm packing a suitcase today for a flight, and it probably weighs about 25 or 26 kg. It's bloody heavy, and if it didn't have wheels, I'd be dreading lugging it about through the train network to get to the airport. I certainly wouldn't want to be carrying it on my back through snow and wind, up and down hills on uneven terrain while being chased by wolves.

30kg is more than enough. If you were hiking around in snow all day you wouldn't be able to carry close to this unless you had a sled. Plus, minimizing weight makes you think more about loot priorities. Don't pick up everything you find. 

Player has capabilities of a bulimic, with this 30kg restriction, that include even worn clothes. Kids probably carry to school more.

When thers blizzard outside i think that my backpack is only thing holding me on the ground. God forbid i get it to 40kg, il be moving at the pace of a snail, all that EXTREME weight pinning me to the ground. I used to carry 50kg cement bags working construction, all day long, but protagonist apparently have problems to carry even half of that, spread across whole body.

Welcome to the forums @Pitchblack218! ^_^

On topic, I've gone overnight camping with a 25kg pack (not counting clothing) in the summer. Is it doable? Sure! Could I carry more? Of course! Would I want to? Heck no! 25kg is not fun to have on your back all day on uneven terrain.

As it is, I'm fine with the weight limit. Snow is much more difficult to move through than the packed earth of summer. Although a sled would be a nice addition.

It aint the same thing, carrying a backpack through snow and uneven terrain, than lifting weights at work or the gym. I completed the exams for being a mountaneer guide (low mountain, below 2k meter). It was a 10 km hike with 10kilos that had to be completed in under 2h to pass. I'm in pretty good physical shape and it was quite a test; and not just for me: We were less than 10%  of the people that presented to the exams at the finish line.    

Just imagining carrying 30kg through the whole day, under snow, strong winds or even blizzards, makes me feel our character is quite a hero. I for sure would be carrying much less than that! 

Another topic would be to gain some capacity over time. People like the sherpas can carry an insane amount of gear. Of course this is a mix between genetics and getting used to it. After 100, 200, 300 days carrying weight our body should get stronger if we are well fed and avoiding deseases. It would also, of course, make you consume more calories! 

6 hours ago, Ohbal said:

It aint the same thing, carrying a backpack through snow and uneven terrain, than lifting weights at work or the gym. I completed the exams for being a mountaneer guide (low mountain, below 2k meter). It was a 10 km hike with 10kilos that had to be completed in under 2h to pass. I'm in pretty good physical shape and it was quite a test; and not just for me: We were less than 10%  of the people that presented to the exams at the finish line.   

That's one of the reasons I don't mind the 30kg "limit". It counts clothing (so your 10kg of gear + what you're wearing) and you can go over up to 50kg if you really want to and just pay the price for it.

i don t talk about weight  you can carry enough to travel it s the more important, 

a few days ago i move from coastal highway to TWM with all my stuff ( all furs clothes and bear bedrolls, lantern and 1l of fuel, torch tool axes prybar bow and rifle etc etc )

i walked slowy but i walked ^^ and i could go to TWM ( okay i had to make the climbing in 2 times ^^) 

i don t even look the weigh of my bag, i need this stuff and i can carry it all  to the house of TWM 

it take my a lot of coffee and some nap after lunch in the snow :P 

On 7/6/2016 at 0:52 PM, Ohbal said:

Just imagining carrying 30kg through the whole day, under snow, strong winds or even blizzards, makes me feel our character is quite a hero. I for sure would be carrying much less than that! 

Youre making it sound like player is climbing Everest. Most of the time youre moving thru fairly even terrain or snow that is maybe ankle-deep. Player can select his pace and directions hes going. And those 30 kilos also include everything that player has on him(with exception of underwear, altho that is also debatable).

Actually I think the 30kg is just about right.  Its not as though its a hard limit anyway, i'm frequently lugging 35kg back to camp when i've taken down a deer and got some firewood.  Any more would be a little silly, more importantly it works for the game.

I don't have a problem with the in-game weight limits.. but some (thankfully, not many) of the items are ridiculously heavy compared to their real-life counterparts..

I mean, 16 water purification tabs, or 120 wooden matches, weighs a kilo? Seriously? Maybe on Jupiter perhaps.. 

16 minutes ago, ShawnB said:

Just noted the other day. 1 cloth is 0.1 kg. It can be harvested into two bandages totalling 0.2 kg...

I seem to recall that something similar happens when you break newspaper down into tinder...

And something similar (though not as extreme) happens when you make torches. Reclaimed wood, cloth and kerosene totaling 0.55 kg becomes two torches totaling 0.6 kg.

On 7/7/2016 at 3:20 PM, Dirmagnos said:

Youre making it sound like player is climbing Everest. Most of the time youre moving thru fairly even terrain or snow that is maybe ankle-deep. Player can select his pace and directions hes going. And those 30 kilos also include everything that player has on him(with exception of underwear, altho that is also debatable).

Lol, not really. The example I provided based on my own experience was a low mountain one (below 2k meters). The test I did had a great deal of ramps, which is something to expect when hiking on mountains.

I just came out today from a weekend hike, and again, I can see a clear difference between carrying a backpack with 10kg through the whole day and across uneven terrain (not climbing the Everest, just walking up and down), and lifing weights at my training sessions. 

Just to clarify, I'm not saying it requires a super human to carry more than 30kg. It just requires training. Roman legions were able to move with 50kg in gear. Sherpas can carry almost their own bodyweight on the Himalayas... but our character ain't either. He is just a pilot, she is just a doctor. They are not supposed to be trained as elite athletes or ancient soldiers. Again, I'd be in favour or a system that would allow our characters to get stronger if they move with heavy weights while they are well fed and healthy (and weaker if they don't). That would make sense, but starting off with the ability to carry that much gear is a bit unrealistic in my opinion :) 

On 7/6/2016 at 8:46 PM, cekivi said:

Welcome to the forums @Pitchblack218! ^_^

Although a sled would be a nice addition.

I'd love that. I spend weeks in-game hauling stuff around and I've still not got that close to finishing my "Hoarder" objective of bringing everything from all maps that is non-renewable back to one central base where I will restart society with my empire of cloth, metal, jerry cans and lanterns.

19 hours ago, Ohbal said:

They are not supposed to be trained as elite athletes or ancient soldiers. Again, I'd be in favour or a system that would allow our characters to get stronger if they move with heavy weights while they are well fed and healthy (and weaker if they don't). That would make sense, but starting off with the ability to carry that much gear is a bit unrealistic in my opinion :) 

Yes, that would be optimal. While i can understand that player is inexperienced nor properly conditioned for challenges at hand, it would make sense that as time goes by he gets better.

Finding more efficient ways to pack and distribute weight across whole body and training himself physically to be able to carry more with less effort, as he grows muscles in areas he didnt even know existed.

Without perks of modern life to weaken them ppl do tend to become far more resilient, both in body and mind.

"Most people are so ungrateful to be alive, but not you, not anymore..."

Archived